how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

djr777
Premium
join:2005-01-25
Pacific Grove, CA

Water heater is pouring out hot water .....help!

My hot water tank is pouring out water through the temp-pressure relief valve. I have never seen it do this before. It is draining outside so there is no water damage. I opened and closed the manual release but it continues to pour out.

What do you recommend I do?

Thanks
--
...there will be an answer. let it be

JTY

join:2004-05-29
Ellensburg, WA

Shut off the water.

The T&P valve has likely failed, or your water heater was generating enough pressure to cause it to release. Most likely though, the valve simply failed.

If the valve has failed, simply replace it. Any plumbing store should have the valve in stock.

djr777
Premium
Pacific Grove, CA

said by JTY:

Shut off the water.

The T&P valve has likely failed, or your water heater was generating enough pressure to cause it to release. Most likely though, the valve simply failed.

If the valve has failed, simply replace it. Any plumbing store should have the valve in stock.
Thanks

That is what I think also. Though I may get lucky if it was just the city.

...May Be High Tank Pressure

The other reason for the TPR valve to run water is high pressure in the water heater tank. This is usually caused by one of two things -- high main water pressure (water district or well) or a back flow prevention/check valve.
»www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/···lief.htm

I went back out and opened and closed it 5x and seems to have slowed down. Tomorrow i will see about fixing that valve if it is still leaking.
--

djr777
Premium
Pacific Grove, CA
reply to djr777

I just went out to check it and it has stopped.

Do you think there could have been high main pressure at 9 pm?

...or could opening and closing that valve have fixed it??

Has your pressure relief opened on you before?
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Opening and closing the valve multiple times could fix it. That is my first remedy. Sometimes they get stiff or something gets lodged and it takes a bit to flush out.

djr777
Premium
Pacific Grove, CA

...short lived fix...it is leaking again. I shut off the water and gas until tomorrow.
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Just replace the valve -- they are cheap and available at any big box or plumbing supply. Get teflon tape if you don't have any to seal it.

KirkyInCT

join:2008-11-04
Higganum, CT

1 edit
reply to djr777

While it's not a bad idea to replace the relief valve, you MAY have an issue with the city water as well. At night it in not uncommon for the pressure to build in a cty system. At my old house, the home inspector caught it at 130psi if I remember correctly.

Pressure that high WILL CAUSE ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS! Valves in washing machines, sinks, etc will all eventually fail.

Check that. It's not a bad idea to get a pressure reducing valve regardless, set it between 40 and 60psi. You will also need an expansion tank [on the house side of the PRV] once you put that valve in. Failure to put in that expansion tank is asking for trouble, as when your water expands inthe hot water heater, it need someplace to go.

EDIT: I will mention, depending on the pressure from the city, it MAY BE the city's responsibility to lower the pressure, but it will take a while so just doing it yourself will be better. While you're there, take a look at the shutoffs between the meter and the pressure reducing valve, it may be advantageous to replace those with a better shutoff, the high pressure could be causing havoc with those as well.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
reply to djr777

To check the pressure easily, head over to the sprinkler aisle at the hardware store. For around $8 you can buy a pressure gauge that attaches to a hose bib (outdoor faucet).

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to djr777

said by djr777:

My hot water tank is pouring out water through the temp-pressure relief valve. I have never seen it do this before.
I keep a spare in the basement just for when they wear out. It is normal for them to fail between 5 to 15 Years depending on many different variables.

Buy two and fix the one leaking then mark the box on the spare unit to know what it is for later when it leaks again...

Enjoy!
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

djr777
Premium
Pacific Grove, CA
reply to KirkyInCT

Yep it was a double whammy.

The regulator in the front was reading 105 psi and it should be around 80. That in turn caused the valve to fail and hopefully has not damaged anything else.

Thanks for everyone's input.
--

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

2 recommendations

reply to Doctor Olds

If you keep spare parts for something that only fails every 5-10 years, your "storage" area must look like an Amazon warehouse.

Ever stumble across the Ark of the Covenant in your basement?
--
Tradition: Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid. --despair.com

KirkyInCT

join:2008-11-04
Higganum, CT
reply to djr777

said by djr777:

Yep it was a double whammy.

The regulator in the front was reading 105 psi and it should be around 80. That in turn caused the valve to fail and hopefully has not damaged anything else.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Replace the relief valve just because. And personally, I would turn the pressure down to about 60 MAX. You'll probably need to adjust your shower head to ge tthe spray back, but it's better for all involved.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to fireflier

said by fireflier:

If you keep spare parts for something that only fails every 5-10 years, your "storage" area must look like an Amazon warehouse.
After having two items fail at the worst possible times (the beginning of a Holiday Weekend for the water heater pressure valve started the water draining bit and in the middle of another Holiday Weekend after 4 PM when Appliance parts stores are all closed until Tuesday the ceramic igniter for the gas furnace broke and the house was 45°F in under 3 hours). I had to bring the Kerosene Heater upstairs out of the basement as it is there for emergencies and for heating the two car garage in the Winter when my son or I are working on something as it is detached from the house. Yes, I keep two items as backups. Roughly $30.00 dollars worth of parts. It has saved my ass once already when the heat went out again and it was that stupid igniter at 6 Years old breaking again at night on a Saturday. Popped in the backup one and had a warm house again without having to feed a Kerosene Heater for two or three days. Money well spent!

said by fireflier:

Ever stumble across the Ark of the Covenant in your basement?
Yes, I did. Interested?

Regards,

Doctor Olds
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?