spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mattmill
join:1999-09-03
Brunswick, ME

mattmill

New Hardware?

Will we be getting any new hardware from Fairpoint?

matt

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH

tschmidt

MVM

I would not think so - did you have something specific in mind?

/tom

mattmill
join:1999-09-03
Brunswick, ME

mattmill

No, nothing specific. Just curious since my modem is from 2003 when I first moved here.

matt

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

As far as I know Verizon and now FairPoint have always used ITU ADSL complaint DSLAMs and modems. I've had Verizon DSL since 2000 at that time they were issuing Westell B90 dumb modems. Couple of years ago bought a used Netopia 3346N modem/router combo on eBay.

If you opt to buy new modem/router try to get one that supports second generation ADSL spec ADSL2/ADSL2+. Newer spec provides some minor distance and speed improvements kinda of like the difference between V.90 and V.92 dialup modems. Verizon and FairPoint are not marketing the advantages but as they buy new equipment they get it for free. If both ends support it modem/DSLAM will use it. Might be helpful on long or marginal lines.

/tom

redeye532
@rr.com

redeye532 to mattmill

Anon

to mattmill
Yeah... I was hoping Fairpoint would provide some new hardware also, my Westell 3100 needs to be updated.

So I assume that no settings in the modem need to be changed with this transition from VZN to FPT ? If that is the case how hard would it be for me to buy a new ADSL modem, and get it to run? I'm thinking of a modem with wireless router for future use. Anyone here have a reccomendation on a model?

Thanks,
Clem

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

That is my understanding. I had raised question about need to modify PPPoE login because reference to that does not appear in any of the FairPoint literature. David Brooks at the Nashua Telegraph followed up with FairPoint and was told customers do not have to change PPPoE domain name. FairPoint RADIUS servers ignore Verizon.net portion of log in name.

Setting up a new modem/router is easy. As I mentioned previously try to get one that supports newer ADSL2/ADSL2+ if possible.

The only issue may be setting up ATM VPI/VCI setting. The Netopia discovered them automatically but you made need to set them up manuals. For Verizon/FairPoint setting is 0, 35.

/tom