spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aragorn18

join:2009-01-16
Redmond, WA

[Speed] What exactly are the Seattle tiers?

So, I checked on Comcast's website yesterday and they had four tiers of high speed internet service listed: 15, 16, 30 and 50 mbit down.

But, today, when I went to the Comcast location in Redmond the rep told me that wasn't correct. They said they had 12, 16, 22 and 50. The brochure she gave me said the same thing.

So, who is right? Does anyone have the 15 or 30 tiers that the website claims exists? If so, what are you paying for it?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
said by aragorn18:

They said they had 12, 16, 22 and 50. The brochure she gave me said the same thing.
So, who is right?
I believe the above is correct. I've never heard of a *15* tier, And I haven't seen anything anywhere about a future *30* tier.

aragorn18

Redmond, WA
Just to prove I'm not crazy, here are links to screenshots of what I see when I type in my address on Comcast's page and see their High-Speed Internet offerings.
»www.aaronrosenfeld.com/comcast1.jpg
»www.aaronrosenfeld.com/comcast2.jpg

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

3 edits
Yep. That stuff they publish there is very deceiving because they are quoting the "up to" speeds when their Powerboost feature kicks in and not the actual provisioned/sustained speed one is subscribed to...

That Performance 15 speed is really 8 with Powerboost, and Blast 20 is really 16 with Powerboost. Ultra is 22 up to 30 when Powerboost kicks in.

aragorn18

Redmond, WA
said by EG:

Yep. That stuff they publish there is very deceiving because they are quoting the "up to" speeds when their Powerboost feature kicks in and not the actual provisioned/sustained speed one is subscribed to...

That 15 speed is really 8 with Powerboost
Ok, that might be the source of my confusion. But, I find it odd that they list a 16mbps Blast tier and don't bump that any for PowerBoost.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

2 edits
said by aragorn18:

But, I find it odd that they list a 16mbps Blast tier and don't bump that any for PowerBoost.
Yeah, it's all weird, but in your second link it does say Blast up to 20 with Powerboost.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aragorn18
also in the seattle area.
The 15 pack is really 12/2 + powerboost but testing shows a fairly constant 14/15 MOST of the time, occasionally down near 12.
the 16 is really closer to " up to 20" sold in many markets., and I'm guessing the 30 is 22 plus powerboost.

I frequently get boosts above 30 for the first 100-200 Mb sometime longer, but it varies as to specific area (most of the systems I've seen in redmond are very "clean", and give near max spec MOST of the time)
Cost depends if you are on a promo, CC's website shows the regular price

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

4 edits
said by tshirt:

and I'm guessing the 30 is 22 plus powerboost.
Shirt. Did you read my post ?..

said by tshirt:

also in the seattle area.
The 15 pack is really 12/2 + powerboost
It may be that now. And that's in Seattle.

aragorn18

Redmond, WA
reply to aragorn18
Well, I guess that answers that question. Thanks for your help.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to EG
said by EG :

Shirt. Did you read my post ?..

Always, EG.
But not until after I posted. (left the building for a few in mid-post, should have refreshed before posting, I guess)

The local offerings have changed several times since the D3 rollout, my guess is once everyone is covered and working well, the 16 will disappear and only 15, 20 or 30, and 50 packages will be offered (there maybe some unadvertised, lower speed retention package) it was quite confusing the day it showed 6,8,12,15,16,20,30 and 50, with overlapping price points ) too many choices.

helter

join:2007-09-11
Silverdale, WA
reply to aragorn18
30 is wrong its 22, must be a misprint.

22 and 50 are docsis 3.0 tiers possibly where the 30 typo came from.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by helter:

22 and 50 are docsis 3.0 tiers possibly where the 30 typo came from.
Not wrong, just the way marketing is spinning it.
My comcast.COM/shop page currently shows
"Up to" 15 =actually 12/2 plus boost
16/2 -this is the oddball, boost not mentioned
"Up to" 20 = really 16 plus boost
"Up to" 30/ultra= really 22 plus boost
"Up to" 50= no boost mentioned, maybe flat rate?
They may be creating a PR problem by advertising the peak, rather then the base speeds, but I'm guessing this is to match the fios and qwest ads/speeds.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

4 edits
reply to helter
said by helter:

helter See Profile Did you read my post ?

It's not a "misprint". It's deceptive.

They are saying that it is "up to" 30 with Powerboost..

[Edit]

Didn't see your post tshirt See Profile

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by EG:

Didn't see your post tshirt See Profile
say? WHAT!?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
said by tshirt:

say? WHAT!?
LOLLL !! Spit happens bud !

None of us walk on water !

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to aragorn18
Wow, that's a lot of tiers! We only have two tiers, 6000/1000 and 8000/2000, both include PowerBoost of course. Oh, and no Blast! here either.

crf250r

@comcast.net
reply to aragorn18
no blast dang bummer man... Sacramento has it...

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1

1 edit
said by crf250r :

no blast dang bummer man... Sacramento has it...
Cool! Yeah, up here in Mendocino County we're still without it. In fact, I'm not sure if any of the North Bay or Bay Area networks have it either.

edactic

join:2005-08-21
Indianapolis, IN
reply to aragorn18
In my experience, even with "powerboost" on top 6 mbps or 12 mbps vs whatever tier you buy, if Comcast's routing / packet latency from your modem through their network is not optimized, the performance you perceive with many of your most common activities (e.g., clicking around web sites, VOIP, gaming if any) will still be mediocre/sluggish. VOIP won't work well. So I find Comcast's ads/claims to be deceptive.

For example: At my home, we have Comcast's top tier available here, also Powerboost. Expected: Approximately 12 mbps down / 2 mbps up. But we've had serious latency problems too. Even though speedtest performs as expected, latency has caused usual browsing to be sluggish, and VOIP to be unusable. Go to a cafe a mile from home with AT&T 6mbps / 768K DSL, but with only a 30ms packet latency rather than Comcast's 90-120ms, and the AT&T service was much snappier and more pleasing to use, and VOIP (Skype) worked great.

I have considered the potential value of having the consumer side of the industry define a more comprehensive measure that one might call a "quality of service" metric (or metrics)... something that provides an at-a-glance measure of the quality of what the consumer gets. With a professional athlete, important factors are: Speed, quickness, strength. Translated into this domain: Bandwidth, responsiveness/latency, reliability.