uniqs
share rss forum feed

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to Grounded01

Re: Single-link MLPPP on Windows with Virtualbox (instructions)

that should be (with no space)
http: //fixppp.org/downloads/ZeroShell-MLPPP-1.0beta11-mp1alpha3.tar.bz2
It's the message board software screwing the url.

Grounded01

join:2007-12-13
canada

Thank you DSL_Ricer. I feel a little less stupid after all.

Aside from my moments of extreme haziness, everything ran smoothly & it seems to be happily set up.

My final foolish question is what now? I'm still connected through Windows which never dropped the connection through the set-up. Is this working in tandem with the Windows log-in now? Shouldn't I be logging in now (and from now on,) with a ZeroShell/MLPPP login of some sort? I'm guessing that when I reboot the computer I don't need to restart VirtualBox - but my guessing isn't worth a whole lot.

Thank you both for the terrific work on this & Tomato, and the tireless & gracious support throughout. It's that total TekSavvy vibe!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

You'll need to start up VirtualBox every time you reboot, although there may be some way to make a startup item to start it, I've no idea. You'll also have to keep it running and minimized, although there are various tools that can minimize it to your system tray.

You'll want to delete your Windows PPPoE connection entirely; having one that isn't in use causes really annoying things, whenever a connection fails it tries to open the PPPoE connection.

If your ethernet card is set up to connect to the net through ZeroShell (by setting the gateway and DNS to 192.168.0.75), then everything should work.

Grounded01

join:2007-12-13
canada

And of course my guess was wrong.

I logged out of everything & re-logged into VB/ZS & it all seems good!

I'm not connectible anymore. I found port forwarding but oddly, don't see where to specify the ports.

This is up & running - that's the major hurdle. Thank you again & please get some sleep!

Clark_Kent

join:2003-01-11
canada
reply to DSL_Ricer

Having issue with wget http: //fixppp.org/downloads/ZeroShell-MLPPP-1.0beta11-mp1alpha3.tar.bz2

Still getting that host not found.

I wrote exactly what i paste on top and still nothing.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

said by Clark_Kent:

Having issue with wget http: //fixppp.org/downloads/ZeroShell-MLPPP-1.0beta11-mp1alpha3.tar.bz2

Still getting that host not found.

I wrote exactly what i paste on top and still nothing.
So your PPP device didn't connect to the net? Did you complete steps 10-12 properly, and select the right network device?

Clark_Kent

join:2003-01-11
canada

yes it is connected....has I see in the box in the bottom

Jan 12 21:18,31 SUCCESS: Session opened from host 192.168.0.121 (Admin)
Jan 12 21:30,45 SUCCESS: ppp0 (PPPoE) successfully created.

eots

join:2003-02-04
reply to Guspaz

Is there a way to make this work using VMWare Server instead of VirtualBox?

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3

said by eots:

Is there a way to make this work using VMWare Server instead of VirtualBox?
It should work just fine.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Clark_Kent

Can you ping google?

eots

reply to DSL_Ricer

I tried each of the virtual NIC settings (Bridged, HostOnly and NAT), but can't access the ZeroShell web page at 192.168.0.75 or ping the address. It works if I use VirtualBox, but I prefer to have all my virtual servers running in the same environment when they're all on the same computer.

What am I missing in the VMware setup?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC

You definitely need to use Bridged networking with VMWare. I don't have a copy, so I can't really help debug that, but make sure your PC is on the right subnet. You may also want to try an alternate simulated NIC type if it gives you options.

eots

2 edits

Never mind I got it working in VMware. Your ZeroShell instructions are excellent.