spc
Search similar:

uniqs

telhack
join:2001-11-02
Miami, FL

telhack

configuring pc's behind atlantic broadband

I have a couple of clients that converted their DSL service to cable. Previously I setup a port forwarding for their CCTV pc so they could view from remote locations. I have never done this on cable broadband service so I am not sure what needs to be done. Is the provider supposed to access the cable modem to setup the port forwarding and firewall access? Do I install a router behind the cable modem and configure it (and if so what is the typical setup), or do I just assign static IP provided by Atlantic broadband on the pc needing it for the CCTV?
NetLarry
join:2007-03-18
Johnstown, PA

NetLarry

1) Nothing needs to be done to the modem. Ports are not blocked or manipulated at or by the modem.

2a) Residential internet service is dynamically addressed using DHCP, so there is no static address. It is possible to obtain a static IP address, but that is typically used for commercial customers.

2b)Using a dynamic address would require an additional service (like DynDNS). A static address is preferred to simplify this type of application. Just call your local ABB office and inquire about a static address. An extra charge may apply.

3) Router is the only practical way to go. The router is where the ports are forwarded and the firewall settings configured. See the router instructions for the exact procedure for your model. If you get a static address, then you would manually enter that in the router configuration.

If you've done this with DSL+router, it won't be that different. Just remember that the router is the place to do port configuration.

NetLarry

telhack
Miami, FL

telhack

Thanks, its a commercial account. They were given a static IP at my request. I had thought that the cable modem's were configurable like the DSL routers. I just realized that they are like the first DSL modems of the past with no configurations, back then the login functions were performed by the software on the PC.
So I will install the router, etc. I guess there is no login so I leave that open?
NetLarry
join:2007-03-18
Johnstown, PA

NetLarry

Right. No need for username/password like in the PPPOE for DSL. Just put the static IP in the router configuration. The router should pull the DNS automatically. If DNS is not pulled, call ABB tech support for the DNS servers for your local system (or use OpenDNS servers, if you prefer).

Once you have the internet working on the PC behind the router, manually configure the router with your port forwarding and firewall configuration.

Starter HSI service may not have adequate bandwidth for video monitoring applications; the Preferred HSI service is suggested for best video performance.

NetLarry

telhack
Miami, FL

telhack

Thank you for your quick and concise reply. Have a happy new year!