spc
uniqs
Cpudan80
join:2007-07-26
Virginia Beach, VA

Cpudan80 to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

Re: Upcoming changes?

I dont think that is true. VZ has to honor the contract for its duration -- but then is free to change the terms/conditions when the old contract expires. Look at what they do with the phones now --- plans and rates and things can change, but only when the contract is up for renewal.

I will be shocked and amazed if My Circle survives the merger.

Dan
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Even if your contract runs out they can not change your rates due to the fact you locked into those rates. IF you're a VZW customer now you're rates do not go up after your contract expires if you don't sign a new one. They stay the same until you do. Most people renew their contract due to getting a new phone or a better deal. You did not agree to those rates. They have to force you to sign a new contract and if you don't wish to sign a new contract tough shit for CellCo Partnership.

Plus TM has the MyFav5 so everyone can just change to them.
Cpudan80
Virginia Beach, VA

Cpudan80

Yes but VZ can just discontinue all of Alltel's products when the old contracts expire -- that happens all the time.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

I don't see how they could in this. They can discontinue the services and not allow you to renew at that contract afterwords but they'd be required to offer you the same thing you had after your contract expired if you did not sign a new contract with VZW.

That's why everyone should renew their contract now and be locked in longer.

The only thing thats going to change is when the you renew your contract after it expires and customer support and where you mail your payment to (if you still do). OH and many many Alltel dealers will be no more.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

If your contract expires they can do pretty much what they want to do. That's kind of the idea behind a contract. When you go month to month they can raise your rates or change your plan if they want to.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Only if you agree to that. I've never seen or heard of any cellular provider doing this. They keep your rate plan the same until you sign a new one. Of course they try and force you but you don't have to.

And they just can't up and change you rate unless you agree to it. Usually a 30day notice that your rate plan will change.

battleop

battleop

I don't think you understand how contracts work. When they expire the rules are no longer enforceable. You can walk away to another provider if you wish. They can raise their rates if they wish. When it expires you don't get to pick and choose how things work.
hottboiinnc4
ME
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

The way it works in Ohio is if your contract expires you get the same rate plan and services until you renew. Several other states are the same.

Why do you think AT&T wanted to get all their customers on the old system to renew. Not only did they have cheaper plans they had to offer that until they moved.

You can't just cancel someone's service regardless of a contract or not.

And VZW doesn't even do this.
Cpudan80
Virginia Beach, VA

2 edits

Cpudan80 to battleop

to battleop
I think you're reading OH law incorrectly. VZ must honor all contracts until they expire. At that point - they can say that they no longer support Alltel's old plans and push you onto a VZ one. Things can't just go on forever just because you don't renew your contract.

As I was trying to say before -- there would be no point in a merger if things just stayed the same forever.

In all likelihood, VZ will give Alltel customers some kind of incentive to hop off Alltel and onto VZ.

--
Dan

battleop

1 edit

battleop to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
Then what is the point in a contract to begin with if the state is going to pass laws for the lemmings?

Where is a copy of this law? I don't believe this.
battleop

battleop to Cpudan80

to Cpudan80
The contract should have language that says what they can and can't do if they sell the customer or company.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

1 recommendation

fiberguy2 to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
Sorry, I disagree.. Ohio is nothing special. With a 30 day notice, they can change or discontinue your rate plan.

I think you are grossly mis-interpreting laws you are reading somewhere. You CAN just discontinue the plan and tell people you must migrate to a new plan. The key is that as long as they offer a service, they must be able to offer you a plan at another rate level.. that's all. They CAN, additionally, turn off an entire service so long as they discontinue ALL customers on the same service. IE: They just can't boot you.

It's happened. The only difference, for PR reasons, they work hard to migrate people with offers.. eventually, it comes to a point where the customer, when they weed most of them off, are sent a letter stating that they must chose a new plan or they will experience service interruption.

Refer to your agreement. Even in the middle of an agreement, terms CAN change. It's been done by all carriers at some point - see Sprint EVDO Wireless network and the 5gig caps imposed. They reserve the right to change terms at anytime AND discontinue services. The only right you have is to break from your contract, or discontinue the service within 30 days.

You are very very much confused and mis-informed.
fiberguy2

fiberguy2 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
It does but it doesn't have to.

It does, becuase it says they may modify the terms of the agreement. I've been through this round and round with my own attorney through the whole Sprint EVDO change.

Second, Federal law makes it clear that when you purchase a company you purchase all liability. Contracts ARE liability. Because of that, the purchaser, VZ in this case, assumes all liability for the contracts in place which is why due diligence must be done in advance and prior to making any purchase. Those contracts they purchase will have an impact on the ongoing operations of the company after purchase..

battleop

battleop

The contracts are part of what gives the company value.

"Second, Federal law makes it clear that when you purchase a company you purchase all liability"

I've bought commercial buildings in the past where the seller was responsible for some of the preexisting debt. I don't think you have to take all of the liabilities. If you don't the seller must take care of them. In our case the seller took proceeds from the sale to pay off the debts.

You can't sell a company and shed debt like it were a bankruptcy.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

That's a little different when it comes to buildings on a local level. We're talking about a company, however, that operates under federal guidelines.

In these cases, debt can be negotiated - even the same as your own. Contract law isn't cut and dry.. usually businesses that operate under regulation is a little different. And, to be honest, in many cases, you can sell a business and shed debt. If you don't do due diligence before you buy, you can in fact get stuck with a really bad deal.

Again, nothing is cut and dry and things can be negotiated.. Hell, you can buy a house in some areas and the day you move in, you have a $600 water bill from the former owner.. where other areas, it's tied to the owner. Just all depends on a few factors, really.. so I'll admit that its not cut and dry.. but in the case of this merger, the contracts have to be honored. They are contracts that were negotiated between a business and a consumer, so in a sense, you're buying the customer in addition to the hardware and physical structures. Usually when a sale is done, it's also talked about in how much per customer it cost to buy the business.

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

Sorry, I disagree.. Ohio is nothing special. With a 30 day notice, they can change or discontinue your rate plan.

I think you are grossly mis-interpreting laws you are reading somewhere.
You are very very much confused and mis-informed.
Finally someone who realizes the truth.