spc
uniqs
KirkyInCT
join:2008-11-04
Higganum, CT

1 edit

KirkyInCT to djr777

to djr777

Re: Water heater is pouring out hot water .....help!

While it's not a bad idea to replace the relief valve, you MAY have an issue with the city water as well. At night it in not uncommon for the pressure to build in a cty system. At my old house, the home inspector caught it at 130psi if I remember correctly.

Pressure that high WILL CAUSE ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS! Valves in washing machines, sinks, etc will all eventually fail.

Check that. It's not a bad idea to get a pressure reducing valve regardless, set it between 40 and 60psi. You will also need an expansion tank [on the house side of the PRV] once you put that valve in. Failure to put in that expansion tank is asking for trouble, as when your water expands inthe hot water heater, it need someplace to go.

EDIT: I will mention, depending on the pressure from the city, it MAY BE the city's responsibility to lower the pressure, but it will take a while so just doing it yourself will be better. While you're there, take a look at the shutoffs between the meter and the pressure reducing valve, it may be advantageous to replace those with a better shutoff, the high pressure could be causing havoc with those as well.

djr777
Premium Member
join:2005-01-25
Pacific Grove, CA

djr777

Premium Member

Yep it was a double whammy.

The regulator in the front was reading 105 psi and it should be around 80. That in turn caused the valve to fail and hopefully has not damaged anything else.

Thanks for everyone's input.
KirkyInCT
join:2008-11-04
Higganum, CT

KirkyInCT

said by djr777:

Yep it was a double whammy.

The regulator in the front was reading 105 psi and it should be around 80. That in turn caused the valve to fail and hopefully has not damaged anything else.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Replace the relief valve just because. And personally, I would turn the pressure down to about 60 MAX. You'll probably need to adjust your shower head to ge tthe spray back, but it's better for all involved.