uniqs
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

Dead battery

I'm posting this for a friend. I have a couple questions here. First, my friend has had FiOS for about a year and his battery has already bit the dust. My battery is 3 years old and it's still going strong. My thinking is that he's having some issue that's causing his battery to die prematurely. Maybe power spikes? If so, does anyone have a reco on what he can do to prevent something like that happening again in the future.

Second question - he's trying to find out where to buy a replacement battery. Verizon keeps telling him to go to places like Home Depot and Lowes. He's tried a bunch of those places (Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy) and they're all telling him the same thing - they don't carry the battery, and that he should call Verizon. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
afiggatt
join:2007-07-12
Sterling, VA

1 edit

afiggatt

The battery as I recall is a standard 7 Amp-Hour 12V gell cell battery. Radio Shack used to carry them, but if they still do, the Shack would be on the more expensive side as a place to get one.
EphSooner
join:2007-06-04
Arlington, VA

EphSooner to JPL

to JPL
This may sound obvious, but is he sure that the battery was plugged in correctly? I ask because I had a problem about a year ago where I had unplugged and replugged the battery, which tripped the GFI outlet. I didn't press "reset" on the outlet, and so the ONT was operating on battery power even though it was physically plugged in. As a result, the battery died prematurely. Oops.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

2 edits

matcarl

Premium Member

It's $40 at Radio Shack, mine lasted a little less than 2 years. I think it depends what conditions the room is that it's in (cold basement, warm closet)

Alarmtech
@verizon.net

Alarmtech to JPL

Anon

to JPL
These are a standard battery for an alarm system as well. You can find them at Battery Warehouse and also at alarm system suppliers such as ADI and Alarmax.

An online search should help you find these companies locations in your area.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards to JPL

to JPL
Mine has been in place since July 2005 and is still going strong (installed in basement - and yes I have checked it is not beeping ).
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by keyboards:

Mine has been in place since July 2005 and is still going strong (installed in basement - and yes I have checked it is not beeping ).
3 1/2 years here in North Texas in the garage (right by the door) with 100 degree temps in the summer and about freezing in the winter. No problems yet....

bull3964
@stargate.net

bull3964 to JPL

Anon

to JPL
So, Verizon expects the end user to replace the battery? Interesting.

That really bothers me for some reason. Yeah, it's only $30-$40 every few years, but the ONT is part of the system that we spend a monthly fee to maintain. If the ONT completely died I would assume they would replace it free of charge since it doesn't seem like we "purchased" it, so the battery should be no different.

They should drop ship them just like the boxes, providing a return box and label for recycling.

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp to JPL

Premium Member

to JPL
It depends a lot on the temperature where it is installed. Also the number of power outages, the discharge and recharging could be a good thing or bad thing for the batteries life. Some batteries last longer charged, others last longer when they get cycled every once and a while.
fios joe
join:2007-10-14
Toms River, NJ

fios joe to JPL

to JPL
Y not ask a VZ tech for a battery when you see him somewhere? I'm a tech in NJ, and would give a battery out since i keep so many on the truck, as long i get the old one back to recycle.
JohnA4
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit

JohnA4 to JPL

Premium Member

to JPL

Batteries Plus stocks them in my area. They're a standard UPS/Alarm battery, so they're readily available online, but you have to watch the shipping, as they're not light.

I see it for $20 online, $7 ground shipping to me.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

said by JohnA4:

Batteries Plus stocks them in my area. They're a standard UPS/Alarm battery, so they're readily available online, but you have to watch the shipping, as they're not light.

I see it for $20 online, $7 ground shipping to me.
Looks like a great site, thanks! One question - mainly because I'm not home and can't check right now - which battery is it? I tried to do a search on it off the site, but I don't know which battery Verizon uses.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

All the Verizon BBU's use the same backup battery type - 12V, 7.2 AH with 1/4" battery leads....
JohnA4
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit

JohnA4 to JPL

Premium Member

to JPL

What's in mine is a 12072. Different suppliers cross reference 7. 7.5, and 8A 12V .25 inch terminals.

When I needed 4 for UPSes, I found them online with free shipping for over $50 order. When I want 1 now, I go to Batteries Plus. Current store price is $33.

BP also accepts any rechargeable battery for recycle - no charge.

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer to bull3964

Premium Member

to bull3964
said by bull3964 :

That really bothers me for some reason. Yeah, it's only $30-$40 every few years, but the ONT is part of the system that we spend a monthly fee to maintain. If the ONT completely died I would assume they would replace it free of charge since it doesn't seem like we "purchased" it, so the battery should be no different.

They should drop ship them just like the boxes, providing a return box and label for recycling.
Ya exactly..... that seems strange to me.
Hajman
join:2001-12-17
Newtown Square, PA

Hajman to bull3964

to bull3964
said by bull3964 :

This has been Verizon's policy from day one. IIRC, this policy was expressly and clearly communicated as part of the web sign up when I got internet a few years ago.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

My friend said he found one at Radio Shack that's listed as a 7.0AH. Will that work? BTW, what does the 'AH' refer to? I'm figuring the 'A' refers to current (amps). He was told by the clerk at Radio Shack that AH referred to Amp Hours, is that correct? If so, I'm guessing that means that it'll supply 1 Amp/hour for 7 hours. Just guessing here, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

JPL, you are correct on the meaning of Amp-Hours..

The higher the AH rating, the longer the battery will last (in theory, that is).

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards to JPL

to JPL
said by JPL:

My friend said he found one at Radio Shack that's listed as a 7.0AH. Will that work? BTW, what does the 'AH' refer to? I'm figuring the 'A' refers to current (amps). He was told by the clerk at Radio Shack that AH referred to Amp Hours, is that correct? If so, I'm guessing that means that it'll supply 1 Amp/hour for 7 hours. Just guessing here, so any info would be greatly appreciated.
Yes it will work (as long as the terminals are 0.25" - there are different terminal sizes). You are correct in your interpretation of AH as being AMP HOURS and that it would mean 1 amp for 7 hours (as an example).
TimCo
join:2005-01-14
Ronkonkoma, NY

TimCo to JPL

to JPL
»www.batterymart.com/p-12 ··· ery.html This place has a good price. Also it is my understanding if you have a wire maintenance plan the battery is covered.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

said by TimCo:

»www.batterymart.com/p-12 ··· ery.html This place has a good price.
Note that the one you linked has the wrong size terminals. This ( »www.batterymart.com/p-12 ··· -f2.html ) would be the correct one. Same price.

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190

Premium Member

So that is the right one? $16.95 is way lower than all the other prices. I wonder why it is so much less.

DarkStarPDX
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
join:2000-10-01
Hillsboro, OR

DarkStarPDX to blue_trooper

to blue_trooper
said by blue_trooper:

Note that the one you linked has the wrong size terminals. This ( »www.batterymart.com/p-12 ··· -f2.html ) would be the correct one. Same price.
I can confirm this is the right type of battery. The reason why this battery is only $16.95 is because markup on batteries is HUGE. Locally, I have a hobby store that carries these batteries for about $20 each.

I do a lot of radio controlled hobbies so last week I decided to try out my new electronic charger on my FiOS battery and verified that it is still receiving a peak charge and is fully operational. I've had it installed for almost 2 years now...