spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

again

@verizon.net

myfairpoint

myfairpoint site is up now, I noticed my contacts have not been transferred yet, I guess after 1-31.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
Funny I was able to access »www.myfairpoint.net a few days ago and get into the portal - tried today and got the: "The requested URL / was not found on this server."

Found it interesting Myfairpoint.net DNS has a CNAME record pointing to: fairpoint.infospace.com/ That looks like the FairPoint portal.

Realize I'm jumping the gun a little but just for fun tested email using the myfairpoint.net domain. "real" Verizon account name was accepted but not delivered, alias was rejected immediately. Looks like they are still porting stuff over.

Be interesting to see what happens in Feb.

/tom

mattmill

join:1999-09-03
Brunswick, ME
What will happen to those of us with a @verizon email and aliases for family members? I don't use any of the MSN/Yahoo premium stuff.

Thanks,
matt (in really cold Maine)
--
Scout the Australian Shepherd »www.mainemillers.com

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
I assume once everything is set up aliases should work just fine. From the brochure FairPoint mailed me they are transferring all settings, even password. We'll know next month.

It's a balmy 23F here in Southern NH. I have to go out later and rake the North facing roof because of ice dams.

/tom

mattmill

join:1999-09-03
Brunswick, ME
I don't remember getting a brochure. So will we be changing from @verizon.net to @fairpoint.net

matt
--
Scout the Australian Shepherd »www.mainemillers.com

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications

1 edit
Click for full size
Domain name for email changes from verizon.net to myfairpoint.net after Jan 31, they will continue to accept mail addressed to user@verison.net until April 30th.

DSL login does not change. Basically they are ignoring the domain name.

Here is an article from the Nashua Telegraph with more detail.
»www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbc ··· 01259956

I'm surprised you did not get a brochure from FairPoint. I assume VT/NH/ME will all be changed simultaneously.

/tom

redeye532

@verizon.net
My card indicates that the Domain name for email changes from
verizon.net to myfairpoint.net so where did myfairpoint.com come from...is this something new???

Clem

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
said by redeye532 :

where did myfairpoint.com come from...
Oops - I fat-fingered the address. Should be .net.

/tom

redeye532

@verizon.net
reply to again
when I try to connect to myfairpoint.net or myfairpoint.com
I don't get anything related to Fairpoint, so apparently this is still not an active URL, and only 5 days to transition over to Fairpoint...what gives here ???

Clem

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to mattmill
said by mattmill:

I don't remember getting a brochure. So will we be changing from @verizon.net to @fairpoint.net

matt
I believe that I got your brochure and at least a dozen other folks' too...

I have 4 phone lines, all on one bill, so one would have sufficed- a dozen was overkill.

As of today, I believe that I have everything forwarded to a completely new domain, and will hopefully get all of my business customers headed in the right direction...

I do not want a "myfairpoint" address for business- it sounds as half-witted and fly-by-night as everything else has with this whole fiasco. All of my customers, contractors, sub-contractors, etc. know what "verizon.net" is, and at least they will know what the company is.

None of 'em would have a clue what "myfairpoint" is- sounds like a social networking site.

~ Arel
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
said by mouseferatu:

None of 'em would have a clue what "myfairpoint" is- sounds like a social networking site.
I don't use my Verizon, now Fairpoint, email address for anything other then official communication from them. So I really don't care what the domain name is. Having said that Myfairpoint domain name for email is silly. Glad I don't have to use it. Don't know why they could not have used Fairpoint.

/tom

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Fairpoint would have been far more palatable for their business users, Tom. The Verizon address always gave an alternative to me that could be accessed easily outside the US 24/7, and wasn't dependent on internal work servers.

"myfairpoint" is just dippy, and doesn't work for anyone that needs a legitimate looking address... it works for nothing other than social contact.

They don't listen. And, IMO, they never will...

~ Arel
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."

IndigoBunting

@verizon.net
I saw in one of the Nashua Telegraph articles that they created a brand new domain with the 'my' so that they could guarantee everyone their current user name. If they'd used just fairpoint, some of us would have had to change. But since we have to change the address everywhere anyway...

Dellon

@verizon.net
reply to again
I'm looking for another ISP, I agree myfairpoint is, well IMO a little feminine, plus they gave me the runaround during the ice storm. I think 20 days to come out and put up a new wire is a bit much.

lobster11

join:2004-01-19
Brunswick, ME

2 edits
In southern and central Maine the primary independent ISP's offering both DSL and phone services are gwi.net and oxfordnetworks.com. gwi.net also services areas of southern New Hampshire, while oxfordnetworks.com offers FTTP for business accounts in certain locations.

again

@verizon.net
reply to IndigoBunting
I'm looking for another ISP, I agree myfairpoint is, well IMO a little feminine, plus they gave me the runaround during the ice storm. I think 20 days to come out and put up a new wire is a bit much.

Unless you go cable, Fairpoint owns your wires.

phonejocky

@verizon.net
reply to tschmidt
Yes, I think myfairpoint is dumb too. I can't even get my email to work and i followed the directions to a tee. I went to the web site twice to ensure that i was following the directions and then i tried to get someone on the phone, forget that! so now i have no email.

Mr Mad

@myfairpoint.net
reply to again
I changed our accounts (both business and personal) from Verizon to Fairpoint yesterday, and we are having some serious problems:
1) Only a few emails are being forwarded from the old Verizon address. This is totally unacceptable.
2) We are unable to send mail. If we use the new SMTP outgoing server settings (mail.myfairpoint.net), our passwords are not being recognized by the server. This is totally unacceptable.
3) All changes have been done to a "T". I've been doing IT for my company since 1986, so I'm no stranger to computers or setting protocols, etc. It has been impossible to reach Fairpoint on the phone for the last 24 hours. A good friend of mine works for Verizon, and says that the skinny there is that Fairpoint is woefully unprepared to do any of this stuff.
4) Time to check out Time-Warner...

Dave Brooks

@telegraphnh.com
reply to again
Mouseferatu and Mr. Mad - could I quote part of your postings in an article for tomorrow's (Feb. 3) Nashua Telegraph about the changeover?

If I don't hear from you, I'll assume you'd rather not be quoted. (Even if I do hear from you, the quote may not make the story - but you both make good points.)

David Brooks
dbrooks@nashuatelegraph.com
603-594-5831

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH
reply to mouseferatu
I agree; use of "myfairpoint" strikes me as the professional equivalent of the search doggie in XP Pro.

kirby

jadziedzic
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Nashua, NH
reply to again
No problems with transferred accounts, but a couple of issues I've found this weekend:

1) FP's SMTP server will NOT allow you to specify anything other than "@myfairpoint.net" for the sender's e-mail address. This impacts those of us who have a personal domain and simply use FP as a forwarding point. Verizon's SMPT server did allow this. While I *can* specify anything I want in the reply-to field, most users will see the myfairpoint address in their e-mail client, and often will reply to that address instead of the proper reply-to address.

2) The FP Web mail application isn't all that bad (I use the Web interface to check personal e-mail while at work), but I wish they'd have a "remember me" capability so I don't have to type in the full e-mail address and password each time I want to check personal e-mail.

It would be nice if FairPoint would set up a support forum so issues like this could be easily tracked. Calls to the tech support folks leave me feeling that the problem reports are being directed to the circular file ...

tash70

@xo.net
reply to again
Can add another person with messed up email. I am the main account on the Vz, or now FP, account. I have setup three sub-accounts for my wife and kids. The accounts for the kids came over ok. I see them in email setup and can log into webmail. However my wife's account did not come over.

I called and spoke to FP support yesterday afternoon. Was told that the migration from @verizon.net to @myfairpoint.net was still taking place. They are getting tons of calls about the issue I am reporting. I was was also told that they have until Feb 6th to complete the conversion.

Was annoyed but not overly concerned because the @verizon.net emails were still coming to her inbox. Well this morning that all changed. She had NO emails, nor could she connect to download. When she sent a test email to @verizon.net from a different account she has it bounced.

Looks like I will call FP again tonight.....can hardly wait!

Tom

jadziedzic
Premium
Nashua, NH
reply to again
FairPoint's Web-based mail (»remotedesktops.websiteos.com/myf ··· gin.html) needs a spell checker:

"Forgot you password?"

These little things are not making me feel all warm and fuzzy about these people ...

dmnd

@verizon.net
reply to again
Mr Mad and the others here it it right on the head! Totally disgusted and unable to contact anyone for help. None of the verizon.net mail is being forwarded and only half of the contact list was transferred. Huge delay in every step taken and so much for high-speed! Tiem to look elsewhere!

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to jadziedzic
Update - Monday Afternoon

1) I am able to send and receive mail using Fairpoint mail server using vze account.

2) Alias email account is not recognized by either FairPoint or Verizon.

3) Mail sent to VZE...@Verizon.net is returned as spam. Note header. Fairpoint is treating forwarded email by Verizon as spam. Verizon is changing domain name correctly before forwarding it to FairPoint.

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: vze2...@myfairpoint.net
  Original address: vze2...@verizon.net
  Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
  Diagnostic code: smtp;550 5.7.1 <vze2tvqs@myfairpoint.net>... H:DAD[206.46.172.59]Connection refused due to abuse.Please contact your E-mail provider.
  Remote system: dns;mx1c26.carrierzone.com (TCP|206.46.172.59|43713|64.29.151.41|25) (mail128c26.carrierzone.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.6.20060614/8.13.1; Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:04:13 -0500)

4) I cannot log into the FairPoint web site. I'm reluctant to try too many times for fear of locking myself out of my DSL account.

I would have thought updating email was pretty straight forward - have Verizon extract database info, give it to FairPoint, FairPoint updates their mail system. In Verizon's part recognize accounts in FairPoint land and forward to FairPoint email system. I guess it is not so simple.

This make me glad I don't use ISP email. I had been happy with FairPoint service so far - this rather rocky email transition does not bode well.

/tom

jadziedzic
Premium
Nashua, NH
reply to again
Regarding the comment about "logging in to the FairPoint Web site", if you're using the "Sign-In" link at the top of the page, one of the FP support techs told me that wasn't implemented yet; that's going to be the logon to your billing account, etc.

Use the "WEBMAIL" link to get to the Web-based e-mail.

Tony

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
said by jadziedzic:

Use the "WEBMAIL" link to get to the Web-based e-mail.
Thanks - I've tried both. Neither work. I'll give it a few days and try again.

Would have been nice if they marked stuff that is not yet operational. When they set out the brochure with the myfairpoint.net URL and server was not up. They could have a least put up a dummy "under construction" page rather then emit low level cryptic error message.

/tom

complain to puc

@myfairpoint.net
reply to again
My folders seemed to come over intact, but my inbox only have mail through 1/12. Any mail sent to @verizon.net are bounced.

I tried filing a complaint with the PUC at »www.puc.state.nh.us/Consumer/com ··· aint.htm, but all I got was a database error. I ended up writing to puc@puc.nh.gov. If you have a complaint I suggest you do the same. Make sure you write a reasoned, well thought out complaint so it doesn't end up in the crack-pot bin.

lakeshore104

join:2009-02-02
Louisville, KY
reply to tschmidt
I'm on the receiving end of bounced emails to Verizon.

For people that don't have Verizon as a provider, we had no idea who myfairpoint was.

When I sent the email to a relative with Verizon, the message bounced, with this comment:
Connection refused due to abuse.Please contact your E-mail provider.

The person I sent the email to is a relative. They aren't that computer savy, so I called them and suggested they check to make sure their 'trash' was empty. I thought they were over their quota of space. Later they called and said they had to change their email address. They didn't seem to know why. They've sent me an email. I suggested they send an email from Verizon, to let people know the of the change.

Some people only allow choose to receive messages from people in their address book.

I hope this is helpful. From reading the messages on the topic, it looks like there's lots of lost or bounced messages.

I found one email address for 'myfairpoint' and sent them a message. The bounced message included this info:
Recipient address: xxxxx@myfairpoint.net
Original address: xxxxx@verizon.net

The addresses were completely different.

I hope this helps those of you that are having difficulties with this switch. It makes it easier, for those who have a Yahoo acct or gmail acct. They'll just have to login to
myfairpoint, when they go online.

For my info why has Verizon changing to 'myfairpoint'? Were
you given an explanation? Just wondering.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·FirstLight Fiber
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
said by lakeshore104:

For my info why has Verizon changing to 'myfairpoint'?
Verizon sold VT/NH/ME New England states to FairPoint Communication. Until recently Verizon was still handling email for FairPoint customers. As of February responsibility is being transferred to FairPoint, hence the new domain name for email myfairpoint.net. Those of us in the three state area are in the process of changing our email addresses. Verizon will forward mail still addressed to old address to FairPoint until April 30th.

The bounce problem appears to be resolved. Unfortunately due to numerous glitches it has not been a smooth transition.

/tom