how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lageotakes

join:2001-06-07
Harwood Heights, IL

AT&T U-verse-What kind of modem

I was considering ordering AT&T U-verse. What kind of modem does the AT&T U-verse internet use?
Is it DSL, Cable, or is it special kind for only AT&T U-verse (fiber??).

I live in Chicago, IL.

Thanks in advance

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast

»www.flickr.com/photos/62678596@N···3679300/

it uses a special 2wire modem that at&t provides for free. i believe it is the property of AT&T so don't go selling it.
--
»www.crossloop.com/nealdaringer

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

The 2Wire RG is a VDSL modem/router/wifi access point all-in-one (a "Residential Gateway"). The VDSL can be fed from the NID to the RG via either Twisted Pair (Cat 3/5/5e/6) Phone Line or RG-6 Coax.

It is neither a DOCSIS Cable modem nor is it an ADSL modem.

lageotakes

join:2001-06-07
Harwood Heights, IL

1 edit

Therefore my old adsl and cable modems will be of no use in case i need a spare.

Thanks

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
·Comcast

nope. and if i remember correctly they will send a tech out to replace the modem if the modem gets fu*0red. i just wish that a person could go to an AT&T store to switch out the RG if its bad. I live right down the street from a store and all they do is sales there.

Rendell

join:2008-12-13
Houston, TX
reply to lageotakes

You can look here at 2-wires site to see the gateway they give you. It is the VDSL2 gateway 3800HGV. They don't have the manual for it, but if you download the one for the ADSL counterpart, 2701HG it is pretty much the same thing.

»www.2wire.com/index.php?p=106

ALFinet

join:2005-06-06
Fontana, CA

The problem is the 3800HGV-B Gateway has a lot of stripped away features.

And only a few new ones related to uVerse.

poszest16

join:2009-04-04
reply to lageotakes

I am just got AT&T Uverse installed yesterday. I love the service. I got to say the HD is far better then our previous Comcast Service and we got more channels for a cheaper price.

So anyways, I am IT Professional and I have a small business size network at my house (8 Computers and 3 Network Printers). I'm using a Corporate Router (Netscreen 5GT. I use the VPN and advanced routing features.). That is where my problem is. I never liked 2wire routers AT&T provided me in the past when I first signed up for DSL good thing then was AT&T provided a Speedstream ADSL Modem as a alternative to the 2Wire but in the light of the Uverse 2Wire they do not offer an alternative modem/hardware. I asked the installer and he says I am the third person to ask in the last week (Interesting...). Since no one at AT&T can help (or the Internet for that matter) I am investigating alternative hardware my self. First I found that the Uverse service uses VDSL(G.993.1) not ADSL protocol. (that would explain why my old modem dose not work anymore.) There are VDSL Modem available but I not able to find any retailer who sells these VDSL modems (Gigaset SE267 VDSL2). I also found that the IPN330HD SBT do work without the 2Wire router present (I was able to stream my tv though other means). So the SBT's make a connection directly with AT&T Servers. The only other problem is getting the correct settings to use with a ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) device. Here is the results so far. VDSL Modem > Netscreen 5GT (or any other brand) > ATA (Phone)/SBT (TV)/Computers (Internet). If anyone has any information that would help it would be appreciated.

dave006

join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL

1 edit

Sorry but you are wasting your time trying to get another VDSL modem to work with U-verse. The 2Wire connect daily to a provisioning server, there is no PPoE login or other login. It is not as simple as a ADSL modem where you just need to know VPI / VCI settings and the PPoE / PPoA settings.

Just put your existing NetScreen router behind the 2Wire RG in the DMZplus. Make sure that you network segment is different then the RG or just change the RGs default from 192.168.1.0 to one of the other choices or pick a custom network. The U-verse STBs can stay on the network with the RG. This also will keep the IPTV multicasts from overloading your network.

The only restriction with the 2Wire really has to do with VPN support. Here is the 2Wire document that explains the possible issue.

Source: »support.2wire.com/?page=view&art···t=&sort=

Test by placing a computer in the DMZPlus mode. If the VPN does not work when the computer is in the DMZPlus mode, the VPN is either using the same IP scheme or IPSec 50 or 51, which does not work with 2Wire gateways.

Dave

poszest16

reply to lageotakes

Are you sure the VDSL dose not use a Username and Password to connect? My 2Wire during setup asked for my login information. Anyone who owns a VDSL Modem let me know what settings dose the modem need to connect?

I encourage people to let AT&T know we the people want alternative hardware like a simple VDSL Modem and a seperate ATA Device for phone service.

I don't like the 2wire router because it is almost idiot proof. Even as you said above dose work for my network but my VPN is not working and I like to minimize the number of switches and routers best I can.

dave006

Boca Raton, FL

Yes, I am very sure that the 2Wire does not need or use your account (userid) or password.

During your initial registration you were on the redirect web page to the Lightspeed registration page here: »lsreg.att.net/LightspeedRegWeb/P···sByIP.do

Your ATA device can continue to work connected to your existing router just like before U-verse. What problem are you having with your ATA solution?

The VPN issue with the 2Wire has to do more with a poor implementation by the VPN provider rather than the specification of the 2Wire implementation.

What problem are you having with your VPN and did you try the test using the 2Wire support document from my previous link?

Dave

poszest16

reply to lageotakes

I'm not having any problems with the ATA Solution. It is just the solution if I end up ditching the 2wire router. But I would still need the correct ATA settings to make it work.

Anyways, I wonder what settings the 2wire router receives from the provisioning server. Do other VDSL modems use usernames and passwords? If not are they able to connect to the Uverse Service. It looks like the provisioning servers address is at "https://cwmp.c01.sbcglobal.net/cwmp/services/CWMP". but it is password protected.

I assume if the provisioning is almost the same as the Vonage ATA from Linksys then the main purpose is for receiving the settings for the internal ATA and capping the Internet Speed to the paid speed excluding TV Boxs. (Example: Speed-6000, Phone-000.000.0000, and other settings)

What I want to know is if anyone has attempted to connect a standard VDSL modem to the Uverse lines coming into the house and dose it connect? This is the first step.

The 2wire is not always connected to the provisioning servers so don't see why not connecting to the servers would cause the VDSL connection not to work.

One the note of VPN I am not worried about the VPN working at the moment. I only use it occasionally. I'm focusing my free time at the moment to research this service. I will try the 2wire support doc down the road.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

The 2Wire RG's Serial Number & MAC address are associated with your account. Even using another 2Wire RG of the same model will not work properly unless reprovisioned, let alone a 3rd party's VDSL modem.

The 3rd party VDSL modem would sync up, but it would never give you service. At least not the way U-Verse is set up at present.

And trying to set up a 3rd party ATA to use for U-Verse Voice VoIP, well good luck with that. I dont think there is any way, even if you used an old AT&T CallVantage ATA I don't think you could make it work...

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to lageotakes

ILpt4U is correct. I have tried a vdsl2 modem (was used with Covad 15/2 service) on Uverse and it does sync up. No traffic will pass however since it appears the mac is hardcoded somewhere up stream (either the vrad port or farther up).

AT&T has designed this service around the 2-Wire RG. If you do not want to use it, you will have to look for service elsewhere. This could change in the future but I'm sure AT&T has bought warehouses of the 2-Wire RG's.

dave006

Boca Raton, FL

Actually there is nothing really special about the RG 3800HGV-B Gateway, it is based on the existing 2Wire 2700 hardware platform. It just has a different Firmware version.

Dave

poszest16

reply to lageotakes

I'm just looking for that very small chance that this could work. Now remember the service is using VDSL not VDSL2 as I can tell (protocol G.933.1 not G.933.2).

Could your VDSL modem receive a IP address from AT&T? (IF that is how it works?) Usually Provisioning is only for downloading settings only not providing mac address to the VRATs. even if you were not able to access the internet you should be able to communicate with AT&T servers at the least.

The question of the moment is can a standard VDSL modem communicate with the Uverse Service even if that is just the AT&T Servers.

If you look at the specs for the 2Wire router directly from 2Wire (Not Rebranded for AT&T) the internal ATA is a standard ATA device all you would need is the VoIP's Server Address/IP, user (like this "0919*107"), password (like this "Bh6vxb"), Allowed codecs (like "G711, G726 or GSM), Register Period and SIP Port (Usually "5060"). Which I believe is stored on AT&Ts provisioning server.

So far I am very happy with the service.

scooby
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·ooma

All the VDSL2 modems that I have ever used support both G.933.1 and G.933.2. Here are the specs on the modem.

»us.zyxel.com/Products/details.as···A2007029

Was not able to obtain an IP. Even when hardcoding the IP and settings that the 2wire device received, it did not work.

Joe H

@sbcglobal.net
reply to lageotakes

I thought ATT dropped 2Wire devices and is using strictly SMC now, or is this only in some areas? While I really had no complaints when I had the 2Wire RG, besides the slow DNS, my SMC RG just seems to be built and provisioned better. Just a much better overall setup and feel to it. Plus can't go wrong with onboard 10/100/100 and Wireless N. Router web GUI is a much clearer setup as well with better overall features.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL

I am still waiting to see pictures of this SMC RG. I have never seen it, never seen a link to any info on it, just seen it mentioned here.

Until I have more info on the SMC RG, I have no info nor no data.

I only know the 2Wire...

dave006

Boca Raton, FL
reply to poszest16

I think we have tried to make it clear that another VDSL modem, even one from 2Wire will not work unless it has the U-verse firmware.

Dave

dave006

Boca Raton, FL
reply to ILpt4U

said by ILpt4U:

I am still waiting to see pictures of this SMC RG. I have never seen it, never seen a link to any info on it, just seen it mentioned here.

Until I have more info on the SMC RG, I have no info nor no data.

I only know the 2Wire...
At this point, until we get more details about it in the "wild", I would doubt that the SMC is a real option since the new iNID is also based on the 2Wire Platform.

Dave

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL

I agree.

the only references I have seen to it are here at dslreports from unregistered users.

Makes me wonder just a little bit...

scooby
Premium
Schaumburg, IL
reply to lageotakes

God I hope not. Comcast uses an SMC modem/router for their business service and it is complete junk. The 2-wire may not be perfect but at least it works reliably!

freejazz_RdJ

join:2009-03-10
reply to lageotakes

I'll give you the major reason for the 2wire being the only supported solution.

The 2wire solution allows ATT to manage everything themselves, remotely and zero-touch. This is great: no settings the user ever needs to configure. Full remote management from a central provisioning service. Full integration. The iNID is also a great product, very intersting, as is 2wire's new GEM platform.

I'm also assuming that the config server loads a bunch of QoS parameters into the device to dedicate bandwidth to the Voip ATA, STB's and Internet. It might even push these over the VDSL link on different VPI/VCI's or Vlans.

But I understand the OP's gripe. If Uverse wants to be a serious business contender, they need to offer a solution where an end user can plug in and get their public IP assigned by DHCP.

dave006

Boca Raton, FL

Wow, I was right with you until your last sentence. The preferred U-verse 2Wire way to assign the public IP(s) is via DHCP from the 2Wire RG. It is pretty simple via the Admin GUI. You can assign from a pool or by specific host (sticky).

Could you expand on your comment?

Dave

freejazz_RdJ

join:2009-03-10

Dave: I guess I haven't seen a 2wire deployment where the gateway doles out public IP's on the LAN interface. It's always been private IP's everywhere I've seen. Having said that, I do know that the 2wire CMS allows a carrier to do this. But I've never seen a business/SOHO service use the 2wire RG... they've always had a different device for these customers since the 2wire unit has features that are of little value to business clients: HPNA, ATA, freindly GUI, etc. A popular alternative I've seen in 2 overseas carriers is using a Cellpipe 22v or 61v for businesses, a straight bridged VDSL2 modem and modem/gateway.

The issue I was commenting on is that for users with their own devices, specifically VPN or other appliances, DMZ's aren't the optimal solution, nor are port forwards. I'm guessing many IT people and managed appliance providers might be a bit confused with having to setup the DMZplus.

dave006

Boca Raton, FL

Here is a 2Wire Support Article that describes how easy it is to configure the RG for multiple public addresses. The U-verse 2Wire uses the 5.x firmware so review that section for the quick and easy GUI steps.

»support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=126

Actually the DMZplus configuration is almost perfect for that almost "bridged" VDSL modem type of function. I find that most IT groups just need to feel comfortable with the steps and the fact that they access the 2Wire. Most managed solutions don't allow premise access to any of the features of the delivered service. If they can't follow the simple steps to configure the 2Wire, maybe they should consider another line of work.

Dave