said by DVDdude:
I am in a Light Star neighborhood in High Point, NC. I have a few questions for anyone who has Light Star.
1. Are there any download caps? (I usually download around 100 GB per month).
2. Do they provide any Usenet newsgroups?
3. Do they provide email accounts?
4. Are their rated speeds reliable?
I am currently using Roadrunner, but I am fed up with the constant outages. I would like to switch to Light Star because of the higher speeds.
1) Not that I have seen. 100GB should be no problem.
3) Yes, you get a northstate.net email address. I have never used them though.
4) Yes. However, my 15Mbps/2Mbps service is really about 12.8Mbps/1.7Mbps. I was told during the install that you lose TCP/IP overhead as they cap your rate right at the speed you purchase, rather than slightly over to account for the protocol overhead. I NEVER experience slowdowns and they don't throttle any protocols at all.
I have had Lightstar for a few years now and I had RoadRunner in Greensboro for 5+ years before that. Lightstar is a better service and if you're having reliability problems, you'll love Lightstar.