blips
join:2001-04-17
Addison, IL

1 edit

blips to noc3x

to noc3x

Re: Proof once and for all

said by noc3x :

While many people are looking at this as a "gotcha Comcast", I expect they are looking at it as "bring it on" to prove that they are not throttling based on any applications or services.

The Comcast management system in place is just a congestion management which prioritized average users over hogs in real time regardless of application.

I for one like the fact that my neighbors kid downloading tons of games and blue ray DVDs 7x24 gets a lower priority than my Vonage call without having to use DPI (just based on bandwidth usage).
How do you like the fact that Comcast is going to throttle your Vonage line?

»FCC Doesn't Like Comcast's New Treatment of VoIP
quote:
the FCC is surprised to learn that Comcast's new system impacts competiting VoIP products, but doesn't degrade the quality of Comcast's own Digital Voice service.

noc3x
@comcast.net

noc3x

Anon

said by blips:

How do you like the fact that Comcast is going to throttle your Vonage line?
This is nothing more than political spin. You could also say

•the 7x24 DVD home store downloader on your DSLAM is throttling your Vonage line. Although fair share congestion management actually helps this.
• your FiOS neighbors that are running VoD's is throttling your Roku netflix.
• your Uverse neighbor that is running 3 TVs with HD programming are throttling your Hulu

It's a slippery slope and there is not perfect solution. So far I think what is out there today is getting closer and better than last year.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Your reaching there. It is one thing to allow the laws of physics control the line. It is another thing to attempt to control the the line yourself.

The laws of physics will surely control the traffic 100% of the time. If too many people are on the system and it causes too many problems then user's leave the system freeing up the bandwidth and thus reducing the problems. The providers shouldn't be trying to figure out how to stuff more people in there by limiting the current ones. They should either expand their network, or allow it to naturally settle on X number of users.

noc3x
@comcast.net

noc3x

Anon

Heh... This has been happening with all carriers over the past 5+ years. It's called IP convergence and believe it or not, many carriers run this on the same physical network.