Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3
reply to Yelostang

Re: Single-link MLPPP on Windows with Virtualbox (instructions)

said by Yelostang :

INIT: Id "7" respawning too fast:disabled for 5 minutes
Ignore this. It's just telling you you don't have a serial port in the virtual machine.

try:
ping google.ca

If that fails, then you messed up a previous step. Try again starting at 16.

Bicephale

join:2005-09-24

2 edits
reply to Guspaz
Hi Guspaz,

Gu> ...it's still far easier to get up and running than doing it yourself...

Quite true, i wouldn't have downloaded it out of curiosity otherwise!

Clark_Kent

join:2003-01-11
canada
reply to Guspaz
I am at number 22...everything above no problem...it is even connected and all. But at number 22 when you do the wget path that come back to say failure....cant find host.

anyone else had that issue?

Clark_Kent

canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Click for full size
This is what the problem I am now.

Yelostang

@teksavvy.com
reply to DSL_Ricer
Thank you very much DSL_Ricer, I will try it again today and post back. I also came across the same problem as LucasMoon in step #22...not sure if that means anything...

Clark_Kent

canada
reply to Guspaz
Just notice that it seem it is not getting connected from the log files of zeroshell.

09:22:37 Using interface ppp0
09:22:37 Connect: ppp0 /dev/pts/1
09:22:42 tcflush failed: Bad file descriptor
09:22:42 Exit.

Jabber

join:2006-06-19
Scarborough, ON

1 edit
reply to Clark_Kent
Upon reflection, I do not wish to post. Take me back!

q12345

join:2008-10-18
North York, ON
reply to Clark_Kent
LucasMoon, the letters are case sensitive. You forgot to capitalize some of the letters like "MLPPP" and "ZeroShell".

A question to Guspaz: do I need to do steps 22-25 every time I reboot my computer? Or is it a one time thing? Thanks in advance. Also, thanks DSL_Ricer - yer a good guy!

jamend

join:2008-03-27
Montreal, QC
reply to Guspaz
Thanks for the guide! I got it working for multi-link in VMware with a second bridged network for the second NIC+modem (protip: file > virtual network editor > host virtual network mapping). Now I don't have to hunt down a Tomato-supporting router

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Guspaz
I'm not sure why it doesn't connect for some people, all I can say is you probably messed up steps 10-12.

Case sensitivity would give you a 404 error, not a host not found error.

You don't need to do any steps when you reboot your computer, just start the virtualmachine.

gdogg

join:2006-02-06
reply to jamend
said by jamend:

Thanks for the guide! I got it working for multi-link in VMware with a second bridged network for the second NIC+modem (protip: file > virtual network editor > host virtual network mapping). Now I don't have to hunt down a Tomato-supporting router
Thanks, I got 2 lines working now also.
3 just makes everything stop working, wasn't able to find a solution to this.

q12345

join:2008-10-18
North York, ON
reply to Guspaz
You're right (as always) - I stand corrected. Case sensitivity does indeed give an error 404. Please disregard my previous erroneous advice everyone.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to gdogg
Could you provide more info? We're unable to test with three physical lines as we've only got two for testing. And I doubt I could convince Rocky to install a third line for testing purposes :P

yayayaya

@teksavvy.com
reply to Guspaz
Maybe via PM, all my posts take a while to appear.

gdogg

3 edits
reply to Guspaz
Well, it basically just goes dead on the download.
I am able to do pings still, to test for what mtu can be used and that hasn't changed.

Upload works fine, but no websites etc will work.

2 everything is fine.
Not sure what I can do to help.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
Do you have the MTU/MRRU/MSS/etc. set to automatic or specific values?

gdogg

2 edits
I've tried, the values in your first post.
And different variations lower to 1400.

Mss sizes I let get calculated auto.

I've also tried auto, which works best using 2 connections

joshmxpx

join:2009-01-10
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Did you follow step 29?

As for port forwarding, it actually took me a while to figure that out too (I didn't clue in to the "Virtual Server" wording):

1 - Log into the ZeroShell webconfig

2 - Click on "Router" on the left-hand menu

3 - Click on "Virtual Server" on the top menu

4 - Select "ppp0" for the interface

5 - Leave "IP Address" as "ANY"

6 - Select the protocol (TCP/UDP) you want forwarded

7 - Enter the port to be forwarded in the "Local Port" field. This is the port it will listen on.

8 - Enter your computer's (or the computer to forward to) LAN IP in the "Remote IP" field

9 - If you want the external port forwarded to a different port, specify the internal port in the "Remote Port" field. Normally this will be auto-populated with what you entered in "Local Port".

10 - Press the "+" button to add the rule, close the window. You're done.

To delete a rule, select the radio button next to it and click the "-" button.

UPnP does not work with ZeroShell.
where do i look to find out what to put in for step #8?

does the virtualbox assign my comp a static ip that i would use there, or does my computer just get assigned an ip from the dhcp server that we set up in zeroshell?

thanks

gdogg

reply to Guspaz
I've tried playing around with the other settings now too, higher / lower, longer wait times (20) before retrying.

Seems as soon as that third connection kicks in, it can ping (on speedtest.net) but starting the download just times out.

If its running the test in advanced and finishes the download part and running the upload when connection 3 kicks in, the upload will work for all 3 connections, but fails to load anything of the speedtest after or any new web pages.

Ping via command prompt is still available as is downloading via udp / uploading tcp / udp via utorrent.

I am thinking it has something to do with 3 connections and no download fragmentation.

But if you can think of anything I could try, settings wise or if there's a log with information that could help, let me know.

I'm gonna play tf2 for a few hours.

Jabber

join:2006-06-19
Scarborough, ON
reply to joshmxpx
It would depend on what you did in step 31. If you manually entered an IP, you would stick that IP in there (ex: 192.168.0.42). If you went the DHCP route, it would, as you said, get assigned an IP by Zeroshell.

Either way, you can check your IP by going to Control Panel > Network Connections > Your Connection. Right click and select Status and then click the Support tab.

joshmxpx

said by Jabber:

It would depend on what you did in step 31. If you manually entered an IP, you would stick that IP in there (ex: 192.168.0.42). If you went the DHCP route, it would, as you said, get assigned an IP by Zeroshell.

Either way, you can check your IP by going to Control Panel > Network Connections > Your Connection. Right click and select Status and then click the Support tab.
thanks, if the dhcp is assigning an ip, would it not change all the time and defeat the purpose of the port forwarding?

also, another question:

since all internet traffic is being routed through the virtual box in this scenario, does that device need to be running 24/7? ie, if i wish to surf the net with my laptop, which is not running the software, does the virtual box need to be running on my main rig? same for voip/xbox live/etc...

i really like that guspaz created this, but i don't want to have to start it up everytime i need to use the internet or play xbox or use phone, etc, plus wife would get pretty frustrated if nothing was working properly.

thanks

erfans

join:2008-10-10
Canada
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·voip.ms

1 edit
^
First of all, no you don't NEED to have this running to access the internet. Secondly, you don't need to change ports at all. IP changes but your individual computer's IP on LAN doesn't change I guess, I could be wrong. But at least I don't have to change ports. I'm on D'LINK DIR-625. Even though I'm on DHCP and on dynamic IP, my router always assigns the same individual IP to each computer on LAN. Finally, you only run the Virtual Machine and then click on START, that will launch your ZeroShell/MLPPP machine which will then bypass throttling.

In short, you don't need this to connect to the internet. But you need it to bypass throttling. It's as simple as launching the program and then torrenting. You'll still have access to internet without this running and you don't have to change ports all the time.

edit: typo

joshmxpx

i think may setup may be a little different than yours, then, because i cannot connect to the internet unless the zeroshell is running, otherwise windows tells me that my network connectivity is limited and won't connect unless the zeroshell app is running. i am using a 2wire if that makes a difference.

once i have it running everything is fine, its just annoying for other people who just want to do casual stuff and don't know why somethings aren't working. for now i am just doing any downloading in the morning when the throttle is not yet active and crossing my fingers that the single link mlppp situation for windows is rectified...

Chaos_Armed

join:2008-02-12
Ajax, ON
reply to Guspaz
I double checked my settings, but the wget still returns a host not found or something like that...

gdogg

reply to Guspaz
I was able to find something in the log this time when I was connecting 3 lines.
00:24:43 Timeout waiting for PADO packets

Clark_Kent

canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Chaos_Armed
I get that also since from the start. And the reason is if you check on zeroshell settings on the browser ..not the virtual box. If you check your pppoe connection..you will notice you are NOT connected and that is the reason why you get no host found.

Try do a ping in the virtual box...instead of using wget..use ping www.google.com and you will get nothing...that mean you are not connected.

If you have install the whole thing behind a router...wont work...you need to have the setup done from computer and modem ONLY.

Chaos_Armed

Ajax, ON
reply to Guspaz
It's impossible with a router?

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
said by Chaos_Armed:

It's impossible with a router?
Depends on the router and how the modem's plugged in.

hhpeter

join:2006-10-15
GTA

2 edits
reply to Guspaz
My computer just restarts when I start virtual box
My setup is 2wire modem directly to computer
So I followed the instructions installed virtual box but everytime I start it the computer just crashes and restarts, it looks like it works when i choose nat instead of host interface in step 11, but that's no good right, I had some problems in step 15 to set the ip and subnet on the machine but finally I set it up and once I actually enter the setup by typing » 192.168.0.75 and was setting up the ppoe connection when the machine crashed again and restarted...can somebody help me here?

Chaos_Armed

Ajax, ON
reply to DSL_Ricer
In order to do the MLPPP through windows, I had it in a bizarre setup someone suggested, it might have even been you. The modem is plugged into a LAN slot, and another LAN slot is plugged into the WAN slot.