join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC

1 recommendation

mm to NJ OOL User

Premium Member

to NJ OOL User

Re: [OOL] Atrocious peak time speeds continue. Nothing fixed in

said by NJ OOL User :

I WILL GUARANTEE 80%+ of OOL customers are satisfied with their service. The numbers are probably higher but I won't guarantee that.
That's one way to word it but how about 80% of OOL users are getting the speed CableVision advertises? I doubt you would claim that.

I called everyone I know on CableVision and had them all do the speed test between 7pm-10pm and EVERY single one is getting way less then what CV claims. It works fine at 3am in the morning but who cares.

mig288
Premium Member
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288

Premium Member

Anybody in New Brunswick 08901 having problems?

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to mm

Premium Member

to mm
said by mm:

It works fine at 3am in the morning but who cares.
said by mm:
said by NJ OOL User :

I WILL GUARANTEE 80%+ of OOL customers are satisfied with their service. The numbers are probably higher but I won't guarantee that.
That's one way to word it but how about 80% of OOL users are getting the speed CableVision advertises? I doubt you would claim that.
Yes, but just as nobody cares that it works fine at 3am, nobody cares whether they are getting advertised speeds or not - the only thing that matters is they are satisfied.
said by mm:

I called everyone I know on CableVision and had them all do the speed test between 7pm-10pm and EVERY single one is getting way less then what CV claims.
Ok, and before you had them run the speed test, did you ask if they were satisfied with their OOL service? 100% of the people I have asked (almost everyone here has OOL - a few on DSL) are satisfied with OOL. I'll bet many of them are not getting "advertised speeds" for one reason or another - sharkfin modem, 10-year-old linky router, overloaded node, whatever - but they are satisfied.

NJ OOL User
@lightpath.net

NJ OOL User to mm

Anon

to mm
Ok, I'll GUARANTEE 80%+ of OOL User get Cablevision ADVERTISED speeds. Because it's listed as UP TO 15/30.

You show my 1 ISP that GUARANTEES FULL SPEED ALL the time to ALL users and I'll show you a T1 with SLA because there is NO SUCH thing.

So yes again, you happen to be in a bad area. You are NOT the majority of users though. I can do the SAME survey in my neighborhood (which I got most of them onto OOL) and they ALL are completely satisfied with the service. Everyone I know is completely satisfied, neighbors, co workers, friends, family, etc.

So who's right? Depends on your area AND the LEVEL of user you talk to. YMMV

Rax
Premium Member
join:2003-11-13
Floral Park, NY
·Verizon FiOS

Rax

Premium Member

Well I have Fios and OOL and my OOL is 25 to 50% of Fadvertised most of the time on boost or 15/2 and with my Fios I always get full speeds on my 20/20. Most of my tests are about 19.7/23 all day and night on Fios with and I asked what speed I should get and they say at least 75% unlike OOL saying 2 to 10 mb is ok for OOL's 15/2.
cseeman
join:2005-12-25
Brooklyn, NY

cseeman to NJ OOL User

to NJ OOL User
If you've experienced OOL tech support hold you KNOW that they have MANY unhappy customers. If 20% of the customers leave than the rest of you will be looking for another provider too when Cablevision goes belly up and Time Warner takes over the territory.

Being on the back of the Titanic just means you won't be the first in the water. The discontent is widespread based on the 30 minutes I just spent on hold.
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

1 edit

jimboe to NJ OOL User

to NJ OOL User
said by NJ OOL User :

Ok, I'll GUARANTEE 80%+ of OOL User get Cablevision ADVERTISED speeds. Because it's listed as UP TO 15/30.

You show my 1 ISP that GUARANTEES FULL SPEED ALL the time to ALL users and I'll show you a T1 with SLA because there is NO SUCH thing.

So yes again, you happen to be in a bad area. You are NOT the majority of users though. I can do the SAME survey in my neighborhood (which I got most of them onto OOL) and they ALL are completely satisfied with the service. Everyone I know is completely satisfied, neighbors, co workers, friends, family, etc.

So who's right? Depends on your area AND the LEVEL of user you talk to. YMMV
See problem is, it's WIDESPREAD, as you yourself can read about in this thread. CV themselves consider it a problem if your speed is below 3mbps, which most here that are complaing (from all over) are demonstrating. Most much less than that. Brooklyn (many neighborhoods), NJ (many counties), The Bronx, Long Island.

If I'm affected, then so is my entire node. These are densely populated areas, with many subs. That equates to WHOLE LOT of people. I can't recall a time in recent memory when node overcrowding effected such a wide swath of areas ALL THROUGH their service region. And MORE IMPORTANTLY, that it's been neglegently allowed to continue on for more than a whole year in some areas.

Heck, in this forum I could pick out at least a dozen areas all suffering from oversold nodes-- keep in mind not every area is represented here at dslr.

Common sense dictates that this a a problem effecting a major portion of their user base, whether they're savvy enough to realize or not. CV banks on the fact that the majority are too ignorant to know the "slowness" of their computer is actually their horrendous net connection, and happily continues with business as usual.

BTW: T1's always come with SLA's. That's one of the reasons they're so expensive. Likewise, I'm sure your lightpath connection is pretty rock solid.