join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 edit

lordpuffer

Premium Member

[Need Info] Question About Gmail

I use Firefox 3....I've been getting some emails in my Inbox that have a question mark inside a diamond-shaped figure followed by a letter or a number after the subject. Does anyone know what that means? I have been afraid to open them. Here is an example of 3 of them....Thanks.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf

Premium Member

Are you using Gmail Labs?
quote:
About Labs

Gmail Labs allows you to try out experimental new features in Gmail and send feedback to us so we can improve them. If you're going to brave the Labs world, it's important to keep the following things in mind about these features:

* They may break at any time.
* Similarly, they may disappear temporarily or permanently.
* They may work so well that they graduate and become regular features.

So, with that in mind, If you encounter any problems while you have a Labs feature enabled, here are some things you can do:

* Go to »mail.google.com/mail/?labs=0 to temporarily disable Labs and get your account back to normal.
* If you'd like to help pinpoint the problem, you can disable each feature until the problem goes away; then, report what happened.
* Give us feedback in the Labs Google Group (»groups.google.com/group/ ··· ail-labs). You can use this group as a place to report bugs, tell us what you like and dislike about the feature, and share special ways in which you're using it.

We'll post updates about new Labs features to the Gmail blog, so stay tuned.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

No...I'm not using Gmail Labs

ReaperOS2
Send Me Dvd's
Premium Member
join:2001-02-27
Bangor, ME

1 recommendation

ReaperOS2 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
I believe the question mark is displayed for characters not recognized. I see them on Japanese websites occasionally.

They could be spam messages attempting to circumvent the spam filters. If you do not recognize the senders, I would mark them as spam and delete them.

Just my $0.02.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks....Makes sense....They aren't that important where I have to open them....I was more interested for the future, in case it happens with an important email....I'll just delete these.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
I get those on dslr too. unknown character probably.

Maccawolf
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Hillsdale, NJ

Maccawolf to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
I've noticed it quite a bit in place of an apostrophe.