Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

4 edits

1 recommendation

Single-link MLPPP on Windows with Virtualbox (instructions)

What this post contains: Instructions on installing ZeroShell and VirtualBox on Windows.

Why you might do this: If you're a TekSavvy customer who uses Single-Link MLPPP on Windows to evade Bell's throttling, that's broken right now. Using this guide, you can set up a "virtual machine" inside your Windows computer that will do all your MLPPP routing. You DO NOT need any extra hardware, just a Windows computer.

EDIT: This instructions also more or less work on (intel) Mac OS X too, which never had working MLPPP. You can even do 2+ lines (multi-link). The instructions are the same, just go to the VirtualBox website and download the MacOS X version of VirtualBox instead.

Instructions:

1 - Download VirtualBox: »download.virtualbox.org/virtualb···_x86.msi

2 - Download ZeroShell's VMWare package: »na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/zerosh···WARE.zip

3 - Install VirtualBox (hit next a lot, allow all drivers to install, skip registration, etc.)

4 - If ZeroShell is still downloading, we'll create a new VirtualBox VM. Launch VirtualBox.

5 - Name it whatever you want (I called mine "ZeroShell/MLPPP"). Set the OS to "Linux" and the version to "Linux 2.6"

6 - If you can afford it, leave RAM at 128MB. You can get away with 64MB if you're tight on RAM, but you might be hitting swap a bit until it gets the stuff it doesn't need out of RAM.

7 - The next screen asks you about the hard disk. For this, you'll need to have finished downloading ZeroShell (and have it extracted somewhere permanent). Click "Existing", and then "Add", then select "Zeroshell.vmdk". Click the "Select" button to close that window, and then click "Next" and then "Finish".

8 - Go to the settings dialog for your new virtualmachine.

9 - Go to the CD/DVD-ROM page, enable and click "ISO Image File. Click the little folder next to it, similar to when you selected the zeroshell hard disk, select "ZeroShell-1.0.betea11.iso".

10 - Go to the "Network" tab.

11 - In the "Attached to:" dropdown, select "Host Interface"

12 - MAKE SURE that the device selected at the bottom of the screen is the one that your modem or switch is plugged into. ZeroShell must be able to see the modem through this device!

13 - Click OK and start the virtual machine. Note the instructions on the auto capture keyboard thing (it will capture your keyboard/mouse, the right control button is to get out.

14 - Ignore reg requests, allow it through all firewalls, etc. ZeroShell will boot.

15 - Your windows machine must be on the 192.168.0.x subnet. So perhaps you should set your windows machine's IP to 192.168.0.42 or something.

16 - You should now be able to access ZeroShell at "https://192.168.0.75/", check this works first. If this doesn't work, you won't get anywhere continuing from here. You'll probably have to add a certificate exception. YOU MUST USE FIREFOX OR SEAMONKEY BECAUSE ZEROSHELL/MLPPP DOES NOT CURRENTLY WORK WITH INTERNET EXPLORER. Other browsers might work.

17 - We're going to now set up regular PPP first, so that ZeroShell can access the internet. Log in (username/password is admin/zeroshell).

18 - In the left-hand menu, click "Setup" (first item), then in the top-of-screen menu click "Network" (third item)

19 - Click the "New PPPoE" button at the top of the screen. A dialog box will appear.

20 - Enter your TekSavvy username and password. Select "Yes" in the "Autostart [...]" dropdown. Give it a name ("TekSavvy", for example). Give it a description ("TekSavvy Single-Link MLPPP" for example). Save. PLEASE NOTE THAT ZEROSHELL DOES NOT AUTO-REFRESH PAGES, AND STATUS WILL NOT UPDATE ITSELF UNLESS YOU CLICK "NETWORK" AGAIN.

21 - Switch back to VirtualBox. Your virtual machine will now show the default ZeroShell screen. From here we're going to follow the ZeroShell/MLPPP installation instructions. Press "s" to open a shell.

22 - Type this (case sensitive!):

wget http://fixppp.org/downloads/ZeroShell-MLPPP-1.0beta11-mp1alpha3.tar.bz2

NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE PUBLICLY RELEASED ZEROSHELL/MLPPP, THIS IS A NEWER VERSION, DO NOT GET IT FROM FIXPPP.ORG THROUGH THE SITE. This newer version has some important bug fixes, it'll be posted on the site when we have a chance.

23 - Type this:

tar xjvf Zero<TAB>

The tab key will autocomplete the rest of the filename.

24 - Type this:

cd C001

25 - Type this:

./install.sh

ZeroShell/MLPPP is now installed! Type "exit" to get out of that screen.

26 - Go back to the network config web page, and click "configure" next to PPP0.

27 - First, select "On" in the "Multi-link mode" dropdown. Don't worry about the ethernet devices, you only have one.

28 - Click the "+Advanced" link to expand the advanced options. Check the "Reject non-MLPPP connections" option, just to be safe. Since we don't really have status reporting working yet, this will ensure you're really doing MLPPP.

29 - Override the MTU and MRRU settings by selecting "Manual" in their dropdown boxes and putting in "1487" for the MTU and "1486" for the MRRU.

30 - Scroll up and hit "Save". You're done, your ZeroShell "box" will now be connected via MLPPP.

31 - You have two options now. Either you manually type in the gateway and DNS servers (you can put 192.168.0.75 for both) on your windows and other computers, or you can set up DHCP on ZeroShell to automate this. If you don't mind manually typing in the gateway and DNS, stop here. If you want DHCP, continue.

32 - Click on "DHCP" in the left-hand menu. In the first row, that starts with "Active on:", click the "New" button. In the "Available" dropdown, select the first one, that ends in (ETH00). Click OK.

33 - In the Dynamic IP Configuration setting, we need to make a range. Next to "Range 1", enter "192.168.0.100" in the first box, and "192.168.0.150" in the second box. Click "Save" at the top of the page.

34 - Set your computers up to automatically obtain everything (auto get IP).

That's it, you're done! Enjoy!

EDIT: I should note, I made this post through the ZeroShell/MLPPP VirtualBox :)

Helochut

join:2007-10-14
Mississauga, ON

I will never trade Guspaz for an army of Juniper tech's

Helochut

Mississauga, ON
reply to Guspaz

It works great! Thanks Guspaz

Grounded01

join:2007-12-13
canada

1 edit
reply to Guspaz

Thank you, this is excellent!

"hit next a lot" is the most straightforward line of instruction I've ever had!

I've run into one problem - changing my subnet mask. I know how to do this on Vista, but I'm not sure what to enter for IP address & default gateway if I'm entering 192.168.0.42 for subnet mask. Please advise on those (and if I should also enter DNS servers.)

EDIT: Probably everyone in this forum (other than me) knows the too-obvious answer.

Trisomy21

join:2006-04-27
Kingston, ON

Awesome guide. Bye again throttle!

Trisomy21

Kingston, ON
reply to Grounded01

You only need to change your IP address to 192.168.0.x
in TCP/IP properties. I left DNS blank IF you're automating it the DHCP stuff through ZeroShell.

Grounded01

canada

Thanks Trisomy,

Maybe I'm confusing this a bit more than I thought. I'm changing this in TCP/IPv4 > Properties. When I have set IP in the past I've always had to set IP, Subnet mask, and Default Gateway. Of course I've never set them for VirtualBox. I'll try just setting the IP & see what happens...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

If you did the DHCP setup part of the instructions, then you can just set everything to be obtained automatically. If you want to do the setup yourself, leave the subnet mask at the default (should be 255.255.255.0, I believe), set the IP to something in the 192.168.0.x range (that doesn't conflict with anything else), and set your DNS server to 192.168.0.75.

ZeroShell will act as its' own DNS server. It doesn't use TekSavvy's, it does the same thing as TekSavvy's.

Grounded01

canada

3 edits
reply to Guspaz

Okay, incredibly stupid question #2 - hopefully my last. How do I enter the symbol » in the line: wget »fixppp.org/downloads/ZeroShell-M···.tar.bz2

OxBB just won't cut it.

Okay, the board is adding the accented A to this, it's just the double forward arrow proceeding fixppp.org that I can't figure out.

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3

1 edit

that should be (with no space)
http: //fixppp.org/downloads/ZeroShell-MLPPP-1.0beta11-mp1alpha3.tar.bz2
It's the message board software screwing the url.

Grounded01

canada

Thank you DSL_Ricer. I feel a little less stupid after all.

Aside from my moments of extreme haziness, everything ran smoothly & it seems to be happily set up.

My final foolish question is what now? I'm still connected through Windows which never dropped the connection through the set-up. Is this working in tandem with the Windows log-in now? Shouldn't I be logging in now (and from now on,) with a ZeroShell/MLPPP login of some sort? I'm guessing that when I reboot the computer I don't need to restart VirtualBox - but my guessing isn't worth a whole lot.

Thank you both for the terrific work on this & Tomato, and the tireless & gracious support throughout. It's that total TekSavvy vibe!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

You'll need to start up VirtualBox every time you reboot, although there may be some way to make a startup item to start it, I've no idea. You'll also have to keep it running and minimized, although there are various tools that can minimize it to your system tray.

You'll want to delete your Windows PPPoE connection entirely; having one that isn't in use causes really annoying things, whenever a connection fails it tries to open the PPPoE connection.

If your ethernet card is set up to connect to the net through ZeroShell (by setting the gateway and DNS to 192.168.0.75), then everything should work.

Grounded01

canada

And of course my guess was wrong.

I logged out of everything & re-logged into VB/ZS & it all seems good!

I'm not connectible anymore. I found port forwarding but oddly, don't see where to specify the ports.

This is up & running - that's the major hurdle. Thank you again & please get some sleep!

Grounded01

canada
reply to Guspaz

Looks like I may have a slight problem: I'm replicating an issue I had when I tried upping my (Vista) MTU to 1500 from 1480 - I lost access to certain specific websites. I'm getting that again & the exact same sites. I can't reach the »www.washingtonpost.com or www.weather.ca . Those are two of about a dozen sites I could not reach with the 1500 MTU/Windows login. The pages never timed out or gave up, Firefox just spun it's little wheel for days at a time. Same with IE. (It's not a "W" thing - there other sites, I just don't recall which to try at the moment.) In the end I dropped my MTU to 1854 and everything was smooth. Until the Internet blew up this weekend, that is.

Strange that this happening again with the Linux virtual box. I wonder, would it be the same using Linksys/Tomato? I do believe that my line is uniquely screwy.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

2 edits

Did you follow step 29?

As for port forwarding, it actually took me a while to figure that out too (I didn't clue in to the "Virtual Server" wording):

1 - Log into the ZeroShell webconfig

2 - Click on "Router" on the left-hand menu

3 - Click on "Virtual Server" on the top menu

4 - Select "ppp0" for the interface

5 - Leave "IP Address" as "ANY"

6 - Select the protocol (TCP/UDP) you want forwarded

7 - Enter the port to be forwarded in the "Local Port" field. This is the port it will listen on.

8 - Enter your computer's (or the computer to forward to) LAN IP in the "Remote IP" field

9 - If you want the external port forwarded to a different port, specify the internal port in the "Remote Port" field. Normally this will be auto-populated with what you entered in "Local Port".

10 - Press the "+" button to add the rule, close the window. You're done.

To delete a rule, select the radio button next to it and click the "-" button.

UPnP does not work with ZeroShell.

Bicephale

join:2005-09-24
reply to Guspaz

Hummm...

I don't get it. Why are there remnants of X11
if Mr. Ricciardi didn't intend his LiveCD to have
a GUI? At least i would have expected to find
'Midnight Commander' or else, not to mention
the fact that 'Lynx' appears to be broken as a
result of not finding 'LibSSL v0.9.7', whatever...

DjEclipse

join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to Guspaz

This may be a dumb question, but do we need to do this if we are using the WRT54GL router with your tomato software on it?

Mine just came in the mail and I was going to set it up tonight.

Trisomy21

Kingston, ON

No you don't need to do this with the WRT54GL + Tomato. This is for people who were directly connecting to their modem single link.

Turbinator

Mississauga, ON
reply to Guspaz

Thank you for this, it's amazing. Thank you !

DjEclipse

join:2007-11-20
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to Trisomy21

said by Trisomy21:

No you don't need to do this with the WRT54GL + Tomato. This is for people who were directly connecting to their modem single link.
Cool,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Bicephale

There were many questionable infrastructure choices in ZeroShell. But it's still far easier to get up and running than doing it yourself from scratch.

joshmxpx

join:2009-01-10
reply to Guspaz

awesome guide!

i got it working and running without a hitch, now my only question is what exactly i need to do when i start up my pc.

this is what i am doing:

1.start virtual box
2.starting zeroshell/mlppp machine
3.opening browser and opening 192.168.0.75
4.clicking setup, then network to see that pppoe connection PPP0 is connected

do #3 and #4 need to be done, and does anything need to be done in the virtual machine, or can it just sit at the main menu?

so far working good, and according to utorrent all my ports are forwarded properly (this had been done through my router previously, does it also need to be done in zeroshell?)

thanks

DSL_Ricer
Premium

said by joshmxpx:

do #3 and #4 need to be done, and does anything need to be done in the virtual machine, or can it just sit at the main menu?
Once you've started the virtual machine, and let it boot, then it should be fine. No need to interact with it.

joshmxpx

join:2009-01-10

1 edit
reply to Guspaz

false alarm.

it was working perfectly and i was hitting some good speeds (100k+ with average seeds), but then i rebooted and started everything up again and now it is locked at 30k again.

is there anything i can check to make sure that it is configured properly?

would it have anything to do with my ip address (currently set to 192.168.0.65 according to 2wire settings page)? i have this set to obtain automatically in my network settings. i have dhcp enabled on the router, should this be disabled since zero shell is supposed to be handling the dhcp requests?

any help would really be appreciated, because i hate being stuck behind this bell throttle...

NBomb

join:2007-01-23
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Guspaz

Guspaz,

Would this work under Parallels, or is virtualbox required?

erfans

join:2008-10-10
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·voip.ms

3 edits
reply to Guspaz

Wow guys, I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!
I followed every single one of your steps and it worked like a charm! I'm downloading at max speed in uTorrent even though I have the RED exclamation mark indicating my port is not forwarded. Excellent instructions, so easy to follow, I really appreciate it guys! I'm guessing I have to forward the ports in my router and that should take care of the RED exclamation symbol in uTorrent.

Excellent work guys!

EDIT:
I'm sure I messed up somewhere. I rebooted my computer to get used to this and see if I encounter any problems and I did. After the reboot, I launched my virtual machine and then ZeroShell/MLPPP and after a few seconds I get the following error:

plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded
PPP session is 5810
Starting negotiation on EH00
remote message: access denied
PAP authentication failed.
connection terminated.
redial: pppd exited

it loops over and over again. where did I mess up?
I did reboot my router just before I rebooted my computer. I had to reboot the router after port forwarding.

EDIT (SOLUTION):
I went to my ZeroShell settings page (192.168.0.75) -> SETUP -> Network and then clicked on CONFIGURE next to PPP0. My TekSavvy username and password were changed back to default but the rest of the settings remained as they were. So I entered in my teksavvy account details and now it works again

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to joshmxpx

Some things to try/check:

1) Did you follow step 27 (enable multi-link in the dropdown)?

2) Did you check the "Reject..." checkbox to make sure multilink is working?

3) Did you do a traceroute to make sure you're passing through the ZeroShell router?

4) Did you try rebooting your modem (keep it off for a few minutes)?

If DHCP is enabled on your 2wire, you're probably not going through ZeroShell, you're probably going through the 2wire.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to NBomb

said by NBomb:

Guspaz,

Would this work under Parallels, or is virtualbox required?
It's not required, I just picked it because it's free for all platforms.

If you want to use Parallels, the instructions are very similar. Just set up a new 2.6 kernel virtual machine, and make sure it is using the equivalent of host networking (simulates a real ethernet card). To follow the instructions above, your VM software (Parallels) also needs to support VMWare disk images, or else you'll have to install ZeroShell yourself instead of using the pre-made VMWare version.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to erfans

said by erfans:

Wow guys, I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!
I followed every single one of your steps and it worked like a charm! I'm downloading at max speed in uTorrent even though I have the RED exclamation mark indicating my port is not forwarded. Excellent instructions, so easy to follow, I really appreciate it guys! I'm guessing I have to forward the ports in my router and that should take care of the RED exclamation symbol in uTorrent.

Excellent work guys!
Yes, you'll have to forward the ports yourself (ZeroShell doesn't support UPnP, so uTorrent can't do it for you).

You can find instructions on that earlier in this thread (»Re: Single-link MLPPP on Windows with Virtualbox (instructions)).

DSL_Ricer
Premium
reply to Guspaz

5) did you remove your pppoe connection from windows?