spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

septcasey

join:2006-09-07
United State

ATT still billing me for cancelled service?

On my bank statement today I saw where ATT had charged me @22.95 for dial up internet service. I cancelled this back in November shortly after I ordered the service. After an hour of redirecting on the phone I finally got to the right person and they cancelled the service for me and confirmed it. I was billed once for the starting of the service ofcourse but did not expect to be billed again after I had cancelled service.

Can someone tell me why this is happening?

mikes60
My Paradise
Premium
join:2001-07-31
Boynton Beach, FL

2 edits

As I've written many times before- This is a perfect example of why you should never allow any company access to your bank accounts.

Pay by your bank's electronic billpay, or a credit card.

A phone bill is probably not a huge amount of money, and it may be easy to get this resolved. But it could be a mortgage payment or some other much larger bill that will be much more difficult to straighten out.

As to why it happened- how about "they made an error". Do you really expect a definitive answer?
--
No good deed goes unpunished.

septcasey

United State

No I want to know if I should be expecting ATT to charge me for a service I cancelled 3 months ago.

Now I have learned that when you cancel a dial up account with ATT it takes 60 days for the e-mail to cancel but the service and fees stop. During this time you still have access to the e-mail. Now I don't think they would continue to charge me for this or am I missing something?

So far I have been charged $22.95 for the starting of the service ofcourse and again on 12/26/08 for $22.95. Is this normal?

septcasey

United State
reply to mikes60

said by mikes60:

As I've written many times before- This is a perfect example of why you should never allow any company access to your bank accounts.

A phone bill is probably not a huge amount of money, and it may be easy to get this resolved. But it could be a mortgage payment or some other much larger bill that will be much more difficult to straighten out.

As to why it happened- how about "they made an error". Do you really expect a definitive answer?
I am paying for this with my credit card. I made the order over the phone using my credit card. I'm not getting a bill I'm just still being charged according to my bank statement.

mikes60
My Paradise
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

said by septcasey:

said by mikes60:

I am paying for this with my credit card. I made the order over the phone using my credit card. I'm not getting a bill I'm just still being charged according to my bank statement.
You've lost me completely. If you paid with your credit card how is the charge appearing on your bank statement.

When you figure all this out, maybe someone else can help. I'm out of here on this one.
--

septcasey

United State

I meant I made the order using my debit bank card. I guess thats why it shows up on my bank statement.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to mikes60

said by mikes60:

If you paid with your credit card how is the charge appearing on your bank statement.
There are some banks that issue credit cards and include card activity in account statements

septcasey

United State

I still don't understand why I am still being charged if I called and cancelled service. Now I cancelled service within just a few days of ordering it. When I called to cancel service the entire procedure was done it seems. The rep asked for my answer to my security question after my account was brought up and after I gave the answer he said the service had been cancelled.

Now I remember when I did call them to cancel I was redirected countless times before getting to the right department. If I need to call ATT about this, which number should I call without needing to be redirected all day?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by septcasey:

I still don't understand why I am still being charged if I called and cancelled service.
at&t makes billing mistakes
Have you asked at&t about having your money refunded?
Have you talked to your banker about refusing any future charges for that service?

septcasey

United State

I'll call ATT this weekend and ask about it. What I don't understand is why I am still being billed. If my service is cancelled then why am I sitll being billed? Obviously somewhere in their data base it is showing I still have this service.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

The person who told you they cancelled the sevice in November didn't really know how to cancel the service

septcasey

United State

Ok here is another issue. After I cancelled service I discarded the paper that had my password on it. I remember my security question and username still. When I go to ATT and try to login it lets me recover my password if I supply the answer to 2 security question. I was only asked to supply an answer for 1 security question when I signed up for it. The question for the one I chose shows but it also ask for the last name of my child hood best friend which I NEVER was asked to give nor was told I had to answer 2 security questions in this event. So I can't even log into my account on their website.

Why is it asking for 2 security questions? It still recognizes my username. Is there a certain amount of time before billing stops or what?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

I can't answer that question or address the issue

septcasey

United State

Well can someone atleast give me the ATT phone number for this situation because last timed I called ATT I was redirected for an hour.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by septcasey:

Well can someone atleast give me the ATT phone number for this situation because last timed I called ATT I was redirected for an hour.
I am not sure what kind of forum you think this is, but you have the same access to AT&T billing and technical support as every other poster here. Even if an AT&T employee responded to your post unofficially (s)he would likely not be permitted by AT&T to provide you with a non-published number to call.

Here is the telephone contact information from the AT&T dial-up support site:

»support.att.net/bellsouth/asp/si···ype=Dial

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
»portscan.dcs-net.net
»nature-pics.com

mikes60
My Paradise
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to septcasey

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
--

septcasey

United State
reply to NetFixer

I'm sorry I didn't mean to ask for information that can't be supplied.

Some good news however is I remember when I set this service up I went to the SBC yahoo website to setup my member account for this service. I was able to see my online billing statement and it did show the 2 times where I was billed.

I think I can understand how my service hasn't been cancelled yet despite the fact I did call ATT to cancel it. It seems like the SBC Yahoo member account thing I setup is still active. When I called ATT they pulled up the account I created over the phone BUT the account I made on SBC Yahoo ATT website feels like a different account or something to that nature because if I called ATT to cancel my dial up service wouldn't everything on the SBC Yahoo website account I created be deleted as well?

septcasey

United State

My concern is more really with the SBC Yahoo member account for my dial up service I made. If I cancel my dial up service over the phone what becomes of my SBC Yahoo member account? Is it affected by service cancellation because my only guess as to why I was still billed was because still have access to this.

klsmith259

join:2009-01-13
Savannah, GA

I'm not sure why you keep posting speculation as to why you are still being billed? Is it really that hard to call AT&T and ask them all of these questions and solve your problem?

Just my thoughts... you should call AT&T and have them fix the the billing issue.

septcasey

United State

I was more interested on getting feedback from people who have had similar problems like this before and how they were able tog et ti fixed because I was hoping the first time they would have cancelled it. I'll call them and hopefully get it fixed this time.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to septcasey

The "SBC Yahoo! DSL Service" went away in 2006 when the SBC purchase of AT&T was finalized. After SBC took over AT&T, CEO Ed Whitacre made a name change; from SBC to AT&T. At that time, SBC Internet Services (SBCIS) became AT&T Internet Services (ATTIS), and SBC Yahoo! DSL Service became at&t Yahoo! HSI.

I think it has only been in the last year that AT&T Southeast has started offering at&t Yahoo! HSI accounts.

I've never cancelled the service, so I don't know what happens after cancellation. I did cancel an SBC Yahoo! DSL Service sub account (well before SBC bought AT&T). I had merged a free Yahoo! account with that SBC sub account. For nearly two years after the account cancellation, I'd still see the SBC Yahoo! logo on the free Yahoo! web mail account which should have been separated from the SBC service. Only after the AT&T acquisition did that account finally start showing a Yahoo! only logo on the sign in page.

I can't answer why you started getting billed for a service you cancelled. I can say that the new AT&T is just the old SBC in new livery; and that the old SBC gave my mother nearly a year of grief over merchandise, ordered, then cancelled before delivery. The bill started showing charges, and only after a complaint to the local BBB, with a copy of the complaint to the California PUC, did the bill finally reflect that the merchandise was never delivered after the order was cancelled.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

septcasey

United State
reply to septcasey

Ok I called ATT today and cancelled my dial up service with them and they gave me a confirmation number for it.

My last question is do I need to do anything with my SBC Yahoo Member Center account? I read somewhere that once you cancel an ATT service you shouldn't attempt to login to your account or e-mail because it takes a few weeks for it to be removed from the system and attempting to login to them could cause delay in cancellation. ATT dial up is the only service I had.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11

You have a confirmation number. Leave things be, and just watch future bills. If you get billed, file complaints.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

septcasey

United State

Ok thanks. I'm sorry I made this such a big deal here. This kind of stuff always worries me and it helps to get advice from other people or speak to people who have had the same thing happen before.

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6

1 edit
reply to septcasey

said by septcasey:

said by mikes60:

In that case you should call your bank. Inform them that you canceled the service and AT&T continues to bill you.

They might have you sign a paper stating that, but once that is done they should get your money back from AT&T and it should clear up the matter.

said by septcasey:

The number for dial-up services in former Bellsouth-land is 1-800-4-DOT-NET

--
PRescott7-2097

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by joako:

They might have you sign a paper stating that, but once that is done they should get your money back from AT&T and it should clear up the matter.
SBC/att yahoo bills in advance of services, the original poster could be looking at a partial months fee along with 1 month in advance, they have been doing this at least a few years

billhelp

@aol.com
reply to septcasey

Hi there ,ok if u have cancelled the services in November and still getting billed at&t i would suggest u to call back the internet service department tell them to check the record and see if there is any usage ,if there is no usage of dial up service and if case u have any kind cancellation number give it to them .even if u dont have the cancellation number thats fine if there is no usage then ask them to remove the charges from November they probable might not remove the charges from November but they will be able to remove some charges .if no help contact me at billhelpatt@aol.com///i get many complaints so please mention your number and the complete issue

Airwolf7
Premium
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY

1 recommendation

said by billhelp :

if no help contact me at billhelpatt@aol.com///i get many complaints so please mention your number and the complete issue
No one should ever contact someone with an AOL e-mail address regarding their AT&T service.

AT&T is an Internet Service Provider. AT&T has their own e-mail system and doesn't need to use AOL for anything.

You very well may work for AT&T and can help people with their billing problems, but why on Earth would you be doing it outside of proper channels.

Anyone that would contact someone outside of proper channels at an AOL email address and give out the type of information that would be needed for problems related to billing is a fool!

Internet Services>> Dial Up Access>> Sales, Billing & Service>> 1-888-757-6500

FAQFixer
Premium
join:2004-06-28
Powder Springs, GA

said by Airwolf7:

said by billhelp :

if no help contact me at billhelpatt@aol.com///i get many complaints so please mention your number and the complete issue
No one should ever contact someone with an AOL e-mail address regarding their AT&T service.

AT&T is an Internet Service Provider. AT&T has their own e-mail system and doesn't need to use AOL for anything.

You very well may work for AT&T and can help people with their billing problems, but why on Earth would you be doing it outside of proper channels.

Anyone that would contact someone outside of proper channels at an AOL email address and give out the type of information that would be needed for problems related to billing is a fool!

Internet Services>> Dial Up Access>> Sales, Billing & Service>> 1-888-757-6500
Amen. Additionally, it doen't even sound like billhelp knows the process or procedures. If he did have a clue he wouldn't be posting such general info.
Always contact Billing directly through proper channels

Tel

join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC
reply to septcasey

Hehe, I'll bet billhelp gets many complaints, probably against him.