Kaspersky Database warning? W7

Click for full size
Click for full size
Windows 7 Beta
Kaspersky A-V 8.0

The Windows 7 Action Center keeps giving me a warning
"Update KAV Important"

I run the update and the last event always says "Databases are up to date."

But then I get the warning again in Action Center and sometimes a small pop up from KAV saying that the databases were updated today but the newest update avail is "unknown"

Currently I can't get KAV window to open. Mouseover the KAV icon in systray is stuck on "update is running"
--
YOU can help reduce poverty, sustainably.
»www.kiva.org/lender/kenandart

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone

I got KAV to open but any path to Updating appears to do it, then to issue another warning.

In Control Panel I tried to uninstall KAV, but I get an error that Windows Installer is not working.

I'm going to try to install KAV over itself.
--

NanDog
The Pup Was Female, I'M Not
Premium
join:2003-12-28

Might want to try the Kaspersky uninstall tool. It can be found on this page: »support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463

Good luck!
--
See ya across the Rainbow Bridge, my good and faithful friend!

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle

Thanks. Anyone know if there is a version of this removal kit for KAV 8.0 (Win 7)?

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

I haven't had a look to see if the removal tool has been updated as yet but I believe they are in beta testing for the WKS version which they are working with Windows 7 as well. Don't think the home user version is near to testing as yet. The WKS version is just the workstation version which has a little extra for remote admin purposes.

Maybe ask about the tool in the forum for WKS

»forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=100

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle
Reviews:
·Shoreham Telephone
reply to koam

This Windows Installer issue was apparently what was causing Kaspersky to be unable to proceed without constant warnings:

»[Windows 7] Windows Installer has stopped working

I did fix number one in the first post of this thread.
--

a4nic8er
Tempus Fugit, Carpe Cerevisi

join:2001-03-09
New Zealand

2 edits
reply to koam

Being a beta, Kaspersky8 does not always update. The definitions etc. are not available as frequently as with a released product, there are never any updates on weekends or holidays, sometimes a week or more may pass by before an update is actually available. Windows 7 Action Center and KAV8beta both seem to complain if it is more than 24 hours since the last update was implemented. It just updated now and all is quiet again.

It's a beta AV on a beta OS, no need to fret.

*edit*
SpybotS&D breaks Kaspersky8.0(beta) and prevents it from updating.

Interestingly, you get a warning when trying to install Kaspersky8 that SpybotS&D is incompatible (if SpybotS&D is already installed on the system) but not if you install SpybotS&D after Kaspersky8.

There are forums to discuss all this at kaspersky labs
--
If laughter can be contagious, why do we never hear of any mirth epidemics?

koam
Pink Pecker
Premium
East Puddle

thanks. read the last post for resolution.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to a4nic8er

said by a4nic8er:

Interestingly, you get a warning when trying to install Kaspersky8 that SpybotS&D is incompatible (if SpybotS&D is already installed on the system) but not if you install SpybotS&D after Kaspersky8.
I believe it is so there are less support tickets created for what can be called third party conflicts.

Once Kaspersky is installed you can try any other software you like. If something is installed and causes a conflict, it will give the team something specific to look at on their test beds.

A request of "I installed KIS/KAV and it broke" doesn't help anyone. The way they have it set up is to make the user base understand there is software conflicts with some types of security software that they may not be aware of.

Pretty basic troubleshooting really.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

HydroponiK
nom nom nom
Premium
join:2001-08-03
New Jersey
reply to koam

KAV seemed really buggy when I tired it, had to switch back to AVG.
--

Ain't that a bitch.