spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Karin2

@mindspring.com

[Line Problem] DSL connections dropping a lot

I've been an Earthlink user for over 10 years and in the past year, I've had so many problems with it that I'm considering moving to another ISP. I hate to do this because I have a well-established website and email addresses that are going to be a hassle to switch to another ISP.

The problems I have are intermittent (of course!). I'll have awful problems for a few days: dropped connections, unable to connect to Internet at all (flashing yellow "SYNC/PPoE" light), then all of a sudden, it will start working again for the next month with no problems. Then (like yesterday), it will go out for the entire afternoon and then go back on in the evening, and it's still OK as of right now--but for how long, I don't know. It's driving me crazy!!!

I've called support many times but they have never, ever been able to solve my problem. It just eventually fixes itself. I'm in San Jose, Ca; I have a fairly new iMac running Leopard; and the basic DSL service. I have a LinkMAX HSA 300A-2 modem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

Please post your current DSL Stats.

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »How to Get to the Logs, the Diagnostics Page, and the DSL Statistics Page - UHP

The next time the PPPoE LED goes out, that means that the Access Concentrator is either down or overloaded and cannot accept your request for getting an IP Address. The UHP Modem may tell you to check your Username and Password when this happens, but you know nothing has been changed and that the issue is at the other end.

Now when you lose the DSL Sync (DSL LED off of flashing) that means that the DSL Signal is no longer seen by the DSL Modem. You current Modem is getting a bit old so you may want to consider getting a newer one in the future. You can find them on eBay and the current EL Model is the ZyXEL P660R-D1 which is officially supported. The ZyXEL is also a Router for multiple PC unlike the UHP Modem that only supports one PC/Mac at a time. You simply purchase a Multi-Port Switch and the ZyXEL will then share the DSL with up to 32 PCs/Macs by default.

You would want to check for DSL Sync at the NID the next time the DSL LED on the Modem goes out/drops off inside at the Modem since that will tell you if it is a problem local to your residence and/or whether it is a problem at the far end in the Central Office and out of your control.

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »How do I test at my NID? What does it look like?

If you decide to leave EL you can keep your emails active if you want.

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »Can I keep my email address after I drop Earthlink?

Regards,

Doctor Olds
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

AnOn in NoLA

@bellsouth.net
reply to Karin2

Give it up! You sound just like me (Earthlink/Mindspring customer since 1997) and too many unexplained outages since Sept. 2008 prompted me to cancel and switch to AT&T in December. HORRIBLE customer service - things obviously have changed in recent years.
BTW, I felt the same way you do about changing your email address, etc. everywhere, but embrace the change and never look back! Good Luck!

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

Hi, hope you are happy with your new provider.

As to emails, you don't have to loose them.

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »Can I keep my email address after I drop Earthlink?

Digital07str

join:2008-06-09
reply to Karin2

I have had the same problems and I am in Michigan. Earthlink blows.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

Anyone wanting help, please just ask otherwise this topic appears to be abandoned by the person that started it. Click the New Topic button to start your request for help.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

michael88

@covad.net
reply to Karin2

I am a new user in southern CA... had earthlink for 1 month

I "upgraded" fom att 600 mbps to earthlink 3000 mbps... and the 3000 mbps has been awful... often slower than my ATT dsl.

It hangs, it times out, and the connections drop. My only conclusion is that it is a problem with earthlunk

LarsIsFrustrated

@plantronics.com
reply to Karin2

I too am having the same problem, over the same time period. Earthlink/Mindspring customer for 10 years, early adopter of ADSL2+Voice service in 2006, service was initially rough and then stabilized until Sept 08. It's now stable for about 5-10 minutes, and then I need to power-cycle the modem (soft-reset via the modem firmware utility doesn't work anymore).

AT&T spent 2 1/2 hours running a new copper pair from the main office to our house; Covad spent 90+ minutes checking all lines in our house. All of the lines from the computer to the modem to the wall and all the way to the main office are okay.

On Jan 9th the Earthlink TRON support person put me on hold and then abruptly brought the call to an end stating that there was a nationwide outage, and that's what was causing the problem. I talked with Earthlink TRON people again yesterday 1/22 and they stated that they're still working on the network issue, but they're going to close my trouble ticket because our line is now okay.

All of the modem lights are on. The system status page shows the DSL connection is up, and I have an IP address. But, I just can't browse to any websites.

I did probe the TRON tech to see if he could tell me anything at all about this. He explained that it's a problem between Earthlink & AT&T. There is still no anticipated resolution date.

My next door neighbor his having the exact same problem. I asked the TRON tech how many people have left Earthlink; he said, "hundreds."

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

Anyone wanting help, please just ask in your own New Topic otherwise this topic appears to be abandoned by the person that started it. Click the New Topic button to start your request for help.

If your DSL LED on your DSL Modem is not going out (The Modem's DSL LED stays Solid Green instead) then there is not a DSL Outage.

However, there are current DNS issues and posters are getting helped as they create New Topics and ask for assistance as seen by the Topics below:

»[General] Earthlink DSL sporadic connection probems

»[General] EL DSL Internet and modem LEDs on but no connection.

»[Line Problem] California wide month long problem?
--