M Willner
Premium
join:2006-05-12
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to debgcd

Re: SLOW to get Insight services back up after ice storm

said by debgcd :

I want the services I pay for and depend upon and until I see an Insight service truck actually out there on the road this weekend I do not believe that they are actually even attempting to restore services. I think they are just waiting for regular work week hours and warmer weather. I have noticed that whenever service goes down on a Friday or Saturday nothing happens until Monday or later.
Nothing could be further from the truth. Our staff has been working 24/7 to repair damages, maintain generators, answer questions and restore service as soon as power is restored and conditions are safe. As I mentioned on my blog today, »www.michaelsinsight.com/2009/02/···202.html our plant worked miraculously well under very extreme circumstances. Most customers had their cable, Internet and phone service the moment their power came back on.

Our extremely dedicated (and very tired) staff truly appreciates seeing the kind words of thanks and understanding from our customers who realize how difficult recovering from something like this is.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
reply to debgcd
A good amount of cable MSO'S lines are ran overhead on poles just because it is cheaper to get pole permits from the electric company than to mess with going underground. The sheer size of the ice storm and amount of trees fallen which in turn took down tons of lines, snapped poles, ect, is pretty crazy. There are still people in SE Missouri without power, and ameren has something like 4k plus people working on it. If insight had lines on any poles that where snapped, they have to wait for the power company to put new poles up before they can even think of getting new lines ran.

You cant really compare this storm to previous outages, and it sounds like insight is doing their best to safely return service to people as quickly as possible.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
In one KY town - 300 poles were snapped - going to take awhile to get them back up...

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to debgcd
I think what Greg_z was trying to say is that you can live without your NETZ, TV, and phone for a few days. The only thing that you really need in this day and age is a phone. Do you not own a cell phone?
--
Do or do not, there is no try! - Yoda

wenter99
Alpha Male
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Albuquerque, NM
said by The Limit:

...The only thing that you really need in this day and age is a phone...
It is? What is your definition of "need"?

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to debgcd
I am also in Louisville, KY. Insight covers alot of the North Central part of KY. You have to think they dont have massive crews like LG&E and are not able to call in back up like LG&E. Cable is a luxury. Be glad you got power back and are not freezing. I know its a pain to be without internet but I would rather have power first, than nothing at all.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to debgcd
said by debgcd :

Dear Greg, please do feel free to toss out your computer, phone and TV and have "more fun." No sense living in the modern era and being unhappy eh? Me.. I want the services I pay for and depend upon and until I see an Insight service truck actually out there on the road this weekend I do not believe that they are actually even attempting to restore services. I think they are just waiting for regular work week hours and warmer weather. I have noticed that whenever service goes down on a Friday or Saturday nothing happens until Monday or later.
That is the silliest thing I've read in a long time, like a child stamping his feet because Insight is purposely withholding *your* services.

I would imagine there are other things in line that are much more important and need tending to long before they get to "the services you pay for".
--
1/20/09 The Beginning of the End

12,673 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

The Limit
Premium
join:2007-09-25
Greensboro, NC
kudos:2
reply to wenter99
As in an emergency.

HarleyDude

join:2002-01-04
Kennett Square, PA
reply to cooldude9919
Not entirely true. Utility placement guidelines are "Zoned" just like property use. There are zoning rules for underground as well as aerial. Under the zoning rules, you can't place UG cables in an aerial zoned easement.
--
"Republicans believe Democrats are wrong. Democrats believe Republicans are evil." - Charles Krauthamer

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
reply to NotATreeHugger
Thats why we should burry the lines, for storms like this, then all u have to worry about is it getting dug up, which prollyt wouldent happen this time of the year.

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH
reply to M Willner
then mike, why dont u guys go and burry ur lines, to prevent these issues

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
A lot higher cost in a relatively poor state.

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH
yes but they wouldent be blowing the cash they are now to work overtime fixing all this, u gotta think long term savings vs short term cost.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
You do understand that if the power poles were taken down then the facilities would also likely have no power. They would also have to convince the power company to bury their lines as well.

And they would have to jack up their prices to cover the cost and in a relatively poor state - that could very well cause people to not use the service.

You can't just look at one side of it and say it is a no brainer.