how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aleshik1

join:2004-07-10
Newark, NJ

Hundreds of browser windows started to open upon websurfing

I was just surfing the web reading some news articles from google news search etc..I forgot which site in particular and I can't find it in my browser history.
I am using IE6 windows xp media sp2.
I have avg antivirus free edition with latest definitions.
What happend what:when I went on the site all of a sudden literally HUNDREDS of IE windows started to come up at a rate of about 10 new windows a second.IE6 is not a tap browser and they all opened in a new window.the windows were to my default browser homepage.I had to shut my computer off ASAP as I was worried of a crash.when I rebooted however , everything seems fine and I ran a Hijackthis log and didn't find anything suspicious in particular .I am 100% confident this was not because of an accident pressing of the internet button on my keyboard or a simular reason.Someone help?

Its a Secret
Please speak into the microphone
Premium
join:2008-02-23
Da wet coast
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Spawning windows is an old warez site trick using meta refreshs, each to a new website. Scares the bejeez outta ya, doesn't it?

Set your popup blocker in IE, and that should stop it. Don't forget to clear your cache, and clean all those cookies they left behind, as well. Do an AV scan just to make sure.
--
"In the future, that which is not mandatory will be illegal"

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to aleshik1

Run more tools to be sure:

»Security Cleanup FAQ »Mandatory Steps Before Requesting Assistance

Ivybridge_I7
Cyber-Crime Researcher OpSec
Premium
join:2004-06-09
Daytona Beach, FL
kudos:2
reply to aleshik1

said by aleshik1:

I was just surfing the web reading some news articles from google news search etc..I forgot which site in particular and I can't find it in my browser history.
I am using IE6 windows xp media sp2.
I have avg antivirus free edition with latest definitions.
What happend what:when I went on the site all of a sudden literally HUNDREDS of IE windows started to come up at a rate of about 10 new windows a second.IE6 is not a tap browser and they all opened in a new window.the windows were to my default browser homepage.I had to shut my computer off ASAP as I was worried of a crash.when I rebooted however , everything seems fine and I ran a Hijackthis log and didn't find anything suspicious in particular .I am 100% confident this was not because of an accident pressing of the internet button on my keyboard or a simular reason.Someone help?
Please for your own internet safety, stop using Internet Explorer and start using Firefox version three.
--

Specializing in "takes downs" of phishing and advance fee scams
Send your Phishing/Advance fee scams to: phish@antihotmail.com
»/profile/1021645
»fraudwatchers.org/forums/

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX
reply to aleshik1

When you run accross that just hold down alt+f4 untill they all close out that is the only way out. No amount of popupblockers woll stop this trick.