All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

DocL
@comcast.net

DocL to miscDude

Anon

to miscDude

Re: EAS freezes my ability to change channels (Comcast)

Thanks for the reply. dishrich is right in that I'm not using a cablecard; I'm also not using the IR cables to change channels, but rather the serial cable (the Motorola cable box allows for that). Also, the problem is not that the box doesn't tune back to original channel (as far as I can tell, it does, as it stays stuck on the channel it was tuned to when the EAS signal happened), but rather that it can't be moved away from that channel after the EAS signal.

miscDude has exceeded my technical knowledge; I don't know how to check the box for a broken EAS processor. Also, is there any way for me to adjust the levels (or the box's perception of the levels)?

DocL

Quaoar
join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO

Quaoar

In my area of northern Colorado, the EAS is managed by the city of Fort Collins (or at least I think it is). For several intermittent periods, EAS would activate, and when deactivated, my cable boxen would remain on a green screen with the original channel audio. The only solution was to *reset* the cable boxen since user interaction with the boxen was ineffective.

My view is that the problem resides with those who activate the EAS signal. If you complain to Comcast, they will likely review the entire system to see where the problem resides.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to DocL

to DocL
said by DocL :

I'm also not using the IR cables to change channels, but rather the serial cable (the Motorola cable box allows for that). Also, the problem is not that the box doesn't tune back to original channel (as far as I can tell, it does, as it stays stuck on the channel it was tuned to when the EAS signal happened), but rather that it can't be moved away from that channel after the EAS signal.
Since you mentioned the serial cable, just for the hell of it, why don't you try running your setup with IR & see what happens next time you guys get an EAS. I'm wondering if cc did something with a recent software update & maybe, it doesn't like the serial cable anymore. (you KNOW cc has really never "officially" supported serial connections, so maybe they "broke" it on a recent software update - it HAS been known to happen...)

At least this might pinpoint part of your problem...

DocL
@comcast.net

DocL

Anon

I'd like to avoid using the IR cables. I did use them for several months last year, and found their performance disappointing at best in terms of changing the channel to the expected channel; they had a strong preference for tuning to the low single digits (I had a long talk with a Tivo tech about this during the summer; they sent me a replacement serial cable, and I was suddenly in channel tuning heaven).

I hadn't known that Comcast doesn't support the serial Tivo connector; that's dismaying, since the IR connector functions so poorly.
DocL

DocL to Quaoar

Anon

to Quaoar
Quaoar,

That does sound similar to what I'm experiencing, except I continue to get picture as well as sound. Do you also have a Tivo or other DVR in your setup?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to DocL

Premium Member

to DocL
said by DocL :

I'd like to avoid using the IR cables. I did use them for several months last year, and found their performance disappointing at best in terms of changing the channel to the expected channel; they had a strong preference for tuning to the low single digits (I had a long talk with a Tivo tech about this during the summer; they sent me a replacement serial cable, and I was suddenly in channel tuning heaven).

I hadn't known that Comcast doesn't support the serial Tivo connector; that's dismaying, since the IR connector functions so poorly.
Get a DVR box. Problem solved.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to Quaoar

Premium Member

to Quaoar
It could be worse.. I have a friend up in northern MN where Charter rules the day. When the EAS goes off, not only do the normal box capture events happen, it knocks out the cable modem .. oh, and get this.. the phone service.

I have NO problem with the EAS grabbing the attention of people and disrupting the programming - AT ALL.. that's what the EAS is supposed to do.. that's why there is an annoying ass tone. (In MN, this is touchy, being in tornado alley. People complain about all the tests and sirens that go off, and do everything possible to tone them out when they happen. Then, with a town is destroyed and they don't know that the sirens and warnings went off, or are used to tuning them out, they cry foul. but, I digress)

The Phones and cable modem service going out (in the case of charter) IS a ridiculous error.. but, what I'm reading here.. eh. .. nothing to see in my opinion.

DocL
@comcast.net

DocL

Anon

Likewise, I have no problem with EAS _sending_ the signal. I think that's an important feature.

I just really want it to give my tuner back when it's finished. I pay rather too much for Comcast and Tivo service to come home, looking forward to watching the new episode of "House" and finding that I've instead recorded an hour of some random movie on Comedy Central, because that was the channel I'd watched the night before, and there had been an EAS signal in the middle of the night that has locked the cable box to that channel. I'm not paying for an "all EAS, all the time" service.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by DocL :

I'm not paying for an "all EAS, all the time" service.
Sure you are bud! The whole world is falling to hell right now so the 24/7 EAS alert is pretty valid.