spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FredFredrick

join:2008-12-04
Laconia, NH

How long are we trapped in the stone age?

Rather depressed that I'm still receiving 3 mbps while other places in the country are getting 10 times that, I'm wondering if - now that we're with fairpoint- we're stuck in the stone age for good.

Is there any hope for faster internet service? I don't live in the middle of nowhere, I live in the middle of Laconia NH, a very urban area (for new hampshire that is :P).

Fairpoint! Please !! ANYTHING!?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

According to your previous posts you are about 8,000 feet from the CO with good signal margin (now that line has been fixed).

I don't know what FairPoint is doing with 7.1 Mbps residential plan. Once the transition is complete may want to give them a call.

As far as fiber I would not hold my breath. My guess for the next couple of years they are going to have their hands full rolling out DSL to currently unserved areas. Once that is complete hopefully they will resume fiber rollout begun by Verizon. How they are going to raise the Capital is another question.

/tom

FredFredrick

join:2008-12-04
Laconia, NH

1 recommendation

I got a flyer about their 7.1 mbps plan, so I called, and they said it wasn't available in my area. I don't know why they bothered with the flyers. It got my hopes up, just to crush them.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

I though all DSLAMs could support max line speed of 8 Mbps toward customer add 1 Mbps unload. I'm surprised to hear it is not offered. My guess, and this is just a guess, the limitation is not the DSLAM itself but back-haul capacity. Doesn't make much sense to offer customers 7.1 Mbps service if connection is throttled once it gets to the Central Office.

/tom

Estragon

join:2003-06-20
Greenville, NH
reply to FredFredrick

Wow, you are lucky. Some of us can only get 26.4 Kbps service from Unfairpoint.

And I see no evidence that Unfairpoint will get service to the rest of us in my lifetime.

I live in caribou,Maine and currently subscribe to roadrunner, but ive almost had it. GWI is offering ADSl through fairpoints line in my area and im only 1800 feet from the central office which qualifies me for the 20/1 ADSL2 package, im probably going to make the switch.

lobster11

join:2004-01-19
Brunswick, ME

4 edits

In Maine Oxford Networks is building out fiber capacity to downtown areas in order to meet demands of business and large non-profits, like the University of Maine. They are a small company that started building out one downtown area with fiber, and then another, etc. From a recent press release they said that "business customers in our new markets are responding very positively to our fiber-to-the-business product offerings". They apparently serve residential customers where they have fiber, but they don't build out for residential purposes. The map of Oxford Networks' FTTP (fiber to the premises) network is here, in turquoise: »oxfordnetworks.com/images/map-2009.jpg

mouseferatu
Too many cats, Too many mice
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-16
Im not sure
kudos:3
reply to FredFredrick

I have no idea how they decide who gets what ad flyer...

They advertise fiber in my community, but there are very few homes that have service available, and I don't see a lot of fiber going in.

The fiber ends where it ended a couple of years ago when Verizon added my house as the last house on the line...
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crispy and good with catsup."

Fred See Gee

@myfairpoint.net
reply to FredFredrick

I agree with this guy. I am Fred, but I'm in Lewiston, ME. I just want folks who know me understand I am NOT the Fred I am replying to. Confused? Good - this message isn't for YOU, then!