uniqs
share rss forum feed

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6

Remote control problems with plasma TV

I have two televisions with my U-Verse TV service, an LCD and a plasma. I have no problems with the LCD.

But the plasma has issues with the remote control for the U-Verse STB. It seems either the IR signal is being reflected by the plasma screen, or the plasma screen is giving off IR that interferes with the remote control.

I tried moving the STB to be below a shelf and that helped a little but the remote control is still not as responsive as it is in the other room.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I never had this issue with Comcast and their box was less than a foot under the plasma screen.
--
PRescott7-2097

StarFish267

join:2005-11-25
Fort Worth, TX
What brand is the plasma tv?

joako
Premium
/dev/null
Panasonic.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18
reply to joako
No idea if this has anything to do with your issue, but I do remember reading something about certain remotes doing a double code to prevent reflections doing the same command more than desired.
I wonder if the uverse boxes use this or not?

user4275
Location, Location, Location
Premium
join:2003-11-27
Chicago, IL
reply to joako
I've got my DVR sitting smackdab next to a 42" Panasonic plasma, but don't have this problem.

Shadow01
Premium
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland
reply to joako
Its and IR issue. Over in the Uverseusers.com site, they have a thread about it and it seems that turning off the power saver mode on the TV seems to help the issue.
--
GUN CONTROL:
using both hands

joako
Premium
/dev/null
reply to user4275
said by user4275:

I've got my DVR sitting smackdab next to a 42" Panasonic plasma, but don't have this problem.
No such option on my display
--
PRescott7-2097

mibrnsurg

join:2003-07-28
Grosse Pointe, MI
Do you have the Viera link turned on? That's the only thing I can think of that's different then my 42" Panasonic plasma that doesn't have any Uverse remote control problems. Plenty of LCDs have had remote problems and there are a number of settings that can help them, but your's is the first plasma that I've read about remote problems.

Chris

joako
Premium
/dev/null
Mine's the generation right before they came out with Viera link... but there are some "control by HDMI" options... I will try to turn them off.
--
PRescott7-2097

Samus82
Radly

join:2002-01-29
Alsip, IL
reply to joako
if that didnt work i can almost bet lunch that it is the "power saving mode" of your tv. Basicaly the mode taht brightens your tv when it needs to and dimms it in the dark. Turn that off it worked for more than one of my installs. I know you say your tv does not have it but give it another look.. Some tv's hide that function. But its there. Its called diffrent things by diffrent brands.
--
Opinion is just a word people hide behind to try and justify them believing stupid things. It sure is easy to believe in something completely and totally stupid, say it's your "Opinion" and then everyone has to respect it.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to joako
I don't have this problem with my two Panny plasmas either. I've read some people putting squares of glad press & seal wrap on the IR sensor to successfully reduce interference. Ghetto but maybe worth a try!

»utalk.att.com/utalk/board/messag···id=19748
--
AT&T U-Hearse
Your funeral. Delivered.