Search similar:

uniqs
mloiterman
join:2001-10-09
Chicago, IL

4 edits

mloiterman

DOCSIS 3.0 Ultra/Extreme Problems in IL

So a few of us in the DOCSIS 3.0 thread have noticed that some parts of IL have not had all of their local equipment updated so that we can take advantage of the new speeds.

The basic problem is this:

1. We've obtained new 6120 DOCSIS 3.0 capable modems.
2. Our routers have been updated or replaced to handle the higher speeds.
3. We get huge Power Boost numbers (50-60Mbs), but then our speeds are throttled down to Blast level speeds (16Mbs or about 2.1 MBs - See picture above).
4. We have had techs verify levels, equipment, etc.

Areas experiencing the issue are:

1. Yorkville/Oswego
2. Mokena
3. Villa Park
4. Lisle
5. Evanston
6. Warrenville
7. Naperville
8. Streamwood
9. New Lenox

Have I missed anything?

Update: 1/28/09 4:08 PM
Got a call this morning from Comcast Executive Customer Support about I complaint that they said I placed. I previously sent a message to ComcastSteve, maybe he escalated this for us. In any event, I called the woman back, but have not yet heard anything. Will keep everyone updated.

Also, the modem logs, much to my dismay and frustration do not show the configuration file. Motorola and Comcast really need to fix that.

Update 1/28/09 8:03 PM
Checked my modem logs and saw that my modem was externally rebooted today. Checked my speeds a few minutes ago and now my cap is at 13 Mbs or 1.6MBs. Previously it was 16Mbs or 2.0 MBs. We're moving in the wrong direction!

Update 1/29/09 6:31 PM
Spoke to the Executive Customer Support person this morning. She promised that she would continue to look into the problem and call me back today. It's 6:30 and I still have not heard anything back. Also, my speeds have returned to a 16Mbs cap. For anyone that is interested, I'm posting a picture of the problem.

Update 1/30/09 2:26 PM
Not much news to really report. Same problem exists with more people and areas reporting in. I have heard nothing back from Executive support. Someone within Comcast knows what the problem is, knows how to fix it, but I can't find that person. I will keep trying to get this resolved.
phamien56
join:2004-07-12
Lisle, IL

phamien56

You can go ahead and add Lisle, IL to that list also.

I spent hours on the phone with comcast while getting disconnected several times while on hold. I talked to one tech that said I still had the old boot file for blast. I talked to a supervisor and it seems they had a problem changing the config for ultra. After hours of being on hold and finally disconnected again - I gave up.

Hopefully this will get straightened out soon.

anon123
@198.178.8.x

anon123

Anon

Can you check your modem logs and see what bootfile your modem is pulling? You may need to do a factory reset in order to pull a new bootfile.

If you are on the ultra tier the bootfile you should be grabbing is: d11_m_sb6120_ultra_c01
BBQ_Drew
join:2003-08-14
Evanston, IL

BBQ_Drew to mloiterman

to mloiterman
Same prob. in Evanston, IL. Should be on 22/5 tier. Went to comcast to get SB6120. Called comcast 3 times. Of course they have no clue. Everything good on there side. Power boost way high then goes back to my old speeds. How do you tell your config file from the SB6120?

gwbuffalo
join:2001-12-08
Mokena, IL

1 edit

gwbuffalo to mloiterman

to mloiterman
You can look at your modem's logs here:

The logs on my SB6120 do not show which file it's grabbing.

For anyone having just plain old always slow problems I just want to add that you may want to check your routers ability to handle the Ultimate and Extreme tiers.

I had a Linksys WRT54G v2.2 and it would not serve up speeds over 16MB/s no matter what I tried on downloads or the Comcast speed tests. Once I replaced the router with a new Linksys N router (with DD-WRT firmware) the speeds finally appeared.

So if you are having speed issues please take your router out of the equation and test the speeds. It may be time for a new router!
phamien56
join:2004-07-12
Lisle, IL

phamien56 to mloiterman

to mloiterman
I have reset the modem many times - Comcast has also reset it from their side and nothing.

Mine (SB6120) also does not show any kind of config file in the logs. Even when I reset nothing changes in the log like it usually did.
Crumbo
join:2006-01-19

Crumbo

said by phamien56:

I have reset the modem many times - Comcast has also reset it from their side and nothing.

Mine (SB6120) also does not show any kind of config file in the logs. Even when I reset nothing changes in the log like it usually did.
ditto

mike12806
Premium Member
join:2007-08-28
Framingham, MA

mike12806 to mloiterman

Premium Member

to mloiterman
I can confirm the SB6120 does not show the bootfile you receive.

I take issue with the fact you say its not a modem configuraiton issue....I think that's the most likely scenario here, that someone at Comcast pushed the wrong bootfile out to the modems. It may look to the CSR like you have the right bootfile, but that may not be the actual case.
mloiterman
Chicago, IL

1 edit

mloiterman

said by mike12806:

I take issue with the fact you say its not a modem configuraiton issue....I think that's the most likely scenario here, that someone at Comcast pushed the wrong bootfile out to the modems. It may look to the CSR like you have the right bootfile, but that may not be the actual case.
You're right, we don't know if it is or isn't a modem configuration issue. But, I do know that I added the Extreme tier, tested it for 24 hours and got the same results.

So, it is a modem configuration issue in that the wrong files are being pushed out to ultra and extreme users or local equipment is not setup correctly.

markjclark
join:2000-08-11

markjclark

same problems it seems over in warrenville the last days. I guess i will take a look at the modem see whats changed.

mig288
Premium Member
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288 to mike12806

Premium Member

to mike12806
said by mike12806:

Here in Southern New Jersey, I also can't see the SB6120 config file that it is grabbing. I have reset the modem on several occasions and still cannot find out what the config file is.

garrettn9
join:2001-12-03
Streamwood, IL

1 edit

garrettn9 to mloiterman

to mloiterman
I live in Streamwood/Schaumburg area and I have the exact same thing outlined in items #1-4 of the basic problem.

I just got my docsis 3.0 (SB6120) modem 2 days ago and I have never seen 22/5 speeds since I got it.

So my question is this. For these areas in Illinois, have the 22/5 speeds ever worked for anybody? Just trying to get a handle if they used to work and now they don't or they just never worked.
riser
join:2009-01-29

riser to mloiterman

to mloiterman
I live in New Lenox and I am having the same problem. I was able to pull the config filename from DHCP Force. d11_m_sb6120_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm is the file I am pulling on my Ultra 22/5 plan.

This filename is very similar to d10_m_sb5101_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm which was the 16/2 plan.

I used docsis 0.96 to decode the new file and there is no provisioned speed listed like in the old d10_m_sb5101 config file. The whole class of service section is missing from the sb6120 config file. I've attached the 6120 config file, if anyone can share some insight to what speed it is provisioning, it would be much appreciated.

mig288
Premium Member
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288

Premium Member

said by riser:

I live in New Lenox and I am having the same problem. I was able to pull the config filename from DHCP Force. d11_m_sb6120_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm is the file I am pulling on my Ultra 22/5 plan.

This filename is very similar to d10_m_sb5101_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm which was the 16/2 plan.

I used docsis 0.96 to decode the new file and there is no provisioned speed listed like in the old d10_m_sb5101 config file. The whole class of service section is missing from the sb6120 config file. I've attached the 6120 config file, if anyone can share some insight to what speed it is provisioning, it would be much appreciated.
How in the world did you get the config file? Perhaps you could guide me to finding out what my config file is for the "extreme" tier
mig288

mig288

Premium Member

BTW, I doubt this is just an IL problem. My brother has the Ultra tier and his download/upload speed drop down to blast speeds once the powerboost goes away.
riser

riser to mloiterman

to mloiterman
DHCPFORCE_new.rar
67,235 bytes
Attached is the program used to grab your config file. Usage is explained in the help tab.

Basic usage is:
Remove all routers from inbetween your modem and your computer (directly connect the modem to the pc)

Type in the MAC address of your cable modem (without dashes) into the mac address of DHCP Force program, which can be found in the »192.168.100.1/cmAddress.htm page on motorola modems (or on the modem itself)

Click DHCP --> Discover and wait ~20 seconds. If no replies, try again

You can also click begin sniffing to discover all the modems and config files being pulled on your local ubr (local comcast "hub"). (Right click in DHCP Force and click show all file names for easier sorting)

Once you have your listing,
Look for the TFTP server listing

This is the server your cable modem retrieves your config file from.

Open a command prompt and type tftp -i 555.555.555.555 GET configfile

(replace 555.555.555.555 with the tftp server IP, and configfile with the name of your configuration file)

DO NOT download any other config file except what you should be, or comcast might notice.

Final step is to download a docsdiag decoder program, which converts it from binary to human readable.

I use »docsis.sourceforge.net/

Command to issue is docsis.bat -d config_filename.cm

(replace config_filename.cm with your config file)

I do not work for comcast, I am just an underpaid college student who is frustrated with Comcast.

mig288
Premium Member
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288

Premium Member

Thanks for the info. My config file name is d11_m_sb6120_widebandblast_c01.cm. I'm not sure how to interpret these values and just wanted to share for educational purposes. BTW, I have the "extreme" 50/10 service.

MaxCPE 1;
UsServiceFlow
{
UsServiceFlowRef 1;
QosParamSetType 7;
SchedulingType 2;
ServiceClassName "extrm_up";
}
DsServiceFlow
{
DsServiceFlowRef 2;
QosParamSetType 7;
ServiceClassName "extrm_dn";
}

anon123
@198.178.8.x

anon123

Anon

said by mig288:

Thanks for the info. My config file name is d11_m_sb6120_widebandblast_c01.cm.
That's the correct bootfile for 50/10.

gwbuffalo
Mokena, IL

gwbuffalo to mloiterman

to mloiterman
Still stuck at the 2.1MB speeds while downloading. Come on Comcast, how hard can it be?
mloiterman
Chicago, IL

mloiterman

I'm still stuck too. At least the guy in New Jersey has the right config file. But, his speed to working correctly. Can someone in IL confirm that we have the right files? I will try to work on that a bit this weekend too.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

4 edits

EG to anon123

Premium Member

to anon123
said by anon123 :

said by mig288:

Wonder why the term "blast" is even used there.

Seems that can be a bit confusing..

I also wonder why the first part (d11) which in the past around here has been thought by many to signify a DOCSIS 1.1 registration with the CMTS, is still the same ?

If it did mean the registration, should it not now be d30 for DOCSIS 3.0 ?

Wonder if we've been incorrect about that all along, or did CC just overlook this in the naming convention of the new files ?

mig288
Premium Member
Cherry Hill, NJ

mig288

Premium Member

said by EG:

said by anon123 :

said by mig288:

Wonder why the term "blast" is even used there.

I also wonder why the first part (d11) which in the past around here has been thought by many to signify a DOCSIS 1.1 registration with the CMTS, is still the same ?

Wonder if we've been incorrect about that all along or did CC just overlook this in the naming convention of the new files ?
I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps the reason is because they haven't finalized the D3 spec and will ultimately provide end users with much higher bandwith as they work out the channel bonding with both the downstream and upstream. My modem only shows that I'm using 3 channels. It's really quite interesting!

Thoughts?

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

1 edit

netcool to EG

Premium Member

to EG
said by EG:

Wonder if we've been incorrect about that all along, or did CC just overlook this in the naming convention of the new files ?
I don't like the bootfile name either but it is correct for 50/10. It points at the extrm_dn and extrm_up service class names (someone posted the contents of the bootfile earlier in this thread.) The speeds are set on the CMTS for the extreme tier.

It's been explained to me that the d11 signifies what DOCSIS QoS version is being used.

»www.ittc.ku.edu/publicat ··· aran.pdf

Also see the Wikipedia entry for DOCSIS:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

I don't believe there have been any significant changes related to QoS in any of the subsequent DOCSIS releases.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by netcool:

It's been explained to me that the d11 signifies what DOCSIS QoS version is being used.
Well if that is indeed so, thank you for posting that info netcool See Profile

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to mloiterman

to mloiterman

(topic move) DOCSIS 3.0 in SW side of Chicago yet?

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »DOCSIS 3.0 in SW side of Chicago yet?

gwbuffalo
Mokena, IL

gwbuffalo to mloiterman

to mloiterman

Re: DOCSIS 3.0 Ultra/Extreme Problems in IL

Still capped at the slower speeds. I hope Comcast is going to give us all credits for this time period until they can get us the speeds they promised. I believe the difference is about $15 a month here between Blast! and Ultra.
mistical
join:2003-03-05
Chicago, IL

mistical to mloiterman

to mloiterman
Has anyone resolved this issue yet? I myself am having the same problem and no longer seem to be getting the help to resolve.
riser

riser to mloiterman

to mloiterman
Same problem,

I connected to the tftp and pulled the ultra config file to see that it actually does exist, and it does. There are several differences in the config file from speedextremetier2 and ultra, I dont understand why they aren't pushing the ultra config file to people with the ultra plan

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

jlivingood

Premium Member

I'll have my team take a look at this - we're aware of the issue. This sort of investigation normally takes some time, so in order to set expectations here, it may be longer than a day or two to figure this one out.

Jason
sportjeeptj
join:2009-02-02
Romeoville, IL

1 edit

sportjeeptj to mloiterman

to mloiterman
Add Romeoville to the list for the basic package too. Even though I'm not using DOCSIS 3.0 there are still issues with us lower tier guys. Getting 4Mb down when I should be getting 12. I'm getting the standard config file. I've had them out twice and they find nothing wrong with the line and I can't get anyone on the phone that knows what the config file is.