Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA

Best way to scan large numbers of photos

My mother asked me the other day if there was anything of my grandmother's that I would want. (She is 95 years old and in failing health.) I remarked that the only thing I could think of was photographs. When my mother mentioned that some photos were going to go to my cousins, I proposed that she give them all to me so I could scan them in, make DVDs for everyone, and then we could redistribute the originals as needed. This way, everyone gets a digital copy of the photos even if they don't get a physical copy. Also, I could embed information about who the people in the photos are.

Now, my question is: What would be the best way to scan a large number of photographs. I have no clue how many there are (my parents have yet to give me a number), but there might be quite a lot. Also, some might be older and in need of post processing.

Is there any way to speed something like this up (without sacrificing quality) or is this something that will need to be done slowly. (Scan in Photo #1, edit it, scan in photo #2, ....)
--
-Jason Levine
Support a children's charity. Buy a calendar and/or a photo book. Shooting For A Cause

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

»www.scancafe.com

MrsFixitSC
IvVe Got A License To Chill
Premium
join:2001-12-09
Moncks Corner, SC
reply to Jason Levine

Jason,
I'm in the process of doing the same for our pictures...and it IS a tedious process..

If you decide to do them yourself, check the abilities of the scanner you're using...I scanned about 20-30 individual pictures, and then found out that the scanner software has the ability to scan multiple shots, but save them as individual files, which has been a big help...my plan is to scan them, and then offer the hard copies to those that they might "apply" to-for example, I have an entire folder going of Mark's brothers and their families...which I will give them once I get them all scanned. As for "post processing", I'm waiting on that until they're ALL done...

Good Luck!
--
~~~RCL Liberty of the Seas-Nov 2008~~~

~~~A bad day of vacation, still beats a good day at work~~~

~^~^~Proud Parrothead~^~^~

ks_av8r
Premium
join:2003-09-17
Newton, KS
reply to Jason Levine

I became the "keeper" of some old negatives of my spouse's family. I made a "light box" and lit the negatives from behind and shot them with a digital camera on a Macro setting. Shoot, slide a new negative in, shoot, etc. It is about the fastest way I know of. I am getting results that far exceeded my expectations. I feel a copy stand with dual lighting could be set up for prints as well. If the prints are all the same size, it should go pretty quick. Depending on your hardware, you may be pleasantly surprised with the results.

On the negatives, I obviously have to do some post processing, but I probably would have still done some if scanned.

It may be worth trying a sample. Before the digital and scanner days, I copied old photographs for our local historical society as the original prints were starting to fade and deteriorate. I gave them a negative and a proof print. They gave me a lifetime membership.

Let us know how you wind up eating this elephant.

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
reply to Jason Levine

Send it out to be scanned. The time it takes to scan 1000+ photos is mind boggling

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

4 edits

said by Exit:

Send it out to be scanned. The time it takes to scan 1000+ photos is mind boggling
As is the cost of others doing it often....

I was glad that I was working in late 70's to early 90'sTV biz engineering and towards the end could transfer my family's 1920's to 1960's old 16mm home movies to video in my and station equipment spare time (since copied to DVD), using station equipment(when they were neaering ditching film chain for totally tape and sat feeds, why the equipment pretty free not much film aired prohgraming anymore)... to pay some one would have been thousands of dollars.
12+ hours, and properly done frame rate compensated matched both 16 and even one reel of 8 fps from the 1920's silent to 30 fps video... in normal not sped up time.

Also had the equipment to totally resplice much of the early film (that splices had dried out/broken on then near 80 year old film)... which again would have had someone else doing it to (PROPERLY), many thousands of $$. And some of that film just made the physical pressure of doing it on one pass before breaking apart more.

--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

Jason Levine
Premium
USA
reply to Jason Levine

Thanks. I might go to see my parents and grandmother next weekend. When I do, I can look through the photos to see how many there are and what condition they are in. I spoke with my father on the phone and he doesn't seem to think that there are that many. Maybe 100 tops. If it's only 100, it might be easy enough to scan them one at a time. Any more than that and I'll keep the ScanCafe site in mind.

ff1324
Everybody Goes Home
Premium
join:2002-08-24
On Four Day

1 recommendation

reply to Jason Levine

I'm scanning 130 photos right now for a 25th anniversary video for some friends. I use an Epson Perfection 3200 Photo scanner via FireWire and Lasersoft's Silverfast SE (came with the scanner..awesome software). I can place multiple photos on the scanner and scan portions with color correction. I usually get 3-6 photos on the scanner at a time.

The 3200 came with adapters for 35mm negatives, medium format negatives (I think), and slide holders. It also has a back light for illuminating the slides. The Silverfast software has profiles of several different kinds of film for easy correction of film types.

I've had it I think 5 or 6 years. Best thing I ever bought for scanning photos.
--
Remember the 2008 firefighters and police LODD's in St. Louis:
PO Ballman, Sgt. Biggs, FF Hummert, Sgt. King, FF Riggins... all murdered...RIP brothers.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Yeah, the software that auto separates multiple image scans into individual files makes things go much faster.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC
reply to Jason Levine

Yep I use an Epson Perfection flatbed scanner with the negative adapters and such. I like the negative adapters for the fact that it can do 3 at once, flip the tray, and it does the next 3.

I'm horrible too when I scan. The gloves are on, the compressed air in hand, all after cleaning the glass thoroughly etc... I'm picky as hell. It becomes a day long event when I do batch scanning.

Jason Levine
Premium
USA
reply to Jason Levine

This past weekend I went to my parents' house and got a good look at the photos. I've decided to prioritize them. There are some, like my »Grandparents Wedding Photo , that should be scanned first. There are some that I want to scan, but aren't a huge priority. And there are some that fall in the middle. I took the "top 6" photos to scan now and then I can work out a system for scanning the others.

In all, there appear to be around 300 photos. The Silverfast SE software sounds good, but it doesn't look like it works with my scanner. I don't think I'd be able to afford a new scanner that does support it (cost: about $140) unless my uncle, 3 cousins, parents and sister chip in. Maybe that could be my "fee" for scanning the photos and distributing DVDs. Each of them contribute $25 and I'll raise enough for a new scanner with the software to scan multiple images at once. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
--
-Jason Levine
Support a children's charity. Buy a calendar and/or a photo book. Shooting For A Cause

Warpig1

join:2009-02-11

I do recommend the SilverFast software, if quality is a criterion.
Have you tried to lookup your scanner in their list of supported scanners ?
»www.silverfast.com/product/en.html

The new SilverFast Archive Suite could be interesting for scanning greater lots.
Probably not reasonable for your 300 photos, but for anyone going to scan 1000+.
»www.silverfast.com/show/silverfa···/en.html

Jason Levine
Premium
USA

I did look up both my scanner at home and my one at work. Neither appeared on their list.

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to Jason Levine

VueScan is great as well. That's what I've been using for a while
»www.hamrick.com/

jayco437
Premium
join:2001-08-11
Lincoln, NE
reply to Jason Levine

I'll throw another thumbs up in there for Vuescan. Bought the pro version about 2 years ago. Love using it and he releases updates all the time (though not always for any one particular scanner). Very active developer.

Warpig1

join:2009-02-11

quote:
and he releases updates all the time (though not always for any one particular scanner). Very active developer.
Hmm, is this a good thing ? I don't think so.
Bugfixes several times a month, but no automatic self-update ability.

Update controversy at wikipedia:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuescan#Up···troversy

jayco437
Premium
join:2001-08-11
Lincoln, NE

said by Warpig1:

Hmm, is this a good thing ? I don't think so.
That's what we call an opinion where I come from. And we generally form them ourselves.

said by Warpig1:

Bugfixes several times a month, but no automatic self-update ability.
From the Wiki page you linked:

The author of VueScan, Ed Hamrick, has responded "It would take half a page of text to describe the details of many specific changes. … [updates are] usually in response to customer bug reports. … Most changes … are quite clear - like 'Added support for the Epson V500'. Actual users of VueScan are grateful for the improvements and bug fixes.
As an actual Vuescan paid user, I am grateful for the improvements and bug fixes, even if they don't affect my scanner. I don't really care for, nor need, a half page document telling me what "Fixed problem with LiDE 600F with infrared cleaning" means, because I already know. Someone with an LiDE 600F had problems with infrared cleaning and sent in a bug report and he fixed it.

The fact that you can even insinuate that frequent minor updates to a software application is a bad thing is ridiculous. Considering, at least, that those updates don't break existing functionality. In the 2 years I've owned Vuescan I've rarely missed an update. I've yet to have issues.

And while having Sparkle updates would be great, it's *really* not an issue to check iusethis, macupdate, or versiontracker once a month, or even sign up for automatic updates on some of those sites.

Just a bunch of people whining on MacUpdate in a thread that isn't even there anymore (no google cache, no archive.org even).