spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Waterbug

join:2008-03-30

Wallpaper on Concrete (Poured Wall)

I am thinking of wallpapering a basement cement wall and am looking for advise. The basement is completely dry because the area the house is built on is 100% Oly sand. The wall also has an exterior wall sealant. (tar?) The wall has already been painted on the inside with a water sealing paint and then repainted with an Acrylic/Latex color coat.
Can I wallpaper a cement wall? Should I use a sizing to further seal it. Is there a special glue that should be used? I won't be using a vinyl wallpaper. Don't know if that matters or not.

Mickeyme3
You might be right, but, I don't care
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Carson City, NV

2 edits

If the walls are painted and have dried for a few weeks then knock yourself out.
You may want to (better safe then sorry) use wallpaper paste besides the prepaste on it.
Make sure your seams butt each other tightly to allow for shrinkage, which there is little of nowadays.
Watch want pattern you buy, cause you may have a lot of waste matching the seams so it looks good.

Check out this for your basement,
»www.usawallpaper.com/mounlogcabwa.html
Log cabin wallpaper I had it in my last house and it was great to look at.
You put it on length-wise instead of up & down.
I bought an extra roll to cout out single logs and stick them in the corners of the room and around the window trims.
Good luck with whatever you do.

PS: it's pretty easy to do, the log cabin wallpaper is thick and easy to work with.
That may be something you want to check out when buying any wallpaper.

billy

@verizon.net
reply to Waterbug

I am not so sure this is a good idea. Any moisture migration, not just in liquid form, can create an environment for mold. Between the paste, the wallpaper backing and the darkness supplied by the wall paper I would think the potential is there. I know that the basement has been dry, so was mine for 6 years and yes I have a tar barrier coat, but one day it started a small leak. My point being thinks change.

Waterbug

1 edit

said by billy :

Any moisture migration, not just in liquid form, can create an environment for mold.
No more so than if I stud framed a wall and then put up wallboard. Maybe I should add a mold retardant to the glue/paste. I know that they make paint additives that would probably work.

EDIT: I was going to fake a window with a large mural. The log paper would be great to frame it. The interior walls are hardwood paneling.

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Waterbug

Just a suggestion. Have you considered hiring an artist to paint a mural instead of wallpapering? I have also seen in a friends home where the "artist" merely painted a wallpaper-like design to liven up a space.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to Waterbug

Have you thought about insulating this concrete wall first? Where abouts is the home/yourself located? Where I live, you'd want to strip it off with 2x2's and fill it with foam insulation board and then drywall it.

Waterbug

said by wth:

Have you thought about insulating this concrete wall first? Where I live, you'd want to strip it off with 2x2's and fill it with foam insulation board and then drywall it.
The walls already have 2" of foam on the outside.

billy

@verizon.net
reply to Waterbug

That is why I would use metal studs (off the wall with insulation) or DWFC (drywall furring channel) vertically installed and hold the DW 1/2" + off the floor slab.