uniqs

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to joe01880

to joe01880

Re: Surround sound on FIOS?

Joe...

I don't think you can change anything on the diagnostic (Power / Select / Select) pages. AFAIK, it's info only.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

ive been in the service menu dozens of times and tweaked things and no issue...its pretty tough to totally screw yourself but im sure someone could if they tried hard enough

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

Dan...

I'm assuming you mean the setup menu you get to via the Power / Select / Menu sequence, not the diagnostic one, yes?

I've never been able to tweak anything in the one that has all the "dXX" listings.

stevec325
join:2008-09-16
Newtown, PA

stevec325 to manhattan123

to manhattan123
said by manhattan123:

Well I'm certainly not an expert, as was painfully obvious, but I guess it's because you're going from FIOS to AVR to TV as opposed to going FIOS to TV to AVR. As I noted in the OP, I set it up FIOS>TV>AVR as there are occasions I don't want to have to turn on the AVR and instead just use the TV's built-in speakers.
That must be it. I always use my AVR, so I have never tried putting TV in between.

Ill try that this weekend, just to see if I have issues
RichardH1
join:2008-03-05
Westfield, NJ

RichardH1 to Rattler

to Rattler
You only see the HDMI link to the second page if you have an HDMI cable going to the TV. Since your tv does not have an HDMI port, you can't see this in the menu.

VZ Tech
@verizon.net

VZ Tech to manhattan123

Anon

to manhattan123
Everyone also needs to realize that just because you have a Dolby system, the soundtrack of the show you're watching may only be laid down in stereo 2 channel.

Just my .02¢

stevec325
Newtown, PA

stevec325

In which case my AVR will apply PLIIx to "make" multichannel audio
manhattan123
join:2008-12-01
New York, NY

manhattan123 to VZ Tech

to VZ Tech
said by VZ Tech :

Everyone also needs to realize that just because you have a Dolby system, the soundtrack of the show you're watching may only be laid down in stereo 2 channel.

Just my .02¢
No, I realize some shows/channels aren't broadcast in Dolby. My problem was the original STB setting - the feed coming from the TV to the AVR wasn't 5.1 for any program, even shows I knew were in Dolby. But going through the hidden menu, as detailed above, I was able to change it to pass through in Dolby to the AVR. It was very fortunate that this board is available and has very helpful and knowledgeable folk who showed me how to do it. But I wish the Verizon techs would alert customers to the fact that depending on how they have their system set up (as my case FIOS to TV to AVR, which I'm guessing is a pretty common set-up) they won't get a Dolby experience without finding that damn hidden menu and changing the settings on the STB.

NullQwerty123
@verizon.net

NullQwerty123 to manhattan123

Anon

to manhattan123
Ok...Now I'm confused. Am I getting Dolby Digital 5.1? Or am I getting "simulated" 5.1 surround.

My receiver has a Dolby Digital light lit up and the ProLogic light lit up. I can turn off the ProLogic light by hitting a button on the receiver remote (Dolby Digital light stays on), but when I do, the voice tracks all go from my center speakers to the front surrounds. Also, I'm not getting any sound from any speakers other than the front surrounds. Even on HBO HD while watch "Live Free Or Die Hard" during an action sequence, which is definitely 5.1. If I switch back to ProLogic I hear it from all speakers appropriately.

My setup is component video cables to TV. Optical audio cable to receiver. That's it. My QIP6416-2 has the audio setting set to "Surround".

Should ProLogic be lit?

One note...I have found the surround on TV to be weak compared to DVD's...maybe it hasn't been set up right?!?!

Thanks!

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

I never seem to have a problem with the Dolby on HBO. What drives me nuts is ABC and NBC. I don't know if it's the air-heads at the local affiliates or the network feeds.

If I watch a prime time show, like LOST on ABC, the surround seems to work fine. Sometimes, when they switch to commercial, the sound comes out reverb from the main speakers and the rear surround speakers - the front center goes dead. The same thing happens during Jeopardy (on ABC's affiliate) except the whole show's audio is screwed up - I have to switch to analog to listen to it. The local news on the ABC channel is the same (CH-6, Phila., PA).

This, by the way, happens OTA on my ATSC HD tuner as well.

The other national feed show whose audio tanks, when I try to listen with the optical link, is Jay Leno (CH-10) - same thing very heavy reverb and I have to switch to analog. Also has the problem on the OTA tuner.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by Rattler:

I never seem to have a problem with the Dolby on HBO. What drives me nuts is ABC and NBC. I don't know if it's the air-heads at the local affiliates or the network feeds.

If I watch a prime time show, like LOST on ABC, the surround seems to work fine. Sometimes, when they switch to commercial, the sound comes out reverb from the main speakers and the rear surround speakers - the front center goes dead. The same thing happens during Jeopardy (on ABC's affiliate) except the whole show's audio is screwed up - I have to switch to analog to listen to it. The local news on the ABC channel is the same (CH-6, Phila., PA).

This, by the way, happens OTA on my ATSC HD tuner as well.

The other national feed show whose audio tanks, when I try to listen with the optical link, is Jay Leno (CH-10) - same thing very heavy reverb and I have to switch to analog. Also has the problem on the OTA tuner.
Don't have the problem with Philly ABC, but I know channel 10 (when they go local) don't broadcast Dolby 5.1, 2.1, or 2.0 because my AVR goes to pro-logic. They are the worst local channel when it comes to audio and HD - whenever they have to add a local scroll to a network broadcast they drop into 4:3 SD quality (graphics suck) and drop out of Dolby audio. Can't blame FiOS - it is the local idiots at the station.
RichardH1
join:2008-03-05
Westfield, NJ

RichardH1 to pvcleave3

to pvcleave3
As indicated earlier in this thread, I changed the additional HDMI settings to "Pass Through" and finally was getting digital 5.1 sound to my receiver. What I am finding now is that the HDMI setting in the hidden menu reverts frequently back to "Auto", and there goes my surround sound. This happens without me opening the hidden menu. It usually takes about a day or so for this to happen. Anyone have any ideas as to how this happens, and how I can prevent it. Sort of a pain in the neck to change the setting all the time.

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190 to sbob

Premium Member

to sbob
said by sbob:

I think pvcleave may be speaking of the "additional HDMI setting" option on the main page of the "hidden" setup menu. That will take you to another page where one of the options is "Audio Output". This can be set to Auto, L-PCM, or Pass-Through. Auto is the default setting. I assume that pvcleave set this to Pass-Through. I am work so I am speaking from memory buy I think that is how the menus are setup.
said by pvcleave3:

The "hidden" Setup menu (Power / Select / Menu) there is a way to go to another page. One of the choices gives you another page. I do not think the wording is very clear, but it is there.
OK I think I have a grasp on this, and it looks like my setup is good.

My Sony AVR has 3 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out. Right now I have the 3 ins as: DVD, HTPC, and DVD/VCR combo recorder. I have my FIOS DVR going straight HDMI to the TV (since the TV has only 2 HDMI in, one is from the FIOS STB, the other is from the Sony Receiver).

BUT, then I also have the FIOS DVR running a optical Toslink out to the Sony AVR.

So when I switch on the Sony and go to the proper input (in this case 'TV' ) I hear the FIOS DVR coming from my receiver's speakers. All is good, right?

I guess my question is do I still need to go into the hidden menu and mess around with settings to confirm I am getting true 5.1? On my receiver's display it normally scrolls & shows 2/1, so that has me thinking that's only 2.1 (now I am thinking have I ever seen it show 5/1)

I will listen at the rear surrounds and see if I hear sound coming out. Also, what show is definately in 5.1, so I can test? Do DVR recordings preserve 5.1?

Sorry for the noob questions, but honestly I don't even watch TV with the surround sound much(It's more for DVDs.), and when I do I hear sound coming from the center channel & sub so just thought everything worked.

stevec325
Newtown, PA

stevec325

Tune to a premium channel... if your AVR displays Dolby Digital, you are getting 5.1 to your AVR.