uniqs
share rss forum feed

GaryK
Premium
join:2000-08-29
Miami, FL

1 edit

PC/Activity light flashing on modem

Hi all. It's been ages since I posted here. Today I signed-up for ABB's HSI service to see what it's like.

The problem I'm dealing with is the PC/Activity on my Motorola Surfboard modem flashes non-stop. That, in turn, makes the WAN light on my Linksys router flash incessantly. The folks at ABB won't help me because they don't support routers. So my question is, is the flashing a normal behavior?

Thanks in advance for whatever help is offered.

GaryK
Premium
join:2000-08-29
Miami, FL
I've got my answer.

A techie friend of mine told me the light is supposed to flash cause with cable I've got lots of people sharing a node whereas with DSL the connection is more isolated. The flashing I'm seeing are the other people doing things online.

NetLarry

join:2007-03-18
Johnstown, PA

1 edit
reply to GaryK
The PC Activity light has nothing to do with other users. It's sole purpose is to indicate the status of the Ethernet (or USB) connection between the cable modem and the customer equipment (in this case, your router). You can test this for yourself by turning the power off to the router. There is no indication at all of any traffic outside of your premises.

On solid = problem with modem or (more likely) your equipment or software configuration.
Off = The cable from the modem to your equipment is disconnected, defective, or equipment powered off or broken.
Flashing = Data is being transferred.

Just download the user's manual for the Surfboard modem; the first few pages describe the functions of each of the status LEDs on the front of the modem.

Even with my PCs turned off, my Linksys router generates internet traffic (albeit little). So what you're seeing is normal and desirable. Everything's fine!

NetLarry