spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

binglax09

@verizon.net

Using Westell 327W with Fairpoint

Ok well as some of you know that verizon sold there DSL to Fairpoint communication here in Maine.

WELL, since I have a 327W it wont let me use it with fairpoint. It was working fine till I did a reset since I forgot my password and now, no matter what I do I can't get it to work without receiving the Verizon activation page!

The Verizon activation page is fine BUT since now im a Fairpoint customer it says to contact them instead of verizon since I can't log-in to verizon activation.

The only way around this is to set up a PPPoE and connect through the Ethernet cable only.

What's the deal here? I can't get around this!

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

I don't know what are the fairpoint requirements. However, your 327w can do PPPoE. And if it works with ethernet, it should also work with WiFi.

I am using a Verizon version 327w on an AT&T dsl network. The chances are that you can use yours with fairpoint. You will need to know your PPPoE account login and password, and Fairpoint should be able to tell you that. You will need to know the VPI/VCI settings to use. Your modem will default to 0/35 (the verizon settings), and I would guess that Fairpoint is using the same for continuity with existing customers. But it would be a good idea to ask.

If Verizon provided some setup software on your computer, that might not work. But if you connect to the 327w with ethernet, point your browser to "http://192.168.1.1" you should be able to configure the PPPoE settings required. The modem might also insist that you provide a modem administrative password.
--
AT&T dsl; Westell 327w modem/router; openSuSE 11.0; firefox 3.0.5

binglax09

@verizon.net
reply to binglax09

Ive gone over and over with PPPoE settings on the 327W.

8/35 jams everything up so it's probably safe to say Fairpoint is using 0/35.

It just defualts to the verizon activation page every time. UNLESS I set up a PPPoE connection on my Mac with my user name @verizon.net inserted.

I don't see why setting PPPoE in the 327W wont work though?

It was working perfect before the reset...

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

We have a Fairpoint Forum. If you would like me to move your topic there for some help, I can do that. Let me know.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

reply to binglax09

With sale of VT/NH/ME to Fairpoint need to makes changes to email and Usenet but nothing changes as far as PPPoE login.

Same applies to ATM settings. VPI/VCI are 0:35 same as Verizon

Here is info on disabling the router's "walled garden."
»Re: [ex-GTE] Question about the ex-GTE West region

Once you do that you will be able to enter user ID (email address) and Passphase. Credentials are same as you use to access email. If you have forgotten passphase will need to call FairPoint tech support, 800.240.5019.

/tom

binglax09

@verizon.net
reply to binglax09

Yeah, sure that would be great although I think it's 327W dependent not Fairpoint.

binglax09

@verizon.net
reply to binglax09

Thanks! I came across that earlier but it didnt bring anything up for some reason. BUT when I just tried it again it worked flawlessly. I knew it had something do to with the router and not the ISP since my 6100 would work fine.

I will have to give Fairpoint a call and let them know. I was one of the first people to call Fairpoint with this issue today since Verizon JUST switched over their customer service when I called in on Saturday.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9

Good luck.

Let us know how things turn out. Will help others in the same predicament.

/tom

reply to binglax09

If you still have the installation CD, look for a Westell diagnostics program. I ran mine, (I have a 327A) it says I have no carrier. I can't get through to support -- phone is busy and "LiveChat" never seems to work properly. It either fails to initialize or simply hangs.

No idea why FairPoint cut-over caused the carrier to drop.

Marckus0513
Just Because

join:2003-01-11
Vernon, VT
reply to binglax09

The problem you are describing is not a Fairpoint problem. Verizon put a Walled Garden in all of their modems and it is a pain if you do a reset and do not know how to disable it.

First things first....

Is the DSL light solid? Is your username and password correct (username is just the first part and does not include the @verizon.net part)? If all these are yes and you keep getting the Verizon activation page it is the Walled garden.

1) Goto 192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm
in your browser.

2) Click the 'off' or 'disable' button and
wait for the page to refresh and the button
to show 'on' or 'enable'

3) Power cycle the modem, dont' push the reset

4) You should be able to browse the web.

5) If this didn't work try it again.

Hope that helped....

Mark

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to binglax09

Here's a FAQ on how to turn off Verizon's Walled Garden:

»Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How to Turn off the Walled Garden