uniqs
share rss forum feed

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

co-sign for an iPhone?

I want to get an iPhone with ATT but just recently graduating high school and have no credit at all but working full time, Do you think I can let my mom co-sign and I pay and then later on I can take her off of the account and it can only be me? Also, I am thinking of getting it at best buy or should I go to the ATT store?

Thanks
--
OM NOM NOM

tryitman

@comcast.net
Try and get it your self, it never hurts.....

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX
$500 deposit is too much lol. I wont mind if they dont take it out but if they do my bank is gona take a plunge.

UrPhone

@91.194.85.x
reply to Duramax08
said by Duramax08:

I want to get an iPhone with ATT but just recently graduating high school and have no credit at all but working full time, Do you think I can let my mom co-sign and I pay and then later on I can take her off of the account and it can only be me?
Since you're asking people what they think, I'll tell you:

One of the most important aspects of being an adult is being able to differentiate between "wants" and "needs." Let's be honest here: an iPhone is going to fall into that first category.

Buying a premium-priced cell phone when you're just out of high school and just getting started financially is not a wise move. If you really want to impress your mom, tell her you thought about getting an iPhone, then realized that, for what you're getting, the iPhone is not one of the better deals out there. Not to say that you shouldn't have a phone at all, just that because your funds are limited, you need to shop around and make sure you're getting the most for your money. The iPhone, for all the hype surrounding it, is not really worth it and there are many other phones that allow you to do what it does, but for much less money.

Seriously, if you want to have money when you get older, you have to start off by not pissing it away on high-priced stuff you don't need. I know how that sounds, but it's the straight dope.

no_one

@PHNX.QWEST.NET
reply to Duramax08
Taking out the cost of the IPHONE. Do you need a cell phone. Is it just for fun or real needs. A call back for jobs. Work can reach you when needed. So you get the extra pay as can answer the phone 24/7. Or is it just to call dates.
The deposit if you pay on time all the time will be refunded. I know verizon did it in a year. Been there done that. Paid a little interest even. Had best coverage here. Ate it for a year and payed on time. Now no down just pay.
The monthly plan for a iphone could be a luxury. Do you really need all the extras.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Duramax08
Get a cheap phone you can afford instead of overpriced bling.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
said by CylonRed:

Get a cheap phone you can afford instead of overpriced bling.
I have to agree with this. If AT&T wants a $500 deposit and you say you can't afford it, how can you afford the monthly fee? (You do know in addition to the voice plan a $30/month data plan is required right?)

If you want one bad enough, figure out how much it will cost, including the $500 deposit, and save up for it. If you can afford a $100/month cell phone bill, it should only take you 6 months or so.

USPS Fedex UPS DHL

join:2008-12-18
Poteet, TX
reply to Duramax08
Go to the AT&T store, and yeah you can remove your mom from the account after the phone is paid for.

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK
reply to Duramax08
Paying for it in full is definitely the way to go. I speak from experience in the debt matter. I'm just happy that I figured it out before it was too late. You should enter into debt only in certain conditions, and a phone is not one of them.

Save as much money as you can each month (of course putting some aside for the unexpected in life) and pay for it when you get enough. When you can say that you own something outright, it is the greatest feeling you'll ever have.

That being said, they will probably let your mom co-sign, but you would have to ask. Perhaps you can get them to wave the $500 deposit if you pay one month of service up front and disable any and all services that can be billed to your phone (900 numbers, international long distance, tethering, etc.).

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Duramax08
said by Duramax08:

I want to get an iPhone with ATT but just recently graduating high school and have no credit at all but working full time, Do you think I can let my mom co-sign and I pay and then later on I can take her off of the account and it can only be me?
Is your mom *willing* to co-sign for you?[i cant count how many times ive seen this scenario play out on afternoon court shows]
-
As for where you buy it, it doesn't really matter as apple is one of those "minimum selling price" companies[notice where iphones and ipods are nearly the same price no matter where you go? this is why]
-
used iphone off ebay i don't advise because if its last user stiffed A T & T, you'll need to clear that up before they'll activate it and allow it on their network!
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Duramax08

LOL WUT?

Lets get some stuff straighten out....

1.I got a good paying job. Plenty of money in the bank (Yes i know not to so splurg on stuff that I cant afford).

2.I have a work phone but would like my own personal phone. Would like an iphone to buy songs on itunes and go on the internet since its 3G and all I have is dial up at my house (its the only thing available via land line).

3.My mom is willing to co-sign. And yes I pay my bills (she co-signed for my satellite tv and credit card which was helping me to get my credit up. No I am not in debt) so we wont have any problems or any lay off any time soon (since we are government contractors and work is booming)

My question was if I my mom can co-sign lol, Not to be slammed by all this other stuff....

Im just gona go to the store and figure it out myself. Thanks for the input.
--
OM NOM NOM

Mickeyme3
You might be right, but, I don't care
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Carson City, NV

2 edits
reply to Duramax08

Re: co-sign for an iPhone?

Your mother would be crazy to risk her credit (fico) scores so you can have a SHOW-OFF phone.
But, then again thats why we're in the mess we are in.

If she does agree to this just go to the nearest store it will cost about the same no matter where you go.

You'd be better off buying a prepaid phone and just add minutes as you need them and you don't need credit to get one.
T-mobile has good plans and Tracfone, etc, you can even get an AT&T one.
»www.consumersearch.com/prepaid-wireless
This way you can pay your own cost without ever sticking Mom with a 2 year service contract that you may not be able to pay if you lose your job.
Are you 100% sure you will be working in 6 months from now, a year from now? You can't be nowadays.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX
Wow. Can A mod lock this thread please? To many trolls. Thanks.

Mickeyme3
Premium
Carson City, NV

1 edit
reply to Duramax08
Trolls or people that know what real reality is?

AdamB

join:2001-01-07
Columbus, OH
reply to Duramax08
said by Duramax08:

Wow. Can A mod lock this thread please? To many trolls. Thanks.
I agree, there is too much of this kind of stuff on this site anymore; too many self righteous people.

How long have you had your credit card? If you give it a little time to build up your history then you should be able to get it deposit free. Or if your mom is willing to co-sign, then you will be able to remove her once you establish your credit.

I was in the same place when I got my cell phone when I was 18. I had a checking account with debit card, a job and no debt so I figured my 'credit' was fine. That's when I found out that you need to have some sort of revolving credit to have good credit. I did pay the deposit which sucked, but I had enough money to afford it and I got it back a year later with interest, so not too bad, kind of like a savings account.
--
Desktop
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 | 8GB RAM | 150 GB Raptor | ATI HD 4850 | Vista x64

Carl
Premium
join:2004-07-21
Opelousas, LA

1 recommendation

reply to Duramax08
They're not going to 'co-sign,' AT&T doesn't do that.

Your mom can get the phone in her name, and then after you build some credit up, you can do a 'Transfer of Liability' to switch the account to your name. AT&T will run your credit again, and if a deposit is needed, they'll tell you. After you do the transfer, the account will be totally in your name, and your mother's name will be totally off of it.

Or, you can build your credit and then try your luck again.

-CRS-
--
MySpace
Facebook: iCarl@att.net

Mickeyme3
Premium
Carson City, NV
reply to AdamB
said by AdamB:

How long have you had your credit card?
He doesn't have a credit card!
Please read his post carefully before commenting.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to Duramax08
Put it under her account. You can still make the payments. After you build some credit history you can switch over with a $30 fee. It will also renew your contract for 18 months i believe.

This is what i did. I put it under my moms name when i was a junior in high school. After i got my credit card and built some history i switched the account to under my name. My mom never made a single payment.

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA
reply to Mickeyme3
said by Mickeyme3:

said by AdamB:

Um hey Mickeyme... Reread it....

said by Duramax08:

Lets get some stuff straighten out....

3.My mom is willing to co-sign. And yes I pay my bills (she co-signed for my satellite tv and credit card
Don't tell others to reread what you didnt read please.

Mickeyme3
Premium
Carson City, NV
He doesn't have a credit card so to speak, it actual belongs to his mother.
She has to pay for any and all bills on that account.

ixNay
Premium
join:2002-04-12
USA
reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

Put it under her account. You can still make the payments. After you build some credit history you can switch over with a $30 fee. It will also renew your contract for 18 months i believe.

This is what i did. I put it under my moms name when i was a junior in high school. After i got my credit card and built some history i switched the account to under my name. My mom never made a single payment.
Agreed with Alcohol!!
--
If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.

TigerLord
UEE Citizen
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Duramax08
People ask simple questions and 10 people will regurgitate morale and life lessons.

The answer to your question is yes you can have your mom co-sign. As long as you pay the bills, once the phone is either paid off you after you've proven you're reliable ATT will remove your mom from the account.

Getting a Visa or MC with very low credit limit, but using it then paying it back in full each month will help you increase your credit and soon you won't need co-signers.

Good luck,

Mickeyme3
Premium
Carson City, NV
reply to Duramax08
You say your mother got you a credit card under her account, if so you don't need her to cosign anything, use the credit card you have.
Pay off the $500 deposit in installments.
You know you're not out $500 they just hold it while you use their service, complete the contract and get your money back.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
San Antonio, TX
reply to Mickeyme3
yes i do have a credit card. She co signed so right now her name and my name is on the account but after 6 months she can leave the account to me. What I am doing is building my credit by buying something small each month (like a video game) and pay it off the next month. Thanks to the people that said that I can let her start the account and I pay the bills then later on I can transfer with a small fee and a renewed contract.

I am not some kid that is going to go crazy with my money, All I want is an iPhone for various uses.

Mickeyme3
Premium
Carson City, NV
reply to Duramax08
Enjoy it!

AdamB

join:2001-01-07
Columbus, OH
reply to Mickeyme3
said by Mickeyme3:

said by AdamB:

Why don't you read the post carefully before commenting. She co-signed for a credit card. It is still his credit card, but she accepts responsibility if he defaults on the payments.
--
Desktop
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 | 8GB RAM | 150 GB Raptor | ATI HD 4850 | Vista x64

Mickeyme3
Premium
Carson City, NV
Where in the original post did he say that?
It wasn't until later on he did.
And yes while it is under her name he can use it anyway he wants and that applys to opening an account with it.

ChiTang
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA
kudos:1
reply to Duramax08
said by Duramax08:

yes i do have a credit card. She co signed so right now her name and my name is on the account but after 6 months she can leave the account to me.
I don't think you can co-sign a CC account, more like a joint account that she know she will be withdrawing in six months. By that time, when she withdraws, they will issue you a new account.
--
I used to be indecisive, now I am not sure.

plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to Duramax08
doesn't at&t require a deposit OR a credit card? i think as long as you have a card they can charge if you don't pay you should be fine?

yock
TFTC
Premium
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH
kudos:3
reply to Duramax08
You shouldn't be considering co-signership for a phone. This is a poor financial decision.