spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

drewdin

@64.130.229.x

Does anyone know of a better FIOS MODEM?

I hate the ACtiontech modem provided to me by verizon fios for internet. What are my other options? I called verizon and they said I could use other modems but there are none out there, can anyone help me select a quality FIOS modem? Thanks

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:14

The Actiontec is a router, not a modem.

What are the issues you are having with it?

drewdin

@64.130.229.x
reply to drewdin

Hi,

The actiontech is a modem/router combo i beleive, I would like to use a seperate modem with my d-link dgl4300 router if possible. I found a cm-100 from linksys but im not 100% sure if it will work. I tried a motorola sb5101 and that did not work, any suggestions would be awesome!

Maestr0

join:2005-06-19
Tampa, FL

said by drewdin :

Hi,

The actiontech is a modem/router combo i beleive, I would like to use a seperate modem with my d-link dgl4300 router if possible. I found a cm-100 from linksys but im not 100% sure if it will work. I tried a motorola sb5101 and that did not work, any suggestions would be awesome!
Actiontech is ONLY a router. Not a modem.

drewdin

@64.130.229.x
reply to drewdin

I was not aware that it was only a router, how can I use my DLINK DGL-4300 router with FIOS? I'm not sure the best way to convert the coax input to an RJ-45 connection? sorry for my ignorance.

Maestr0

Tampa, FL

LOL...Not ignorance...dont worry. Do a little reading on these forums and you can find some solutions. Basically you can turn the actiontech in to a bridge and still use your old router. Or you can pick up a device called a NIM-100 on ebay. Verizon is also putting out a new router called the Westell 9100 and it seems a little more robust than the actiontec.

I went through the same thing when i switched from cable to FIOS. I didn't know where they put the cable modem til I found out there was no cable modem! I guess the ONT could be thought of as kinda the cable modem...

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to drewdin

said by drewdin :

how can I use my DLINK DGL-4300 router with FIOS? I'm not sure the best way to convert the coax input to an RJ-45 connection?
Start here. There's more FAQs linked from this one.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

drewdin

@64.130.229.x
reply to drewdin

I appreciate it, so im not sure if waiting for the new westell is best or going with NIM-100, what brand is teh NIM? Thanks

Maestr0

Tampa, FL

Motorola NIM-100.

drewdin

@64.130.229.x
reply to drewdin

thanks, ill check it out

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1

3 edits
reply to drewdin

It's not a modem, it's a router that uses MOCA so it can be delivered over coax.. I ran my own CAT6 (Cat5e is fine) to the ONT then just called up and got it switched, it can also be requested in Verizon Direct forum here after the lines are run.

If you have FIOS TV you cant get rid of the actiontec completely regardless of what router you use, but if you run ethernet then the actiontec can be placed BEHIND the new router rather than in front.

Hope my sloppy writing isn't too confusing...

Your existing setup:

-----                   |>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TVs / STBs
   ONT>>>>>COAX>>>SPLITTER|>>>>ACTIONTEC   
  -----

With ethernet/CAT5e/6 run to ONT:
  -----                  
                           |>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TVs / STBs
   ONT|>>>>>COAX>>>SPLITTER|>>>>ACTIONTEC
      |<----CAT5----RTR------ACTIONTEC   
  -----

With a bridged connection:
-----                  
                         |>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TVs / STBs
 ONT|>>>>>COAX>>>SPLITTER|>>>>ACTIONTEC-----RTR-----ACTIONTEC

-----

RTR = your own router, with the actiontec connected to one of its LAN ports.
ONT = Optical Network Terminal, usually mounted on the side of the house.

--
20/20 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1

Fixed my last post.

Cpudan80

join:2007-07-26
Virginia Beach, VA

1 edit
reply to drewdin

It sounds like you're getting the internet over Coax (ie. no CAT5 wire into the white WAN port on the actiontec.) If that is the case, then you cannot use a NIM-100 as that does not pull down WAN signals from the ONT.

If you'd like to replace the actiontec, you'd first have to get your ONT reprovisioned to use CAT5.

>> Edit : There are some fancy bridging techniques you can use to avoid doing this (and avoid running a CAT5/6.) But I don't recommend these because if your power goes out you have to set it all up again.

Then you'd need to run a CAT5/6 from the ONT to your router. From there you'd just plug the wire into the router's WAN port and go to town (be sure to break the lease on the actiontec first.)

If you have FiOS TV service, you'd need to bridge the actiontec together with your router to keep VOD and guide data for your STBs. But that's getting a little ahead of where you are now.

So - let's step back to basics:

1. Do you have FiOS TV?

2. Is your internet currently coming over Coax or CAT5? (Look at the white WAN port on the actiontec.)

3. Do you have a CAT5/6 run between the ONT and the router?

Dan

drewdin

@verizon.net
reply to drewdin

hi, answers are below:

1. no, i have directv
2. coax cable
3. i can install a cat 6 cable but right now im using coax.

Im looking for the verizon number now to get it switched over! thanks

Cpudan80

join:2007-07-26
Virginia Beach, VA

Ok - good - than that makes it easy.

You can ditch the actiontec completely.

Make sure you break the IP lease on the actiontec:

My network --> network connections [on left] --> home --> settings --> release --> apply

Have VZ reprovision your ONT for ethernet. If they won't do it over the phone, then post a request in the VZ direct forum here. Do not let them send a tech, it is not necessary.

Plug a CAT5/6 from the ONT into the WAN port on your chosen router. Done.

Dan

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
Warwick, RI

Try this sequence:

1. Run the cat5 and plug in to the ONT ethernet port on one end, and into the Actiontec WAN port on the other end.
2. Request the changeover.

I may be mistaken, but I think the changeover process will break the lease, and it includes a router reboot which will automatically sense the ethernet provisioning.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

1 edit
reply to Cpudan80

Connect the cat5 cable between the ONT and the Actiontec BEFORE you call or post in VZdirect. The Actiontec will auto-detect the change in provisioning from coax to cat5.
When the change is made you will see the ethernet WAN LED on instead of the coax WAN LED on the fron of the Actiontec.

Also, no need to release the DHCP address when switching from coax to cat5. Your MAC address does not change. It important to do so when switching out the cat5 from the Actiontec to different router.

Corrected reference to MAC address not changing.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by More Fiber:

Connect the cat5 cable between the ONT and the Actiontec BEFORE you call or post in VZdirect. The Actiontec will auto-detect the change in provisioning from coax to cat5.
When the change is made you will see the ethernet WAN LED on instead of the coax WAN LED on the fron of the Actiontec.

Also, no need to release the DHCP address when switching from coax to cat5. Your MAC address does not change. It important to do so when switching out the cat5 from the Actiontec to different router.
Actually, you do need to release the DHCP lease - the Coax WAN and the Ethernet WAN interfaces have different MAC ID's....

JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

The techs that make the switch, must be breaking the leases, Dave, as everyone who sees the switch says there is just a momentary blip in connectivity.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY

Yes they are - if you log in to you Actiontec or Wetsell router, you can see the assigned MAC ID's for each interface. The Ethernet and MoCA (coax) WAN interfaces have unique MAC's....

drewdin

@64.130.229.x
reply to drewdin

they installed the ONT in my livingroom so I have easy access to it, i plugged in both lan and coax last night and the WAN lights on the router light green and were blinking, i didnt unplug the coax, release the DNS or call verizon yet. Im planning on doing that 2moro.

YES, in the living room, i big ugly off white box mounted on the wall. My wife loves it there, ya right.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to nycdave

said by nycdave:

Actually, you do need to release the DHCP lease - the Coax WAN and the Ethernet WAN interfaces have different MAC ID's....
Yes, I know that and posted in a hurry earlier. The point I was trying to make was that the lease would be broken by the reprovisioning.
Expand your moderator at work

drewdin

@verizon.net
reply to drewdin

Re: Does anyone know of a better FIOS MODEM?

HI All, the conversion is complete and I am running the actiontech router using cat5e lan cable. I unplugged the actiontech router and installed my D-Link DGL-4300 router, set it up for DHCP Wan, rebooted it and it will not connect to the internet. I checked all the settings versus the actiontech and they look similar except for the Mac address (Of course)and the IP Addresses. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

scuba_steve

join:2003-11-13
Herndon, VA
reply to drewdin

Wait for awhile. If you did not release the IP correctly, then VZ will keep that IP associated with the AT's MAC address for 30 minutes or so.

If things don't start working in an hour or so, reboot the ONT.

You can do that by unplugging the ONT AND disconnecting the battery...or you can just post in the Verizon direct forums and ask one of the guys to do it remotely.

That's what it took to get my setup to work. I released the AT's IP before connecting my router but it did not work...so I waited an hour and it still did not work...so VZ_Gustavo and I spent 30 minutes on the phone while he kept releasing the IP on his end but something kept grabbing a new IP...even though we had both the Coax and Cat5e disconnected from the ONT.

Gustavo finally rebooted the ONT and everything started to work.

no_coin

join:2002-10-17
Tyngsboro, MA
reply to drewdin

If waiting for the IP to be released does not work, you can 'clone' the ATs WAN MAC address - see its sticker. On my DGL-4100, clone setup is at Basic-> Internet-> Manual Config-> Advanced.

drewdin

@verizon.net
reply to drewdin

thanks guys, so just to be sure. No that my actiontec router is connected to the internet using the cat5e cable i need to release the dhcp again and then connect my dlink router and wait for the dlink router to assign a dhcp address? Is that correct? After i release the IP how long do i have to unplug the router so it does not grab another IP? thanks

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
Warwick, RI

When you release the WAN IP address, look for the Internet status light to go green to orange. Once it's orange, pull the power or hit the little power switch.

drewdin

@verizon.net
reply to drewdin

thanks, ill let you know how it goes

drewdin

@verizon.net
reply to drewdin

Thanks guys, its working like a charm!