dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Swillx
join:2009-01-12

Swillx to r81984

to r81984

Re: People who work at Geek Squad and call themselves...

I worked for geek squad for all of a month and a half before I quit. Reasons include much of what has been stated. While there as some that work there that are good, the good ones never stay there(ex. myself). Real quick list of why I quit.

1. I cannot stand to work with complete retards.
2. They force you to use there software to fix all problems, your not allowed to troubleshoot and fix your own way/ the right way. It's either fixed by there programs procedures or its falsely declared "fixed" and given back to the customer. Fix it correctly and get written up!
3. I refuse to work somewhere where i'm forced to screw people over hardcore all day, in any way possible, or get punished the following week with 8 hours total scheduled time. Ways we had to screw ppl include the following.
-Target people that diddn't seem to know as much about computers and lie to them to sell them a bunch of extra stuff they do not need. (usually elderly)
-Lie when selling warranties/service plans, these are a huge joke in almost every way. And you will not get what you pay for in them garunteed.
-Prices....OMG have you seen how much they charge for things that take 10 minutes to do? Example, $50 for a NIC install.
-They use a service they call Agent Johnie Utah to clean viruses remotely..which is a service they pay for..outsourced to foreign countries. So some guy half way across the world that cant even speak english is remotely messing with your computer. And when he's done..well it must be fixed, no need to check it or your in deep **** with the managers. I'm sure you guessed...they almost never fix it correctly.
- The service center that they send your stuff to...well you have a bout a 70% chance of getting your stuff back, and a 25% chance of it being fixed correctly. They more times then not will purposely do something to your equipment claim it was you, and then charge you for it and say you voided warranty. I personally inspected alot of stuff that was fine, it then came back with water damage...which isnt covered.
4. 90% of my day was spent listening to customers screaming at me over stuff that others had screwed up, or because of being screwed over.
5. I, like some others thought it would be a good way to get my IT career going and get some real on the job experience after college, and years of working on pc's for money on the side for myself, but the final straw came after them hiring a girl, that knew absolutely nothing about computers..but they thought she could sell more by flirting with the customers.
6. One last thing not really geek squad related..customer service, some of the retards out there seriously need to just stay home..it scares me to death knowing that some of those people are actually driving vehicles out there....far to many people actually fall under this category.

Also your right this job is not an IT job, its just a job where you put in a cd, and let there software do whatever to the computer and give it back..still broken or not.

I however don't think you should not hire someone based at being at geek squad...there are a very small number that actually do know something, especially if you see they werent there long. I now work as an IT guy (Title: PC Coordinator) at a large factory. Leaps and bounds better then the trash that is geek squad.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

said by Swillx:

I worked for geek squad for all of a month and a half before I quit. Reasons include much of what has been stated. While there as some that work there that are good, the good ones never stay there(ex. myself). Real quick list of why I quit.

*snip*

Wow that finishes the decision. I'm not even going to think about working for them, ever.