page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 8 · 9 · 10 · next

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Bicephale

Re: Single-link MLPPP on Windows with Virtualbox (instructions)

There were many questionable infrastructure choices in ZeroShell. But it's still far easier to get up and running than doing it yourself from scratch.

joshmxpx

join:2009-01-10
reply to Guspaz
awesome guide!

i got it working and running without a hitch, now my only question is what exactly i need to do when i start up my pc.

this is what i am doing:

1.start virtual box
2.starting zeroshell/mlppp machine
3.opening browser and opening 192.168.0.75
4.clicking setup, then network to see that pppoe connection PPP0 is connected

do #3 and #4 need to be done, and does anything need to be done in the virtual machine, or can it just sit at the main menu?

so far working good, and according to utorrent all my ports are forwarded properly (this had been done through my router previously, does it also need to be done in zeroshell?)

thanks

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3
said by joshmxpx:

do #3 and #4 need to be done, and does anything need to be done in the virtual machine, or can it just sit at the main menu?
Once you've started the virtual machine, and let it boot, then it should be fine. No need to interact with it.

joshmxpx

1 edit
reply to Guspaz
false alarm.

it was working perfectly and i was hitting some good speeds (100k+ with average seeds), but then i rebooted and started everything up again and now it is locked at 30k again.

is there anything i can check to make sure that it is configured properly?

would it have anything to do with my ip address (currently set to 192.168.0.65 according to 2wire settings page)? i have this set to obtain automatically in my network settings. i have dhcp enabled on the router, should this be disabled since zero shell is supposed to be handling the dhcp requests?

any help would really be appreciated, because i hate being stuck behind this bell throttle...

NBomb

join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Guspaz
Guspaz,

Would this work under Parallels, or is virtualbox required?

erfans

join:2008-10-10
Canada
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·voip.ms

3 edits
reply to Guspaz
Wow guys, I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!
I followed every single one of your steps and it worked like a charm! I'm downloading at max speed in uTorrent even though I have the RED exclamation mark indicating my port is not forwarded. Excellent instructions, so easy to follow, I really appreciate it guys! I'm guessing I have to forward the ports in my router and that should take care of the RED exclamation symbol in uTorrent.

Excellent work guys!

EDIT:
I'm sure I messed up somewhere. I rebooted my computer to get used to this and see if I encounter any problems and I did. After the reboot, I launched my virtual machine and then ZeroShell/MLPPP and after a few seconds I get the following error:

plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded
PPP session is 5810
Starting negotiation on EH00
remote message: access denied
PAP authentication failed.
connection terminated.
redial: pppd exited

it loops over and over again. where did I mess up?
I did reboot my router just before I rebooted my computer. I had to reboot the router after port forwarding.

EDIT (SOLUTION):
I went to my ZeroShell settings page (192.168.0.75) -> SETUP -> Network and then clicked on CONFIGURE next to PPP0. My TekSavvy username and password were changed back to default but the rest of the settings remained as they were. So I entered in my teksavvy account details and now it works again

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to joshmxpx
Some things to try/check:

1) Did you follow step 27 (enable multi-link in the dropdown)?

2) Did you check the "Reject..." checkbox to make sure multilink is working?

3) Did you do a traceroute to make sure you're passing through the ZeroShell router?

4) Did you try rebooting your modem (keep it off for a few minutes)?

If DHCP is enabled on your 2wire, you're probably not going through ZeroShell, you're probably going through the 2wire.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to NBomb
said by NBomb:

Guspaz,

Would this work under Parallels, or is virtualbox required?
It's not required, I just picked it because it's free for all platforms.

If you want to use Parallels, the instructions are very similar. Just set up a new 2.6 kernel virtual machine, and make sure it is using the equivalent of host networking (simulates a real ethernet card). To follow the instructions above, your VM software (Parallels) also needs to support VMWare disk images, or else you'll have to install ZeroShell yourself instead of using the pre-made VMWare version.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to erfans
said by erfans:

Wow guys, I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!
I followed every single one of your steps and it worked like a charm! I'm downloading at max speed in uTorrent even though I have the RED exclamation mark indicating my port is not forwarded. Excellent instructions, so easy to follow, I really appreciate it guys! I'm guessing I have to forward the ports in my router and that should take care of the RED exclamation symbol in uTorrent.

Excellent work guys!
Yes, you'll have to forward the ports yourself (ZeroShell doesn't support UPnP, so uTorrent can't do it for you).

You can find instructions on that earlier in this thread (»Re: Single-link MLPPP on Windows with Virtualbox (instructions)).

DSL_Ricer
Premium
reply to Guspaz
5) did you remove your pppoe connection from windows?

NBomb

Etobicoke, ON

2 edits
reply to Guspaz
Alright, I can't get this to work. The VM can't seem to reach anything. 'ping www.ibm.com' gives me an 'unknown host' message.

Is there some step I missed? I'm getting hung up on step 22.

Network properties in the web management panel says 'Connecting to PPPoE Server'...

Currently I'm going [computer -> dlink router -> modem -> internet] - should I be directly connected to the modem?

joshmxpx

reply to Guspaz
1 yes
1 yes
3 ??
4 yes, this seemed to do the trick.

however, now when i start windows cold, the network shows the yellow triangle with "limited connectivity" warning. the internet or nothing will work until i force windows to try to repair the connection, then it connected through the virtual box and now everything seems to be working fine.

question: if i haven't changed anything on my other computers, will they run through the mlppp connection as well (assuming its running on the main rig), or do i need to install the virtual box on every computer i wish to run a mlppp connection on?

thanks again guys for all your help

q12345

join:2008-10-18
North York, ON
reply to Guspaz
Guspaz, people like you are what makes this forum great! Your instructions were awesome and everything is working fantastic. I just had a computer crash and things came up perfect after rebooting.

I have a question: there's an update patch for ZeroShell at

»www.zeroshell.net/eng/patch-deta···ls/#C100

Should I even bother?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to NBomb
You can try connecting directly to the modem. Also, did you do step 10-12? Did you select the right network device? ZeroShell is unable to connect to the net.

Clark_Kent

join:2003-01-11
canada
reply to DSL_Ricer
Having issue with wget http: //fixppp.org/downloads/ZeroShell-MLPPP-1.0beta11-mp1alpha3.tar.bz2

Still getting that host not found.

I wrote exactly what i paste on top and still nothing.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to joshmxpx
said by joshmxpx:

however, now when i start windows cold, the network shows the yellow triangle with "limited connectivity" warning. the internet or nothing will work until i force windows to try to repair the connection, then it connected through the virtual box and now everything seems to be working fine.
Probably has something to do with Windows bringing up the interface before ZeroShell has had a chance to start up. You'll probably have to keep doing that.

question: if i haven't changed anything on my other computers, will they run through the mlppp connection as well (assuming its running on the main rig), or do i need to install the virtual box on every computer i wish to run a mlppp connection on?
No, you only need one machine on your network running ZeroShell. As long as there are no other DHCP servers and all your other machines are set to use DHCP, things should just work.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to q12345
said by q12345:

Guspaz, people like you are what makes this forum great! Your instructions were awesome and everything is working fantastic. I just had a computer crash and things came up perfect after rebooting.

I have a question: there's an update patch for ZeroShell at

»www.zeroshell.net/eng/patch-deta···ls/#C100

Should I even bother?
Probably not, wait for word from DSL_Ricer.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Clark_Kent
said by Clark_Kent:

Having issue with wget http: //fixppp.org/downloads/ZeroShell-MLPPP-1.0beta11-mp1alpha3.tar.bz2

Still getting that host not found.

I wrote exactly what i paste on top and still nothing.
So your PPP device didn't connect to the net? Did you complete steps 10-12 properly, and select the right network device?

DSL_Ricer
Premium
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Probably not, wait for word from DSL_Ricer.
It is a security patch. From the looks of it it's for the web interface.

As far as I see their should be no interactions so it should be safe to install. I haven't tried it my-self though.

Clark_Kent

join:2003-01-11
canada
reply to Guspaz
yes it is connected....has I see in the box in the bottom

Jan 12 21:18,31 SUCCESS: Session opened from host 192.168.0.121 (Admin)
Jan 12 21:30,45 SUCCESS: ppp0 (PPPoE) successfully created.

q12345

join:2008-10-18
North York, ON

1 edit
reply to Guspaz
EDIT: sorry, this was a double post because my pc just crashed and I didn't know whether my previous post went up or not.

NBomb

Etobicoke, ON

3 edits
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

You can try connecting directly to the modem. Also, did you do step 10-12? Did you select the right network device? ZeroShell is unable to connect to the net.
That's what I gathered. However the computer doesn't seem to want to connect direct, I don't know why.

10-yes
11-yes
12-not quite sure if I did it right, but I'm able to access the web-management panel from 192.168.0.75...

There are a bunch of adaptors, two 'PCnet' ones, and two Intel ones listed... is this something common to the package, or what's on my system?

Yeah, none of the 4 changes anything.

From the ppp log:

22:34:23 Using interface ppp0
22:34:23 Connect: ppp0 /dev/pts/1
22:34:28 tcflush failed: Bad file descriptor
22:34:28 Exit.
22:34:33 pppd 2.4.3 started by root, uid 0
22:34:33 Using interface ppp0
22:34:33 Connect: ppp0 /dev/pts/0
22:35:04 LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
22:35:04 Connection terminated.
22:35:04 Using interface ppp0
22:35:04 Connect: ppp0 /dev/pts/1
22:35:09 tcflush failed: Bad file descriptor
22:35:09 Exit.

rinse, repeat (when I have the router logged out from the DSL or logged in)

eots

join:2003-02-04
reply to Guspaz
Is there a way to make this work using VMWare Server instead of VirtualBox?

DSL_Ricer
Premium
said by eots:

Is there a way to make this work using VMWare Server instead of VirtualBox?
It should work just fine.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Clark_Kent
Can you ping google?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to NBomb
Those are what's on your system. You need to pick the one that connects to your modem.

If you don't know which one it is, you could try each of them.

NBomb

Etobicoke, ON

2 edits
I tried all 4 and nothing worked... but I managed to get it working direct to modem and it seems to be working. Trying step 22+ now.

Seems to be working now!

Is there any specific way of knowing if it's working correctly though? Just if the torrents go fast?

-----

OMG I think it's working! You guys are a godsend, Guspaz! :D

eots

reply to DSL_Ricer
I tried each of the virtual NIC settings (Bridged, HostOnly and NAT), but can't access the ZeroShell web page at 192.168.0.75 or ping the address. It works if I use VirtualBox, but I prefer to have all my virtual servers running in the same environment when they're all on the same computer.

What am I missing in the VMware setup?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
You definitely need to use Bridged networking with VMWare. I don't have a copy, so I can't really help debug that, but make sure your PC is on the right subnet. You may also want to try an alternate simulated NIC type if it gives you options.

eots

2 edits
Never mind I got it working in VMware. Your ZeroShell instructions are excellent.