spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

How can I avoid Dish's $5 fee with VOIPo?

I have a Dish 625 DVR and will be charged a $5 fee for not having a POTS line plugged into it. Does anyone know of a way to avoid this? Would using a DSL filter help?

Russell_

join:2006-04-06
said by me1212:

I have a Dish 625 DVR and will be charged a $5 fee for not having a POTS line plugged into it. Does anyone know of a way to avoid this? Would using a DSL filter help?
How does Dish know your connected (VOIPo) line is not POTS? And, why do they care as long as a phone line is connected?
--
Russell

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
It needs to be able to dial home and report in -- the modem probably has issues syncing up.

The newer receivers have Ethernet ports and will phone home over IP, which makes this a non-issue going forward.

videobruce

join:2002-05-14
Buffalo, NY
reply to me1212
They charge you $5 additional if you don't want to have your phone line connected??

What happens if you only have cellular?
--
Yearly 'packaged' VoIP deals, just might not be a 'deal'.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to me1212
I've heard that in the near future Dish will waive the $5 phone line fee on the primary receiver. Most likely this is because of customers that use VoIP or cellular rather than a land line. If you can plug it into ethernet that's the best solution.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
The ethernet is only for HD receivers, for the time being.

In OCT when I get my HD receiver that will work, but i'll still have this one, their records should be able to show it just a dual tuner, but alas.

I read somewhere a DSL filter might help, is that ture?

christcorp
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to me1212
The purpose of the phone line is 2 fold.

1) All pay per view and download firmware upgrades. Obvious they want you to order pay per view, and you are less likely if you don't have a phone line.

2) The main reason was because if you had MORE than 1 receiver; the 2nd receive is ONLY an additional $4.99 a month to add onto your primary account. Well; if you buy a 2nd receiver and dish and connected to MOM and DAD's house in Virginia; and you live in Texas; and you put it on the primary account; then MOM and DAD get satellite tv for $5 a month. hence; the reason for the phone line is to validate caller ID and ensure that the receiver was at the place of residence.

Now; direct and dish network from what I remember has totally abandoned this policy if you only have 1 receiver. Obviously, you are paying full price, so it doesn't matter. If it's for the 2nd receiver and on, I am not 100% sure if Dish network has changed policy or not. I am using directv. I would go MONTHS without a phone line. (I HAVE 3 RECEIVERS). They never charged me extra for it. However; with VoipO; it seems to work fine. Anyway I have it connected again.

For what it's worth; my directv HD receiver (NOT TIVO OR DVR); works fine on my voipo line. I can look at my call log in the vpanel and see where it may have called 2 or 3 times for .5 minutes (30 seconds or less) and I know it didn't go through. Then I'll see it connect for about a full 1 minute. I know then that it worked, and I won't see another entry for a week or two. I never do PPV, but I'm sure I could. For a while there, my receiver was calling 20-30 times a day and couldn't get through. I did some experimenting with using a dsl filter (In reverse) as well as a telemarketer rejector e.g. "TELE-ZAPPER". It tends to delay the signal and filter it enough to allow it to work.

Anyway; that's the reason that the sat companies have the requirement for a phone line. But Directv hasn't enforced that in years. And neither enforces it if you only have 1 receiver. later... mike....

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
Dish does not "enforce" it, its because the 625 is a dual tuner and the phone line is to make sure it ONE receiver not TWO. I have a single turner and did not have it plugged in for like 3-4 years.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

3 edits
reply to me1212

Re: How can I avoid Dish's $5 fee with VOIPo?

»Using Free VOIP to get rid of Dish Network Fees

»Re: Got a few questions before getting VOIPo.

Not sure if these figured anything out?
EDIT: Hey that second one was you!

EDIT: Same things - little help I see.

EDIT: 2005 thread without resolution: »www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic7232.html

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
I did not under stand the first one and the second one is only for receivesr that have ethernet ports.

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to me1212

Re: How can I avoid Dish's $5 fee with VOIPo?

I was thinking the 625 was HD, my mistake. The $5 fee on dual-tuner boxes is kind of silly.

I've never tried to connect my Dish boxes to VoIP, since I also have a POTS line. I've heard of people faxing through a voip connection, so it would seem that a Dish box should be able to connect. Have you tried various codecs to see if one of them will work?

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

1 edit
Various codecs on what? the 625 or the ATA? I thought VOIPo only had one codec.

buckeyered
Premium
join:2005-05-07
Hamilton, OH
reply to me1212
get a callcentric account and plug the 625 into it, after it connects without issues a few times using callcentric it will only call home once a month and only cost you a few cents a month. callcentric can give you advice on what settings to use to work with dish. I had mine this way for a couple of years without a problem until I got it to work with Voicepulse. The new HD model also must be connected to a phone line or a LAN but it works fine with voicepulse as well.
--
'If you change phone numbers one more time I am leaving you.' - My wife

sokhapkin
Premium
join:2003-05-08
North Fort Myers, FL
reply to me1212
I wonder to people who subscribe to US TV services. There is nothing to watch on... I cut my cable TV service 3 years ago.
--
»www.callwithus.com

Test99
Premium
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA
said by sokhapkin:

I wonder to people who subscribe to US TV services. There is nothing to watch on... I cut my cable TV service 3 years ago.
I agree. It's hard to imagine actually paying to watch TV. But are you saying it's different elsewhere?

buckeyered
Premium
Hamilton, OH
reply to sokhapkin
I canceled dish for about a year but I just had them reopen my account and went with the hidef duel tuner. I could do without the tv but not my wife and 4 year old.
The only channels I need are SciFi, Discovery, AE, and the History channel.
--

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream
I have 2 dish receivers a 625 and a non-dvr dual tuner box, both are plugged in to my Linksys SPA-3102 with Broadvoice service and seam to be able to make calls to the 800 number twice a day on the 625 and once a day on the other, but they tie the line up for about 5 minutes so I think they get hung because of the VOIP but since they sorta connect they don't complain about the $5 fee and Dish hasn't said anything as well so I don't worry about it.

buckeyered
Premium
Hamilton, OH
reply to me1212
I like that I can look at my call log and see when it dials, back when I was having problems with it connecting it would call out everyday for a few minutes but after I put it on the callcentric line I guess it got all the updates it needed and would only dial out once a month. My new hi-def duel tuner has onyy dialed out once in the three weeks I have had it, it is on a voicepulse line.
--

UHF
Premium,MVM
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to me1212
said by me1212:

Various codecs on what? the 625 or the ATA? I thought VOIPo only had one codec.
On the ATA. I don't know anything about VOIPo, I don't use them.

christcorp
Premium
Cheyenne, WY
reply to sokhapkin
said by sokhapkin:

I'm not saying that this comment is naive; but it's definitely not open minded. I remember when I was growing up in the 60's. I lived in the New York City/New Jersey area. With a regular set of rabbit ears or an antenna on the roof, We could get 13 channels. I remember each of them to this day even though I haven't lived there in 30 years. On the other hand; where I live today; without satellite or cable, we get 3 tv channels over the air if we are lucky. Normally, only 2 come in. Just like the internet has become somewhat of a necessity, so has television; IF USED CORRECTLY. I'm not talking about using it as a baby sitter. But between news, sports, weather, learning channels; e.g. discovery, National Geographic, history, etc...; as well as movie channels; the television (Whether cable or satellite); has become an integral part of our lives. And can be very educational and entertaining.

Now; can a person simply rent/buy/netflix movies for entertainment; and/or use the internet for similar as well as educational/informative information? Yes, they sure can. And if I was single and/or lived by myself, I probably would do this. I would have my PC connected to my television. I could play DVD's through it; subscribe to live sports; watch network television (To a point); and probably many other things. But to do such a thing is not always the most efficient or productive. And as far as the cost goes; that is totally subjective. The $3 a day I spend on Satellite would more than easily be spent just averaging the rental of 1 movie a day. Or, I know that for about $8 a month; I can subscribe to something like »www.live-global-sports-network.com and get all the sports I want. But then I have to do the same for movies, television, etc...

Would the online be cheaper? Yes. Would it be more convenient? Not for me. For the person living by themselves or just getting married or a single room mate; it's probably a great deal. For a person living in a large metro area with 10-20 over the air channels available; that's also a great option. But for a large portion of the country; over the air isn't a large enough selection, and online is too much of a hassle when you have a family of 4. So, while I respect your opinion and decision to not have any cable/satellite service; I think your comment of "Wondering about people who subscribe to US TV services" is pretty narrow minded. And we won't go to the comment of "There is nothing to watch". That's just plain stupid. There is literally something for everyone. It might not be in your "BASIC" cable or satellite package; but there's definitely something there to watch if you want it. But then again, your opinion is simply yours. To many, there is more than enough stuff to watch. later... mike....

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
I don't mind the phone being tied up for a few mins, VOIPo has a cloned line. Plus I got the 625 set for 3am. And christcorp, you are correct if used correctly TV can be a wonderful thing, my folks NEVER used it as a baby sitter they always watched after me them selves. And when I got older we went fishing in our pond.

So, if I am to understand what your saying my 625 DVR should call out just fine, is this correct?

christcorp
Premium
Cheyenne, WY
Well I don't know about the 625. I use directv. But my HD Receiver works satisfactory on my voipo line. Matter of fact, so does my fax machine. But remember; the #1 factor in Voip and ALL THAT WORKS ON IT; is a person's ISP. And this factor goes way beyond speed and latency. But depending on the modem that is installed in the 625, it "should" work fine. Might take a little experimenting with it's setup and configuration, but yes, it should. Later... Mike....

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
Ok, thank i'll try a few thing and if that doesn't work some sa y using a wireless phonejack helps. Thanks for your help dudes!

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

2 edits
reply to christcorp
nm - not helpful post I left

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to me1212

christcorp
Premium
Cheyenne, WY
reply to me1212
said by me1212:

Ok, thank i'll try a few thing and if that doesn't work some sa y using a wireless phonejack helps. Thanks for your help dudes!
Yea; there's a number of things that can help. Unfortunately; each situation is unique in itself. The cheapest is to try a DSL filter. If that doesn't work, put the DSL filter in BACKWARDS. Yes, you heard me. Where it says "TO LINE"; plug that INTO the device. Where it says "TO PHONE"; plug that into the phone line. Tele-zappers sometimes work. They are the things you use on your line to stop telemarketers. They have certain filters in them and tend to help. Wireless phone jacks (That use radio signals) have also been known to work. Some wireless jacks actually use the electrical wiring in the house. You can try those. The BEST THING however to make this, a fax, a dialup modem, etc... work on voip; is if you have the ability to slow down the internal modem of the device. If you can SLOW the device down to 9600 baud, you will improve your chances more than anything. My fax is set at 9600 baud and works flawlessly without any other accessories. This works whether my ISP is DSL or cable. Good luck...Mike....

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
"If you can SLOW the device down to 9600 baud, you will improve your chances more than anything. My fax is set at 9600 baud and works flawlessly without any other accessories. This works whether my ISP is DSL or cable. Good luck...Mike...."

The only way to slow down the 625 DVR is with the wireless jack, it has an automatic setting.

As for the DSL filter I was going to try it backwards first.

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium
join:1999-12-06
Fuquay Varina, NC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to me1212
Several years ago when I was with Vonage I used to have to have my Dish receiver dial *99 first before it dialed the number for it to work properly. Ooma gives the *99 recommendation for faxing with them, but says their service won't work with satellite receivers. I haven't tried using my Dish receiver with ooma yet. I don't know if *99 would do anything with VoIPo or not.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
reply to me1212
If you don't get this working, Dish is dropping the $5 fee for your first dual-tuner receiver not hooked up to a phoneline or broadband starting Feb 1st.

hootch

join:2007-09-28
Vancouver, WA
reply to me1212
I use VoiPo and Dish network. Have my dish receiver plugged into one of the Voipo phone ports and it can dial out just fine. It also worked when I had Sunrocket and Viatalk...did not have to do anything special like the *99 for Vonage. It also works with a phone line splitter if you have a phone plugged into each port of the ATA.