spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mgfl

@rr.com

MagicJack Won't Dial Out

Whenever I make a call, hang up, and try to make another, the magic jack never dials out. The status windows says "trying" for 1 second then goes back to dial tone. I try repeatedly and the same thing happens, trying, then dial tone. I have tried bypassing my router to no avail. Any other suggestions?

mjs61

join:2009-01-23
USA
Have you tried a different phone? The first phone I tried had a similar problem, but trying another one seemed to fix it.

That same phone also had a problem dialing out where MJ didn't register all of the key presses, so I had to dial out using the computer. I'm guessing that was a power issue, even though an A/C powered hub didn't fix it -- but I'm not sure if the issue was related to the other problem.

prestonlewis
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-13
Sacramento, CA
reply to mgfl
Just curious, are you dialing using the phone itself or the MJ computer window? If you are only using the phone, try calling out using the MJ computer Window and see if that works. I do find that dialing on the phone can be iffy but using my saved numbers on the MJ window works flawlessly.

shurasama1283

@pldt.net
reply to mgfl
It looks like you are having port problems, try to open some udp ports, for a complete list checkout the link below:

»www.moushigo.com/index.php/2009/···ettings/

amigo_boy

join:2005-07-22
said by shurasama1283 :

It looks like you are having port problems, try to open some udp ports, for a complete list checkout the link below:

»www.moushigo.com/index.php/2009/···ettings/
FWIW: There is a lot of misinformation floating around the MJ forums about MJ requiring ports to be open.

MagicJack doesn't require any open ports (as commonly understood to be port forwarding, allowing an MJ server to open a port on your computer). All open ports are initiated by the softphone to the MJ server(s). Never the other way around.

There are buggy routers which may benefit from enabling port forwarding (or disabling the firewall). But, that's just to fool them into handling something about the NAT translation that they apparently can't handle. There is no actual port opening occurring which needs forwarding.

Whenever suggesting to people that they forward ports such as entire ranges between 10000-30000 (just to trick buggy router firmware) it should always be disclosed that this can subject the MJ user to risk of virus, spambot infestation and spyware. They should run a software firewall on all their systems behind the router.

There may also be ways to handle the problem without opening/forwarding so many ports. For example, one person reported that using the program tcpview to find the port which the softphone connects to on the router, and forwarding *only* that port worked.

Others have reported that flashing to the latest router firmware fixes the router problem. Or, flashing to an open source firmware like Tomato or DD-WRT.

Mark

amigo_boy

FYI: I created this wiki FAQ page concerning the topic of opening ports for MagicJack. »en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MagicJack/···ewall.3F

Hopefully it will reduce the confusion about this topic.

Mark

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to mgfl

amigo_boy's FAQ

[sorry for the slight OT]

I had a few minutes to read your FAQ. Nice Job!

reply to mgfl

Re: MagicJack Won't Dial Out

The problem with phones not dialing out on magicjack is because of LOW audio output of the phone. See my fix for my Panasonic cordless to get an idea on how to correct your problem. »www.tntdiscount.info/panny-mj-fix.php

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online
That's all very interesting - but it doesn't address his ORIGINAL QUESTION:
Whenever I make a call, hang up, and try to make another, the magic jack never dials out.
It's not that he CAN'T ever dial out - it's an issue with the MJ not fully 'resetting' after a call completes.

I have this issue on occasion.
All I do is hit the phone switch-hook for about 1-2 seconds, wait for dial-tone, then dial out. It works about 98% of the time - and I can live with that.

ealneri

join:2009-02-11
philippines
reply to mgfl
When I started using MJ it was ok, I was happy with it. Suddenly, one day when I dialled a number it reverts back to the dial tone. this kept on for days. I asked my friend to come over & help me out. We deleted the MJ file and reloaded it but still the same problem occurred. When I tried using my MJ on my sister's PC it worked! I complained to my friend who sold the MJ to me and she was so nice as to exchange it with the unit she was using. All I had to do was change the telephone no. which I did. I was happy with my "new" MJ which was working fine. Occasionally it would revert back to dial tone but not all the time. A month or so ago we noticed that we easily get cut-off while talking. And when we redial we cannot connect. Now, two days ago I was shocked when I tried to use my MJ it said ERROR: BROKEN STORAGE much to my dismay. I checked the website & tried all the instructions but it didn't work at all. My friend who is a computer tech also helped me out but we could not resolve the problem inspite of following all the suggestions. Can someone help me????

amigo_boy

1 edit
said by ealneri:

Suddenly, one day when I dialled a number it reverts back to the dial tone. ... A month or so ago we noticed that we easily get cut-off while talking. And when we redial we cannot connect. ... two days ago I was shocked when I tried to use my MJ it said ERROR: BROKEN STORAGE much to my dismay.
Maybe "mozerd" is convinced MJ is simple enough for a 12-year-old to use. Perhaps he can jump in and show us how simple it is by helping you fix your problem.

Oh, "mozerd?"

As for me, I've seen quite a few people report the "broken storage" error. But, I haven't seen what the solution is. It's on my list to add to the wiki FAQ. I've been watching all the reports of the problem. But, I haven't seen any solutions.

You might have to contact MJ chat support.

Mark

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
said by amigo_boy:

Perhaps he can jump in and show us how simple it is by helping you fix your problem.
To fix "broken storage" error do the following:

1. My Computer
2. Find the MJ drive
3. Right-Click on the MJ drive and Select Format ... make sure to format as Fat32 and use the Quick Format option. Note that once you have done tis step your MJ address book will be lost.
4. Now remove the MJ from the USB port or Hub
5. Reboot your computer but do NOT insert the MJ.
6. Once Windows is up and running NOW insert the MJ into the computer's USB port or properly powered USB HUB port.
7. The important part now follows:
[a] download the most recent version of the MJ software here
[b] run the software that you downloaded in [a]
8. start using the MJ

If the above does not work for you then IMO your motherboard has flaky USB circuitry and the only solution is to stay away from crappy motherboards made in China -- buy a brand name computer from a reputable source.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

2 edits
reply to mgfl
said by mgfl : Whenever I make a call, hang up, and try to make another, the magic jack never dials out. The status windows says "trying" for 1 second then goes back to dial tone. I try repeatedly and the same thing happens, trying, then dial tone. I have tried bypassing my router to no avail. Any other suggestions?
One of 4 issues may be taking place:
1. You've got a power problem ... either in the USB HUB or your computer USB circuitry. If its a computer USB circuitry then change computers. If its the USB HUB then get a good quality powered hub made by IOGEAR.
2. Your phone is not compatible with the MJ circuitry -- try a different phone
[EDIT] 3. MJ USB circuitry is faulty -- wrap the MJ body with electrical tape. [very poor QA/QC related to China]
4. MJ/YMAX are having server issues -- usually solved within 24 hours so you will have to be patient.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

RockyBB
Premium
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO
said by mozerd:

change computers
I don't remember hearing that in Mel Arthur's late night pitches!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to mozerd
Aren't all motherboards made in China?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
said by AVD:

Aren't all motherboards made in China?
Yes, quite a few computer motherboards are made in China and quite a few are made in Taiwan and Singapore. The stuff coming out of Taiwan and Singapore usually is trouble free --- whereas the stuff coming out of mainland China is -- "take a chance on me" unless its specifically associated with a brand name seller that demands stringent Quality Assembly and Quality Control disciplines in the manufacturing/assembly process.

To clarify my point -- stringent Quality Assembly and Quality Control disciplines [QA/QC] are mostly demanded by the brand name sellers like Dell, HP, Lennovo, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, ASUS, and some OEM's like Intel and ASUS.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

amigo_boy

said by mozerd:

The stuff coming out of Taiwan and Singapore usually is trouble free --- whereas the stuff coming out of mainland China is ...
You should hop on over to the other MJ forum and let everyone there know that their most-recent flare-up of inability to use MJ is due to their Chinese motherboards.

I'd love to see that.

Mark

VBMan

@link.com.eg
reply to mgfl
I tried this on 3 Computers ,one with Asus MOBO ,another with Gigabyte and on Laptop Acer travelmate still not working ,also i can't format it Fat32 Due to cluster size ,i formated it Fat,Any help?

SPraus

@comcast.net
reply to mgfl
How to fix* (Grantee)
1 Close MagicJack (if you don't know how to go to A)
2 Update MagicJack (if you don't know how to go to B)
3 Restart MagicJack (if you don't know how to go to C)

A: Closing the MagicJack program.
Right click on the taskbar (the bar at bottom of screen with the word "Start" on it)
Click "Task Manager" (if you do not see it try clicking somewhere else on the taskbar)
Click "Applications" tab
Right click the MagicJack program
Click "Go To Process" this will bring you to the "Processes" tab and should select "MagicJack.exe"
Click the End Process button
Done!

B: Updating MagicJack.
Open your internet browser
Go to »upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe
A dialog will appear click "Run"
After the program is downloaded a dialog will appear saying that this is a potential security risk, Click run. (This is not a virus or hack this IS the MagicJack upgrade program I promise)
A box will appear stating that MagicJack is being updated
The update is finished either when MagicJack starts running, or the box stating that it is being updated disappears.
Done!!!

C: Starting MagicJack
Click "Start" on the taskbar
Click "My Computer" (on XP) or "Computer" (on Vista)
Double click the first MagicJack drive in your list (there should be 2) (first drive being A as opposed to D and can be any letter depending on your computer's configuration)
Done!!!

Hope this helps it took me about 45 minuets to write!
Thanks,
SPraus