All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jzanti
join:2001-11-15
Arlington, TX

Jzanti

[TWC] How can I tell which DOCSIS version I am on???

I know DOCSIS 3.0 is on the horizon, but how do I tell which DOCSIS version I am currently running??? How can I make sure that I am getting the most out of my modem??? I am using a RCA Modem.

Queens RR
@rr.com

Queens RR

Anon

Look at your config on the event log page of your modem. should look something like this:
isrrIP1BW20_2.bin@CjE0e34ZlP608M_
if it has a _2 or _1 then its a docsis 1.1 if not, then you have docsis 1.0

Flashfox
Eco-Text -- Why print E-mails?
join:2003-10-01
Carlsbad, CA

Flashfox to Jzanti

to Jzanti
As an example, my modem is running DOCSIS 1 even though I have a 15/2 plan.

Channel Type: DOCSIS 1.x (TDMA)

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to Queens RR

Premium Member

to Queens RR
said by Queens RR :

Look at your config on the event log page of your modem. should look something like this:
isrrIP1BW20_2.bin@CjE0e34ZlP608M_
if it has a _2 or _1 then its a docsis 1.1 if not, then you have docsis 1.0
The software version has no bearing on whether the system is 1, 1.1, or 2. 2.0 software is backwards compatible with both previous DOCSIS systems.
tjp375
join:2008-07-02
Akron, OH

tjp375 to Jzanti

to Jzanti
»192.168.100.1 will log you into most modems, the software version is your current DOCSIS version.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by tjp375:

»192.168.100.1 will log you into most modems, the software version is your current DOCSIS version.
What if someone is running 2.0 software which is backwards compatible with a 1.1 system (this is done far more often than you think too)?

CajunWon
join:2005-12-30
Cary, NC

CajunWon to Jzanti

to Jzanti
Software Version: SB5101-2.4.1.6-SCM02-NOSH

This shows as DOCSIS 2.0/1.1/1.0 firmware. So it works with the 3 versions.

Which DOCSIS version is being used through TWC?

roadrunnersatx to Jzanti

Anon

to Jzanti
If 2.0 is out there why is mine 1.0? I live in san antonio Tx.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Jzanti

Premium Member

to Jzanti
TW RR is on 1.1 DOCSIS. They are skipping 2.0 and eventually will go from 1.1 to 3. In Hawaii that will not happen for at least 2 to 3 more years according to Oceanic TW. Later this year, RR Turbo will FINALLY be offered here in Hilo. That's 8mbps down..whoooope do. There will $140 million in upgrades in the next two years to PREPARE FOR THE EVENTUAL MOVE TO DOCSIS 3.0.

TW RR is not forward thinking like Comcast and other cable providers. They do the least they have to do and, unfortunately, a lot of folks are perfectly fine with that.

thndr1432
join:2003-04-03
Syracuse, NY

thndr1432

Channel Type: DOCSIS 1.x (TDMA)
System: ARRIS DOCSIS 1.1 / PacketCable 1.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem HW_REV: 02

TWC Central NY

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

TW RR is on 1.1 DOCSIS. They are skipping 2.0 and eventually will go from 1.1 to 3.
Looks like Hawaii is 2.0 after all, with 20 Mbps to boot. »Hawaii Gets 20Mbps Cable [11] comments
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20

Premium Member

That is NOT correct. Oceanic is NOT upping the speed for about TWO YEARS (except perhaps on OAHU which IS NOT THE STATE OF HAWAII). In Hilo, AND THE ENTIRE STATE EXCEPT FOR OAHU, we do not even have Turbo at 8ms down. That is coming later this year (read around Christmas probably). 20mbps is coming to OAHU ONLY. OAHU IS NOT THE STATE OF HAWAII.

20mbps costs $70 a month. In this economic climate it is crazy to even offer it. Very few will get it and no one outside of Oahu will even be able to get it. Again, OAHU IS NOT THE STATE OF HAWAII.

There will be NO increase for Standard RR at 5ms down. Turbo at 8ms down will not be worth an additional $10 a month, especially in this economic climate, and wouldn't be at any time. 12 down for Turbo and 8 for Standard would be a decent offering. There is no mention of speed boost thank goodness. That I do not want EVER.

Currently, there is a bandwidth crunch in the evenings and I get 500 to 1500kbps then. Daytime I get 4900 to San Jose, California. There is also a problem with the DNS servers in the evening as they go beyond capacity then.

That is a misleading article which I had read before I made my first post.

EDIT: It is all shibai. My Quality of Service is at 97- 99% during the day. It drops to 0% every evening. It is so bad it cannot even be measured. QOS is far more important than the speed cap. You can have 20ms down and a QOS below 85% is going to negate the speed you supposedly have especially when that QOS drops to 30% or less. Oceanic got rid of the best speed test last year they had for us because they are unable to sustain a decent QOS in the evenings and they didn't want the customers to know that. Many customers think of the speed cap only and Oceanic knows this, increases the speed cap for those willing to pay $70 a month for RR, but does nothing to increase QOS in the evenings.

nycnetwork
join:2000-11-12
Brooklyn, NY

nycnetwork to Jzanti

to Jzanti
To cut all this short, open your modem's diagnostics page, look for the upstream channel modulattion, if it says TDMA, you are definitely on DOCSIS 1 or 1.1.
If it says ATDMA, you are 2.0

Cheers.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

The Surfboard doesn't have that information. I don't know about other modems. To confuse matters further, I am using DOCSIS 2.0 firmware but Oceanic TW is STILL OPERATING ON DOCSIS 1.5.

nycnetwork
join:2000-11-12
Brooklyn, NY

nycnetwork

Yes it does. Which Surfboard do you use?

DOCSIS15
@charter.com

DOCSIS15 to Mele20

Anon

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I am using DOCSIS 2.0 firmware but Oceanic TW is STILL OPERATING ON DOCSIS 1.5.
What's DOCSIS 1.5? never seen that published spec...
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

LOL Sorry, I meant DOCSIS 1.1.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Didn't you mention recently about your upstream power level being too high? Has this been corrected yet? Perhaps fixing this will improve your QoS.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
I haven't called Oceanic. Upstream power level is currently at 53dBmV. Speed is fine in the daytime and that is when someone will come out. First thing they will insist on is taking my precious Surfboard. I will not allow that. It is not the modem and Oceanic is too cheap to be using Surfboards since 2005 when I got this one. They won't let me buy my own either. So, I will not call until it gets bad enough that they won't insist it is the modem. The modem is on a UPS. But a field tech will insist on removing my precious Surfboard anyway. I hate that Oceanic says they are improving speed for gamers but they can't be bothered to either provide Surfboard modems, and no other brand, (I mean who would want any other brand but Motorola) or to at least let us buy our own. I've been there and done this before with Oceanic. They know how I feel about having only a Surfboard and how I would buy my own if they would let us.

The problem causing the pitiful QOS is the maximum pause time in the evenings. It goes as high as 3400ms. It should never rise above 20ms ideally and 40ms at tops.

CajunWon
join:2005-12-30
Cary, NC

CajunWon to nycnetwork

to nycnetwork
said by nycnetwork:

Yes it does. Which Surfboard do you use?
SB5101 modem shows nothing related to TDMA/ATDMA -that I can find. Frequency, S/N Ratio, Power Level

Downstream Value
Frequency 609000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 38.7 dB
Power Level -5.5 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 33008000 Hz
Power 43.0 dBmV

stevechz
@rr.com

stevechz to Mele20

Anon

to Mele20
upstream power at 53 is not good. It indicates either (1) too many splitters, damaged coax, house amplifier return path not correct; or your coax or their system has too much signal ingress.

If you power off the modem for a minute, power on, you may see the 53 drop down to the 30's wich is more normal.

On the downstream, you want a number like 0 to -10