uniqs
share rss forum feed

Willy
Premium
join:2000-09-24
USA
kudos:1

[Reception] Intermittent reception

I have Sirius installed in my car and had an odd thing happen Tuesday afternoon about 5:30.

The sound started going on and off very quickly.

It sounded like there was a loose connection from the satellite tuner to the car radio and didn't seem to mater if I was moving or not and happened on all stations that I tried.
It lasted about 30 min and then it was fine and is still fine 2 days later.

The radio played AM & FM fine.

I've lost signal before but I never heard the sound flicker like this.

Is it possible that a bad broadcast signal caused what I heard and it's not a connection or equipment problem?

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
could have. i remember a year or so back, XM had a problem with newly updated software to one if not both Sats in orbit. major issues. reception was very poor until they got it fixed.
--
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and i'm all outta bubblegum.

Willy
Premium
USA
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't sure if a poor signal could make and break the sound as fast as it did.
I found if I pulled the most of the way into the garage I can move my hand back and forth over the antenna and the sound does go off and on pretty quickly.

Also it hasn't happened again so I assume it wasn't in the car.

I wanted to get this figured out ASAP because we're driving from NJ to FL soon. It's a long drive without the satellite radio.

greenacres

join:2003-03-13
Manchester, MD
Any more word on this? I still am getting the XM radio cutting out now and then like it's a reception problem? And it cuts out in places and times that it never did before. Any ideas? Sure is a pain. Thanks

Willy
Premium
USA
said by greenacres:

Any more word on this? I still am getting the XM radio cutting out now and then like it's a reception problem? And it cuts out in places and times that it never did before. Any ideas? Sure is a pain. Thanks
For me, it hasn't happened again so it must have been something, clouds, rain, something very unusual between me and the sattilites that caused the problem.

denb45
Premium
join:2001-02-04
Albuquerque, NM

1 edit
I just installed the Sirius XM Sportster 5 in my Car, and the terrestrial signal has no bars, but the Sat-signal has all full-bars, Sirius XM must be working on the repeaters nation-wide, a friend of mine in Nor-Cal has the same problem as well, also notice some drop-outs in signal under cloudy & overcast sky's today while out riding around testing things out........
--
Gateway® DX4200-UB101A AMD Phenom™ X3 8400 Triple-Core 2.1 GHz*2 3600 MHz system bus AMD RS780 chipset 6 GB 667 MHz D Windows Vista™ Ultimate(64-bit)SP1

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Willy
Haven't had any problems with XM here in North Central Florida. I've got the XM aftermarket kit installed in my Sat ready factory radio, so no signal meter and no way to tell if I'm using a "repeater" although I don't think they have any here anyway. Maybe it has something to do with that "big" announcement somebody posted about the other day.
--
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. XM

Willy
Premium
USA
The problem I was having was over a month ago and it hasn't happened since.
The oddest thing that happens to me is a complete drop out for 4 or 5 blocks in a certain street.

I know the location doesn't mean anything to anyone but on Rt19A in Seminole, FL between 62nd Ave and 66th Ave (+/-) I'll lose signal. Always, 100% of the time, and yet there's nothing visually different in that area than the rest of Rt19A for 20 miles in either direction.