Search similar:

uniqs

flipinnh
join:2003-07-23
Atkinson, NH

flipinnh to Justcode

to Justcode

Re: Fairpoint switched over Verizon's alias names not username

Does anyone have the ftp login for fairpoint?

Verizon's use to be mysite.verizon.net to upload files.
But that seems to be taken down today!!!

BOGBS
Premium Member
join:2004-05-11

BOGBS to Tim712

Premium Member

to Tim712
said by Tim712 :

Fairpoint has had plenty of time to work out a rollover plan, test it, and make sure it was going to go smoothly. Good any good IT technician knows to test EVERYTHING thoroughly before implementing it. I'm glad I canceled my home DSL and went to cable before Fairpoint took over. Not impressed.
I don't work for FairPoint, but I'm in a closely related industry. It doesn't sound like you've worked in mass telecommunications. They may have had plenty of time, but there are certain things that you cannot possibly anticipate, when you plan performing a mass transition. You can only test so much, and it's guaranteed that something will be missed. The company has hundreds of thousands of data customers, millions of lines, and who knows how many e-mail accounts/aliases.

I can't even tell you how many times that I've gone to deploy, or upgrade equipment, and something unexpected has come up. I work on long haul lines generally, but it's equated to the same deal. You plan out for all items that you can think of, as a group, and deal with unexpected ones, or roll back. In this case, FairPoint cannot simply roll back.

FairPoint is also trying to transition from hundreds of Verizon systems to less than 100. Who knows how many undocumented e-mail aliases went through, during Bell Atlantic and Verizon's management. This is just the least of their problems, although very important.

You can plan and test all you want, but no major migration will go completely smooth. If e-mail and DNS issues go on for days, then something is truly wrong.

I would expect someone in IT to know the magnitude of this transition, or at least admit that errors would be expected. Maybe this will show people/companies how vulnerable their setups are. I'm sure that some will just blame it on FairPoint, and think an ISP change will solve all (until the same issue reoccurs).

I'm no super FairPoint fan, but how well did the Adelphia transitions go? It seems like they are at least trying, and hopefully are quick to pick up/resolve new issues. I'm not trying to make anyone's point moot, but it just gets me going me that people complain, without knowing the magnitude of what is at hand. I guess that's my fault, since I'm in the industry.

All that I'm trying to say is that it's in FairPoint's utmost interest to do their best. They aren't actively trying to lose customers here, no matter what anyone thinks. The inconvenience is not good, but just stay as calm as you can, and give it a chance. Getting mad/upset doesn't do you anyone any good. Just call in, and if you're not helped in a timely manner, keep escalating the issue until it is resolved.

/rant over
Nafets3
join:2003-08-20

Nafets3 to flipinnh

to flipinnh
said by flipinnh:

Does anyone have the ftp login for fairpoint?

Verizon's use to be mysite.verizon.net to upload files.
But that seems to be taken down today!!!
The new FTP address for ex-Verizon Fairpoint is; home.myfairpoint.net

User and password logins are the same as what you used with Verizon...

flipinnh
join:2003-07-23
Atkinson, NH

flipinnh

Thanks Nafets,

Did our web space address change also??
Nafets3

2 edits

Nafets3

said by flipinnh:

Thanks Nafets,

Did our web space address change also??
It's now home.myfairpoint.net/~username

I only use the web space for holding pictures I need displayed from in other websites like eBay or online forums.

After uploading the file to the /public directory, linking to the picture as home.myfairpoint.net/username/whatever.jpg works great...

I'm not sure what functionality you are getting from the web space, but for my simple usage it works just fine as it did with Verizon.

greebs
@myfairpoint.net

greebs to kep112

Anon

to kep112

Re: I got my email address changed

kep.. I have tried this method over and over but it always says to "retry" and then it says "wait" before going right back to the retry page again. I can't seem to get the yellow bar that has the ActiveX download button on it. Did you have this problem?...If so, how did you finally get through?..Did you just keep trying and finally it worked??? ....I've neglected to call tech support because I know I'll get aggravated by the whole process..Would love to get straightened out without that hassle..Any info might help...thank you for taking the time to get back to me...greebs
pcme2000
join:2008-01-17
Bangor, ME

pcme2000 to Justcode

to Justcode

I have the same problem. I have 2 accounts both with weird lettes and numbers instead of the names that are suppose to be on them. Thanks to your post i guess i better now call Fairpoint also.

joe montini
@megamailservers.com

joe montini to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode

New Email service is better

I like the new email service, it seems to be a big improvement over the last one. Although changing the settings was irritating.

Justcode
@myfairpoint.net

Justcode to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode

I am so glad I posted this problem, After several days and talking to 3 different tech support persons at FairPoint I got a few answers and they are not pretty... First of, as you all know, they screwed up many accounts. The reason I was finally given is that the names got moved over and a lot of the Primary Account names were created using the 'vze...' prefix instead of the email friendly name we all chose. This is screwing up the servers that they are unable to edit or make changes to the accounts. My account has one of these 'vze...' names as the primary account name which they are blaming on most of the issues. They said once they get rid of the verizon alias names they can go in and straighten up the accounts. Right now they are unable to make account changes because of this issue.

Having one of these accounts, they did move over 2 of my email account but both are using the 'vze' numbers instead of my email names. The other one was transfer ed fine but that one has an 'res' account name hooked to it. The last one they cannot find in the system but it also has a website attached to that account and they stated that because they were unable to make changes to the account they could not move that account over.

Bottom line, there is a lot of us in the same boat and they ARE aware of the issue. I also got from one of them is they used a third party company to do the transfer and they just plain screwed up (not sure if that is true, though..) The last person I talked to last night said their projected timeline for a fix of the 'vze' issue will be by Thursday the 5th. By then they should have the primary account issues fixed and they can begin to fix the mess once the system allows them to do so. I was told to check my account then, and if it is still screwed up, call them.

Also he stated that because of this issue the website moving was put on hold (cause the accounts are screwed up) and they will not be working on moving any more till the 6th of Feb. It will be at least a week or two to get them all up and running and not until the 18th (I think). Once they move all of them over and they are active, they will give us ftp access instructions. He could not get into any details until it was done but he said it will be different from the way Verizon did it. So expect not having ftp access until the 18th or so.

Another issue with them is that my sent folder has not been moved over nor most of the emails sent in December. I was able to login to my Verizon/yahoo account up until last night. Now they all direct me to go to FairPoint. So a lot of my emails and saved pages may be lost forever due to the fact I can not access the account to move the emails over manually myself. I do hope they resolve that issue once they get this one fixed and sync up the files so we have them all.

I'll post back if I get more information from them,
Good luck all!

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH

tschmidt

MVM

Thanks for the update. Be nice if they post transition information info on the MyFairPoint web site.

Sure am glad I don't use ISP email address for anything important.

/tom

MT42
@myfairpoint.net

MT42 to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode
When I tried to log-in to the new FairPoint site, it tells me my password is invalid!?!? Anyone else having any issues with this? And when I click on the icon for "Live Chat Support" it says I am #4 in the queue and should be replied to within 1 minute... It's now been over an hour and a half! Booo FairPoint

Lavi
@myfairpoint.net

Lavi to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode
The biggest gripe I have is there is NO communication regarding this problem is happening to everyone and what will be done about it. There was a small article on WMUR news (web page) but it did not give you any info what and when it will be fixed. Mine has been down since Saturday. Forget about calling and live tech chat! I have tried that for 2 days and just busy.
My question is do they really think we are suppose to try and fix this problem ourselves? I don't have a clue where to start. The only thing I tried to do is log in Fair Point and it would not take my pass word.
Whewww! Ok, so when the problem is corrected, will we be able to just log on? Will all our e-mails still be there from Saturday? What good is paying for Fios if you cannot even use the e-mail?
Thanks for letting me vent!
Lavi
Nafets3

3 edits

Nafets3 to MT42

to MT42
said by MT42 :

When I tried to log-in to the new FairPoint site, it tells me my password is invalid!?!? Anyone else having any issues with this? And when I click on the icon for "Live Chat Support" it says I am #4 in the queue and should be replied to within 1 minute... It's now been over an hour and a half! Booo FairPoint
What are you trying to log-in to? There are three different things.

Welcome, Sign-In (customizing myfairpoint.net webpage)
Webmail (accessing Fairpoint webmail)
Manage Account (customizing e-mail accounts and web space)

You should be using vzexxxxx@myfairpoint.net (Your primary old Verizon account name) and password for all three.

Obviously if your primary account from Verizon wasn't ported over to Fairpoint properly, that is probably to blame as to your log-in issues. Hopefully it will be corrected soon. With any luck the adage "time cures all" applies here.

I haven't had any problems logging into any of the three listed above...

Although it's not unreasonable that we're having these issues, it is extremely poor business practice that Fairpoint's customer service (what of it there is) is severely lacking in providing proper and useful assistance.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

I am still unable to log into MyFairPoint.net manage account under either vze... or alias email address.

The good news is mail addressed to either vze... or alias is getting delivered correctly and mail sent to Verizon is forwarded correctly.

/tom

MT42
@myfairpoint.net

MT42 to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode
I've tried all 3 areas, but all 3 fail. It's not saying my username is invalid, just my password, so I don't think it's an issue of putting "vze" or whatever in front of my email address. Could they have frogged up my password in the conversion? Anyone else having issues with just the password? (BTW, I ran the FairPoint recommended conversion steps where it goes into your Outlook Express and auto'ly changes everything)... And now it says (and I'm not kidding) #464 on the queue!

SueRR
@myfairpoint.net

SueRR to greebs

Anon

to greebs

greebs - did you get the ActiveX download? This happened to me and it was the security(Norton.) You may need to tell your security to allow the download.

Justcode
@myfairpoint.net

Justcode to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode

When people are saying use your vzexxxxx@myfairpoint.net name to login, they do not mean prefix 'vze' to your normal username@myfairpoint.net. They mean Verizon assigned a number to your username (alias), use that to logon. It will be a number starting with 'vze' like: vze123ab@myfairpoint.net. Also some of the accounts may also start with 'resxxxxx' so use that instead. When you were getting emails about the changeover, the email was sent to the 'vze' or 'res' address. It should be at the bottom of the email page stating the account they sent it to.

FairPoint is trying to flush these 'vze' names from the system and setup the accounts with your real username and having issues doing so. I'm sure they will get this fixed eventually before they start to lose customers. Give it till Thursday, then call them. Once you get the number to ring, you will be on hold for a little under an hour.

Also, you have to use your master account name to logon to 'manage your account', for the webmail and portal logons, you can use any of your sub accounts (it is customized to that username)

ScottSt
@seg.net

ScottSt to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode
I am a business DSL customer of Verizon and was never informed at all of this transistion. I still have Internet access (thank God), but they didn't port my DNS PTR record, so most of my outbound email is being dropped or bounced becasue reverse lookups fail to find anything.
I have no idea at this time how my business we are loosing because our customers don't get our emails.
I've tried to call the Tech support line many many times but always get a busy signal. I have tried the Live Support online several times, and it does show I'm in a queue and lowers the counter a couple times then freezes ... leaving the same count for over an hour and eventually the window goes blank then says it lost the connection ... I think they are just being overwhelmed!
As someone else said, time heals all, but I'm loosing business here and all for something that should take all of 1 minute for them to fix, but I just can't get through!

MT42
@myfairpoint.net

MT42 to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode
For what it's worth to anyone else in my shoes (see above), I somehow miraculously got thru to the Live Chat, and all I can say is, don't bother! they can't answer anything considered "private info" which is just about everything when it comes to your email account. The only useful info I got from them was that they couldn't find my account in their system! Great, I log on to Verizon, and they say my account is suspended as of 1/31/09 (the FairPoint conversion date). So I go to FairPoint, and they can't find my account! I am so impressed....

greebs
@myfairpoint.net

greebs to SueRR

Anon

to SueRR

Sue...Thanks for the great suggestion to disable whatever was blocking my ActiveX download in my Norton anti virus, however that was not my problem apparently because I finally figured out how to change over manually without touching my Norton. I have Microsoft Outlook Express. I opened it up and went to tools then to accounts and then clicked the properties button. I opened the servers tab and changed my incoming server to mail.myfairpoint.net From there I changed the outgoing server to mail.myfairpoint.net..Make sure to hit ok at the bottom when both are changed..2/3 done....Next go to the "general" tab...click on it and change your email address to ....username@myfairpoint.net...click ok at the bottom and you should be in business...go to your email and see if it starts coming through ....good luck to all who try this. Seemed to have worked for me

kb richard
@myfairpoint.net

kb richard to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode

the test settings in outlook will/might show a fail but if you exit out of tools and try email it will/might work.

be sure where you use the .my of myfairpoint

keep trying

complain to your public service board. It will reflect on a rate increase request in the future maybe.

CoaCoaNutt
@myfairpoint.net

CoaCoaNutt to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode
My experience with PowerPoint live chat

»i184.photobucket.com/alb ··· ting.jpg

»i184.photobucket.com/alb ··· cted.jpg
CoaCoaNutt

CoaCoaNutt to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode
right after i screen shotted i got disconnected from my chat with "wilson". i had been waiting for 10 minutes, this is getting tiresome

jilocasin
@myfairpoint.net

jilocasin to Beth F

Anon

to Beth F
Beth,

Live chat only works if someone answers.

It's 08:35 PM and Fairpoint phone support says "Due to unexpectedly high call volume we are currently unable to answer your call..." and then it hangs up.

'Unexpectedly high' ?@#!$%?

FairPoint Live Chat, first time I tried it said the expected hold time was under 1 minute. It stayed that way for over an hour until it closed itself. Trying again it now says;
"You are currently in queue for FairPoint online chat support, your request for support will be handled in the order it was received." It's been about an hour.

Got FairPoint's little red folder warning of the upcoming apocalypse several weeks ago. The web site it directed you to didn't actually work until a couple of days ago.

FairPoint took over Verizon, apparently they didn't bother to notice the little fact that Verizon gives every one a vz.... account name and directs you to create 1 or more email aliases (i.e. f.rubble2@verizon.net).

Verizon email address != vz..@verizon.net
f.rubble2@verizon.net != f.rubble2@myfairpoint.net

email -> big bit bucket in the sky.

small businesses that were using verizon.net's SMTP servers (since Verizon all but forced DSL accounts to use their SMTP servers) also -> big bit bucket in the sky.

No notice to affected customers.
No support for affected customers.

Apparently FairPoint's solution to massive FUBAR is to disconnect the support phones and avoid the Live Chat.

Yep that works....

They can tell the PUC that the number of customers complaining has dropped steadily since list weekend... cause we have stop answering our phones.

Are there any other decent DSL providers in Maine?

(former Bell Atlantic DSL customer).
tgrek
Premium Member
join:2008-11-15
Atkinson, NH

tgrek to MT42

Premium Member

to MT42
I have experienced the same problems logging in to Fairpoint and was unsuccessful talking to any support folks. When I logged back in to the »webmail.verizon.net, I noticed on the upper right hand side of the page is the vz***** number which ended up being my login@myfairpoint.net. Once I used that number, I was able to log into the site and after a some time was able to send and receive email. However, I could not send anything to any of my contacts at AOL. AOL rejected the email as spam from Fairpoint. Also, most of my friends deleted my email because they didn't know who vze*****@my fairpoint.net was, I mean it just looks like spam.

Logging into the site is a trip too. Once you're logged into myfairpoint.net, you'd think you could go anywhere within the site but no, you need to log in again to get web mail.

Also when using the Verizon account, I had access to MSN and free McAfee but now it looks like it's an extra fee.

Comcast offers it with their package

Mike63
@myfairpoint.net

Mike63 to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode
What a horrible job fairpoint is doing with their customer service, we should have the right to stay with verizon if we wish to do so.
Its nice to be forced to do business with an inferior company. Fairpoint(unitel) clearly dropped the ball in all cases.

They should have a deal with verizon to maintain the verizon email accounts indefinitely for all who where switched(so no harm would be done)

Then offer better service incentives to get accounts to switch over to the Fairpoint.net mail of their own choice.

In most every case when services are switched from on company to another the consumer suffers

Justcode
@myfairpoint.net

Justcode to MT42

Anon

to MT42
I had the same issue with my verizon with yahoo account link. Verizon says they will allow you to read your emails up till April 30th and all emails are being forwarded to fairpoint.

This is what the page said when you logged into Verizon.net:

You have been identified as a FairPoint Communications Internet subscriber. Please visit www.myfairpoint.net to learn more about FairPoint's Internet products and services.

IMPORTANT: All messages sent to your verizon.net email address are being automatically forwarded to your new myfairpoint.net address. This forwarding will continue until April 30th. You can continue to access your Verizon Webmail account to view stored messages until March 1st. To do so, please visit »webmail.verizon.net

However, when you log into webmail.verizon.net you are directed to a yahoo logon page if you are using verizon/yahoo email, when you sign in there you get a dead end page stating, verizon pulled the plug on your yahoo account so you are SOL ( I thought). On the page that yahoo puts up, it gives you a number for the Verizon member support line. I don't remember the 800 number, but it is there. I called them up and answered 'I don't know' on all the questions the computer asked about your account(important), until I got to a live person.

Once I got to a live tech person I explained I was with fairpoint and that their site said I would have access to my emails until April 30th, but my verizon/yahoo account has been disabled prematurely. She said it was not a big problem and re-activated my account and sub account right there, so I can access my old email. From phone call to results took about 5 minutes... (wow)

Once I got access back, I moved over all the emails they failed to move over to my fairpoint inbox. pretty much all of January was not moved. All email after Feb 1 is already being delivered to the new account and not going to verizon account.

So once you get the email back on, forward all of your important stuff to either fairpoint or another email account, because you don't know when yahoo may shut it back down and delete it. Also copy anything over they did not do.
Hope this helps a few people who are frustrated as I am.

MMB
@rr.com

MMB to CoaCoaNutt

Anon

to CoaCoaNutt
Haha you're chatting with THE boxxy? What is that like?

Stryder
@myfairpoint.net

Stryder to Justcode

Anon

to Justcode

Re: Fairpoint switched over Verizon's - web space not moved

I was able to log into ftp.myfairpoint.net ok using my primary username. As you stated, the /public sub-dir is empty since the FP guys have not moved over any web file form mysite.verizon.net yet (as of 5-Feb-2009). I guess I'll check in a couple weeks. Good luck everyone. -Stryder

CoaCoaNutt
@myfairpoint.net

CoaCoaNutt to MMB

Anon

to MMB

lol its interesting