spc
uniqs
manhattan123
join:2008-12-01
New York, NY

manhattan123 to keyboards

to keyboards

Re: Surround sound on FIOS?

Great, thanks all for the feedback and info. It's annoying having to go this extra step, but at least it seems like it will be fairly simple to get around. (I wonder why they don't make the FIOS box so that it feeds out in 5.1 to the TV - they must know that a lot of people use home theater but have this same situation where they sometimes only want the sound coming out the tv speakers without always having to fire up the AVR every time.)

joe01880
join:2007-10-26
Wakefield, MA

4 edits

joe01880

said by manhattan123:

Great, thanks all for the feedback and info. It's annoying having to go this extra step, but at least it seems like it will be fairly simple to get around. (I wonder why they don't make the FIOS box so that it feeds out in 5.1 to the TV - they must know that a lot of people use home theater but have this same situation where they sometimes only want the sound coming out the tv speakers without always having to fire up the AVR every time.)
My system is a little older perhaps and i do not have the advantage of HDMI at my TV or H/T receiver. I use HDMI to DVI, no audio thru a DVI connection.

From the FiOS STB i use the RCA audio outputs to my tv. I also use the optical output from the FiOS STB to my Yamaha H/T Receiver.

I use a Harmony 670 remote, when i press watch TV it turns on my TV and the STB and the TV gets sound from the RCA outs thru the TV.

When i press Watch DVR-2 the Harmony remote turns on my TV, my STB and my Yamaha recevier and sound is now controlled thru the Yamaha and i get awesome 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound.
KenAF
join:2006-01-23
Arlington, VA

4 edits

KenAF to manhattan123

to manhattan123
said by manhattan123:

(I wonder why they don't make the FIOS box so that it feeds out in 5.1 to the TV
I explained this above.

On most TVs, the optical output is only to provide 5.1 surround audio output for the built in digital (ATSC/QAM) tuner. It is not meant as a pass-through for HDMI audio signals.

Only a small minority of TVs (less than 5%) can accept a 5.1 signal via HDMI and use that to produce sound for the TV speakers; in response to a 5.1 signal via HDMI, most TVs mute all audio and/or output a high-pitched screeching sound. Of those that can accept a 5.1 signal via HDMI, less than 10% can pass the DD5.1 signal (from HDMI) through the optical output on the TV. Of the few TVs that can accept a DD5.1 signal via HDMI, most downconvert that signal to stereo (2.0) for the TV speakers and the optical output.

That's why the HDMI specification provides the means for a device to request what kind of audio signal it needs, to override whatever is set by the user in settings.