All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bw21638
@sbcglobal.net

bw21638

Anon

Connecting a [Wireless] Printer to U-Verse?

Hello, I'm fairly tech savvy but not very familiar with creating networks and adding components short of a simple wireless router and SSID management. I recently moved to AT&T U-Verse and got rid of my D-Link router using the standard U-Verse router they supply (2Wire 3800HGV-B).

Is it possible to create a network through this U-Verse router and add either a wired or a wireless printer? I don't know of any way to log into the U-Verse router like I could with my D-Link router, so I'm not sure of how to add the printer so that I can print from my wirelessly connected laptop.

Any suggested reading or help would be very appreciated!
Rob2647
join:2008-08-12
Rochester, MI

2 edits

Rob2647

To access the Uverse gateway go to 192.168.1.254 the user name and password is on a label on the bottom of the gateway.

Whats the brand and model of the printer?

If the printer is going to connect to the router by ethernet cable or wireless, then all you need to do is on each computer is to add a new printer, it would be a local network printer.

bw21638
@sbcglobal.net

bw21638 to bw21638

Anon

to bw21638
Thanks for the help, Rob2647. I did access the U-Verse gateway, so thanks for that, and I can see all of the pertinent links such as "View the Home Network". I have not purchased a printer yet although I was looking at the HP Photosmart D7460 which has both wireless capabilities and an Ethernet port. I'm just wondering what I have to do when I get it. I'm imagining it has some kind of control panel where it connects to the network and I enter the WEP key and it connects, but from there I'm not sure how to make my wireless laptop see the printer which theoretically at that point should be on the same network.

Am I on the right page so far?

gdm
MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

It's actually really easy. All you will do is enter the IP address of the printer.

Personally I prefer wired for printers, depending on how much data your sending to print it can take awhile. My HP Officejet is both but I did it as wire.

If your using XP you would just go to start run and enter \\192.168.1.xxx which the last three would the printer IP. Doesn't matter if it's wireless or wired. If your using Vista it's even easier just use the print setup wizard.

I would also go into the RG and manually assign the IP of the printer.
Rob2647
join:2008-08-12
Rochester, MI

Rob2647 to bw21638

to bw21638
If you plan to use the wireless, be sure to use WPA encryption and not WEP for better wireless security.

gdm
MVM
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

Just to add to Rob. To better secured enable mac filtering. That the only devices that can be on your wireless network are with the mac address you enter for those devices.
mjwise
join:2007-05-09
Ann Arbor, MI

mjwise to bw21638

to bw21638
Just use WPA or WPA2 to secure your wireless. IIRC, the RG comes with WPA enabled by default. The default WPA password will be on a sticker on the side of the RG. Don't bother with MAC filtering - it's a waste of time and frustrating when you forget about it and can't figure out why you can't connect another device wirelessly.

gdm
MVM
Mchenry, IL

gdm

MVM

Not sure how it's a waste of time but to each his own....
aeroguy70
Premium Member
join:2005-05-06
Carol Stream, IL

aeroguy70 to bw21638

Premium Member

to bw21638
I have u-verse and the hp d7460 running via wireless through the uverse rg, it works great from both mine and my wifes laptops.

the printer has a wizard you follow from the built in touchscreen. it will connect no problem. assuming you have the rg setup beforehand for wifi & I also recommend wpa2 for security. you'll need the password as you complete the wizard for the printer & then it will connect.

then you install the printer software on your pc's which is pretty easy too - also a wizard of sorts, it will ask yu whether the printer is connected via local, ethernet, or wireless - just choose wireless & then it will search & find it.

good luck - I really do like the hp7460 printer & it works great via wireless