spc
Search similar:

uniqs

nitemare
join:2000-05-11
Klamath Falls, OR

nitemare

Re: Outdoor washer and dryer?

So, the quotes I'm getting for this 8'x6'x6'(HxWxD) laundry enclosure range from $6000 - $12000. On the low end, I can get a "patio room". It has minimal insulation on a concrete slab (cheaper without slab). On the high end, I'm basically looking at a real room addition.

On the other hand, I can get a 8'x7'x7' shed for about $600 (Rubbermaid Big Max shed). Cut out openings in the side for fixture and electrical access and it's done.

Money is a big issue at this point. So, I'll go with cheap. If I do intend to "do it right", I'll save up for the whole $12k instead of spending $6k for a half-decent solution.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned) to nitemare

to nitemare
It seems strange having any appliance outside and building an enclosure for it ... In these parts we call a washer/dryer enclosure a basement/laundry room.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

That we have basements in the Northeast, is what is keeping me from moving to warmer climates. Don't you love them?
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned)

Basements? yes

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to nitemare

MVM

to nitemare
The plastic covers I told about where make for washers and dryers. Ask at your local hardware store.

alanhdsl
Premium Member
join:1999-10-09
Phoenix, AZ

alanhdsl to nitemare

Premium Member

to nitemare
Here in Phoenix, my parents have a washer on the back patio -- they just cover it with a tarp if it rains.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to whizkid3

Mod

to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

That we have basements in the Northeast, is what is keeping me from moving to warmer climates. Don't you love them?
I have to wonder what you do in there. We have had a few days with freezing temperatures and a week or so under 50. Most of our "winter" has been in the 60's and 70's. So if a basement is that important to you, keep it. It you don't want to be able to wear t-shirts and shorts in January (please do some tanning beforehand!) then stay in NY! If, on the other hand, you want a stable economic climate and reasonable real estate prices where you can actually own your own home, then come on down. You WILL have to get rid of your NY attitude and get more "laid back". That is a good trade off for having a basement in my opinion!