uniqs
share rss forum feed

jadziedzic
Premium
join:2005-12-12
Nashua, NH
reply to again

Re: myfairpoint

No problems with transferred accounts, but a couple of issues I've found this weekend:

1) FP's SMTP server will NOT allow you to specify anything other than "@myfairpoint.net" for the sender's e-mail address. This impacts those of us who have a personal domain and simply use FP as a forwarding point. Verizon's SMPT server did allow this. While I *can* specify anything I want in the reply-to field, most users will see the myfairpoint address in their e-mail client, and often will reply to that address instead of the proper reply-to address.

2) The FP Web mail application isn't all that bad (I use the Web interface to check personal e-mail while at work), but I wish they'd have a "remember me" capability so I don't have to type in the full e-mail address and password each time I want to check personal e-mail.

It would be nice if FairPoint would set up a support forum so issues like this could be easily tracked. Calls to the tech support folks leave me feeling that the problem reports are being directed to the circular file ...

tash70

@xo.net
reply to again
Can add another person with messed up email. I am the main account on the Vz, or now FP, account. I have setup three sub-accounts for my wife and kids. The accounts for the kids came over ok. I see them in email setup and can log into webmail. However my wife's account did not come over.

I called and spoke to FP support yesterday afternoon. Was told that the migration from @verizon.net to @myfairpoint.net was still taking place. They are getting tons of calls about the issue I am reporting. I was was also told that they have until Feb 6th to complete the conversion.

Was annoyed but not overly concerned because the @verizon.net emails were still coming to her inbox. Well this morning that all changed. She had NO emails, nor could she connect to download. When she sent a test email to @verizon.net from a different account she has it bounced.

Looks like I will call FP again tonight.....can hardly wait!

Tom

jadziedzic
Premium
Nashua, NH
reply to again
FairPoint's Web-based mail (»remotedesktops.websiteos.com/myf···gin.html) needs a spell checker:

"Forgot you password?"

These little things are not making me feel all warm and fuzzy about these people ...

dmnd

@verizon.net
reply to again
Mr Mad and the others here it it right on the head! Totally disgusted and unable to contact anyone for help. None of the verizon.net mail is being forwarded and only half of the contact list was transferred. Huge delay in every step taken and so much for high-speed! Tiem to look elsewhere!

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to jadziedzic
Update - Monday Afternoon

1) I am able to send and receive mail using Fairpoint mail server using vze account.

2) Alias email account is not recognized by either FairPoint or Verizon.

3) Mail sent to VZE...@Verizon.net is returned as spam. Note header. Fairpoint is treating forwarded email by Verizon as spam. Verizon is changing domain name correctly before forwarding it to FairPoint.

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

Recipient address: vze2...@myfairpoint.net
  Original address: vze2...@verizon.net
  Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
  Diagnostic code: smtp;550 5.7.1 <vze2tvqs@myfairpoint.net>... H:DAD[206.46.172.59]Connection refused due to abuse.Please contact your E-mail provider.
  Remote system: dns;mx1c26.carrierzone.com (TCP|206.46.172.59|43713|64.29.151.41|25) (mail128c26.carrierzone.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.6.20060614/8.13.1; Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:04:13 -0500)

4) I cannot log into the FairPoint web site. I'm reluctant to try too many times for fear of locking myself out of my DSL account.

I would have thought updating email was pretty straight forward - have Verizon extract database info, give it to FairPoint, FairPoint updates their mail system. In Verizon's part recognize accounts in FairPoint land and forward to FairPoint email system. I guess it is not so simple.

This make me glad I don't use ISP email. I had been happy with FairPoint service so far - this rather rocky email transition does not bode well.

/tom

jadziedzic
Premium
Nashua, NH
reply to again
Regarding the comment about "logging in to the FairPoint Web site", if you're using the "Sign-In" link at the top of the page, one of the FP support techs told me that wasn't implemented yet; that's going to be the logon to your billing account, etc.

Use the "WEBMAIL" link to get to the Web-based e-mail.

Tony

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
said by jadziedzic:

Use the "WEBMAIL" link to get to the Web-based e-mail.
Thanks - I've tried both. Neither work. I'll give it a few days and try again.

Would have been nice if they marked stuff that is not yet operational. When they set out the brochure with the myfairpoint.net URL and server was not up. They could have a least put up a dummy "under construction" page rather then emit low level cryptic error message.

/tom

complain to puc

@myfairpoint.net
reply to again
My folders seemed to come over intact, but my inbox only have mail through 1/12. Any mail sent to @verizon.net are bounced.

I tried filing a complaint with the PUC at »www.puc.state.nh.us/Consumer/complaint.htm, but all I got was a database error. I ended up writing to puc@puc.nh.gov. If you have a complaint I suggest you do the same. Make sure you write a reasoned, well thought out complaint so it doesn't end up in the crack-pot bin.

lakeshore104

join:2009-02-02
Louisville, KY
reply to tschmidt
I'm on the receiving end of bounced emails to Verizon.

For people that don't have Verizon as a provider, we had no idea who myfairpoint was.

When I sent the email to a relative with Verizon, the message bounced, with this comment:
Connection refused due to abuse.Please contact your E-mail provider.

The person I sent the email to is a relative. They aren't that computer savy, so I called them and suggested they check to make sure their 'trash' was empty. I thought they were over their quota of space. Later they called and said they had to change their email address. They didn't seem to know why. They've sent me an email. I suggested they send an email from Verizon, to let people know the of the change.

Some people only allow choose to receive messages from people in their address book.

I hope this is helpful. From reading the messages on the topic, it looks like there's lots of lost or bounced messages.

I found one email address for 'myfairpoint' and sent them a message. The bounced message included this info:
Recipient address: xxxxx@myfairpoint.net
Original address: xxxxx@verizon.net

The addresses were completely different.

I hope this helps those of you that are having difficulties with this switch. It makes it easier, for those who have a Yahoo acct or gmail acct. They'll just have to login to
myfairpoint, when they go online.

For my info why has Verizon changing to 'myfairpoint'? Were
you given an explanation? Just wondering.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
said by lakeshore104:

For my info why has Verizon changing to 'myfairpoint'?
Verizon sold VT/NH/ME New England states to FairPoint Communication. Until recently Verizon was still handling email for FairPoint customers. As of February responsibility is being transferred to FairPoint, hence the new domain name for email myfairpoint.net. Those of us in the three state area are in the process of changing our email addresses. Verizon will forward mail still addressed to old address to FairPoint until April 30th.

The bounce problem appears to be resolved. Unfortunately due to numerous glitches it has not been a smooth transition.

/tom

lakeshore104

Louisville, KY
Tom, thanks for the explanation.

When did you find out the swap over would be Feb 1? When I had the bounced email problem, I went to there website. I didn't see anything on thre about this. That would have been a help to me, since I'm not in that part of the country.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
FairPoint mailed out a brochure to customer. I scanned a couple of pages and posted it previously:
»Re: myfairpoint

They also sent out an email. Here is a link to that:
»view.exacttarget.com/?j=fecc1670···7b7d&r=0

Unfortunately they have not been very good about updating FairPoint or MyFairPoint web sites with this info.

/tom

lakeshore104

Louisville, KY
Thanks.

I hope does go smoother. Can their customers still use Verizon's website to send emails, to let people know of this change?

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure
kudos:3
reply to jadziedzic
We just got Internet service back after most of the weekend out.

Initially, early Saturday AM, a hard reboot of the ONT managed to finally grab an address that worked and didn't keep dropping off.

Sometime Saturday evening the whole deal died... the Internet, all of the fiber phones, and (obviously) both VOIP lines. Since I need to drive a couple miles to get a cell signal, I decided to forget about it until Sunday AM.

When I called the first time about the phones, I got back into that "we don't have fiber phones where you live" route. I told the gal thanks, and called back, and got someone else (?) to fax another repair request to whatever division fixes 'em (?).

To give credit where credit is due, FairPoint did have a truck out here this AM, but I had already called to tell 'em that the phones were working again.

As far as I can determine, the Internet connection is what it is until someone fixes it locally- my whole area is off-kilter if three of my neighbors are any indication...
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."

raveneap

join:2008-09-26
Augusta, ME
reply to Dave Brooks
Fairpoint's woefull inadequacy in completing the switchover from Verizon DSL as well as their not being available to customers has made the evening news last night (2/2 ) I have been trying for 2 days to contact them at their posted help number - the two times I didn't get a busy signal I was on hold for 23'30" and 40 mins respectively. I've sent an email to Fairpoint, our PUC and will probably follow up to our local paper. And this is after, on one time I did get thru, one of their techs set up my system remotely. Looking for another provider. We've got satellite TV, maybe that's the way to go.

princess di

@sover.net
reply to again
I am having a hard time getting into myfairpoint e-mail.
It was much easier with verizon. Can you please let me
know how I get into myfairpoint email because I haven't
received any e-mail for a couple of days on my verizon
accout and I know I should have received some.

luzmuller

@myfairpoint.net
reply to again
There is now a new message on their tech support site. It says that because of excessive call volume [you bet!] they cannot take the call but we should go to their website www.myfairpoint.net and go to live chat for immediate assistance. I did so and the chat help waiting list goes from 5 minutes to 18 minutes to 1 minute to 20 minutes to 3 minutes ad nauseatum. These puppies need real help

Pissed

@myfairpoint.net
reply to phonejocky
I WANT MY EMAIL AND I WANT IT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whatever

@myfairpoint.net
reply to again
2 days...2 emails...repeated trys on the chat line, when i couldnt get an answer at the help ph# or it rang busy, i called the "new service" line.. you bet somebody answered there!! after a big sigh, i was asked to please be patient and maybe i should try the online "chat". Ya that got me to a "queue number", it started at 15 it took about 30 seconds to get to "my queue", i thought that was good this will be quick. no way!!! I was told they were unable to process my request. Try Later!! I opted not to leave a message on that time but thought if i had to i would the next time, well the next time, last night, it said the chat was unavailable. This morning i hit the leave a message button. Then i was told they couldnt do that at the time either!!! i have now been waiting in queue, whatever that means, does it mean im in a line??? for 43 mins!! Why give us all these useless options to try to ease our a mind about a company so big thats its sopposed to be a "giant"!! I have no faith in these people, they bring in 80 people? to take care of how many of us? and how many hours have they had to rectify the problem? What are they going to do about all the money i have lost(i use it for my business)They dont care!!!I say to all you mucky-mucks at NONFAIR-fairpoint print my address book and my emails and send them to me and im moving to yahoo!!! F____O__!!!!!still waiting.......56 mins.!!

whatever

@myfairpoint.net
reply to again
OK YOU GUYS, ITS BEEN 4 HOURS I HAVE WAITED TO GET INTO THAT STUPID CHAT LINE, IM GOING TO SLEEP NOW AND IM GONNA LEAVE IT TRYING TO GET A HUMAN ON LIVE AND I WILL SEE IN THE MORNING!!! 4 HOURS?????????

Live Wire

@charter.com
reply to Mr Mad
I am having the same problem sending emails did you get a solution. One of my end users switched to the verizon yahoo account instead of changing his email and mail servers. I have followed all the stept to a T to allow Outlook to manage his mail but am not having any luck.

Thanks
Dave

bizwonk

@myfairpoint.net
reply to jadziedzic
FP does allow you to specify the email address that you want to display on your outgoing email. Setup for it may vary by email client. I use Mozilla Thunderbird and by clicking on "Tools" and then choosing "Account Settings" go to "Outgoing Server (SMPT)." Next to the SMPT settings click on "Edit". In the "Description" box type in the desired email address that you want your email recipients to see. Outlook Express is probably very similar in its setup.

jadziedzic
Premium
Nashua, NH

1 edit

1 recommendation

I went back and tried again (Outlook Express), and after some dinking I discovered I had to turn on outgoing authentication for FP's SMTP server. Once that was turned on then FP's SMTP server would accept something other than @myfairpoint.net in the sender's e-mail field. Thanks for prodding me take another look.

Of course, it would have been nice if the FP tech that I spoke with on Saturday knew that answer ...

Tony

OkForNow

@baesystems.com
reply to again

odd woman out

@myfairpoint.net
reply to again
I am using my outlook express and getting my emails in and out. However, I am not allowed to sign onto the Fairpoint Webmail -- got on once & saw that they had transferred all my delete messages to the new email files.
I would have used the fairpoint email as they have the Spam control listed --- but keep getting locked out and rejected as password rejected. So they have blown that one, impossible to get a response on the chat room to reset password - after 3 hrs twice I was booted off. Phone the same way - held on until my hand was numb - don't have a speaker phone - and then told too busy to take my call.
"My Fair Point" sounds pretty awful, after Verizon.net I
find it hard to remember the "MY" - guess I have to investigate other options for phone and email - like going to Cable.

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure
kudos:3
My phones have been working for 5 days without incident, and I have only had to reboot the ONT twice in that time. Progress, I guess?

Still have no @myfairpoint mail access, and did get through to FairPoint.

They may have lost my account record, apparently, and their system sees me as a new DSL customer. ~sigh~ It does make me wonder how many accounts are "lost" or mis-assigned...

Verizon is forwarding to my new address that isn't FP, and I assume that if anyone sends anything important and doesn't hear from me, they will resend or call...
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."

COMCAST

@aol.com
reply to again
STILLNOEMAIL

annoyed greatly

@myfairpoint.net
here it is Feb. 12--I'm still here but where is myfairpoint? still no mail,no access, just a not working on it. DUH!