All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

drewdin
@64.130.229.x

drewdin to drewdin

Anon

to drewdin

Re: Does anyone know of a better FIOS MODEM?

I was not aware that it was only a router, how can I use my DLINK DGL-4300 router with FIOS? I'm not sure the best way to convert the coax input to an RJ-45 connection? sorry for my ignorance.
Maestr0
join:2005-06-19
Tampa, FL

Maestr0

LOL...Not ignorance...dont worry. Do a little reading on these forums and you can find some solutions. Basically you can turn the actiontech in to a bridge and still use your old router. Or you can pick up a device called a NIM-100 on ebay. Verizon is also putting out a new router called the Westell 9100 and it seems a little more robust than the actiontec.

I went through the same thing when i switched from cable to FIOS. I didn't know where they put the cable modem til I found out there was no cable modem! I guess the ONT could be thought of as kinda the cable modem...

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to drewdin

MVM

to drewdin
said by drewdin :

how can I use my DLINK DGL-4300 router with FIOS? I'm not sure the best way to convert the coax input to an RJ-45 connection?
Start here. There's more FAQs linked from this one.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

3 edits

Vamp to drewdin

Premium Member

to drewdin
It's not a modem, it's a router that uses MOCA so it can be delivered over coax.. I ran my own CAT6 (Cat5e is fine) to the ONT then just called up and got it switched, it can also be requested in Verizon Direct forum here after the lines are run.

If you have FIOS TV you cant get rid of the actiontec completely regardless of what router you use, but if you run ethernet then the actiontec can be placed BEHIND the new router rather than in front.

Hope my sloppy writing isn't too confusing...

Your existing setup:
  -----                   |>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TVs / STBs
   ONT>>>>>COAX>>>SPLITTER|>>>>ACTIONTEC   
  -----

With ethernet/CAT5e/6 run to ONT:
  -----                  
                           |>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TVs / STBs
   ONT|>>>>>COAX>>>SPLITTER|>>>>ACTIONTEC
      |<----CAT5----RTR------ACTIONTEC   
  -----

With a bridged connection:
-----                  
                         |>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TVs / STBs
 ONT|>>>>>COAX>>>SPLITTER|>>>>ACTIONTEC-----RTR-----ACTIONTEC

-----

RTR = your own router, with the actiontec connected to one of its LAN ports.
ONT = Optical Network Terminal, usually mounted on the side of the house.
Vamp

Vamp

Premium Member

Fixed my last post.