All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BusterBluth
join:2008-12-22

BusterBluth

Slow speeds

I have had major problems with slow speeds after installing the Actiontec router. I get slow speeds on all computers regardless of being wired or wireless. I previously had the default D-Link which worked wonderfully. I have one PC wired, one Mac wireless, and one PC wireless. I am leaning towards cancelling my Fios internet and renewing my service shortly after cancelling. The only reason I would do this is because my speeds only became slow after installing the new router. I even tried installing a friend's D-Link router which yielded the same slow speeds. Basically, I want a fresh start. I know this is something I should not have to do, however I have exhausted every possible resource and if this doesn't work I have no clue what to do. Even Verizon replacing the internet box had no effect.

My question is will cancelling the service and getting it again basically do a big reset on my internet, possibly fixing any problems? Or will Verizon just turn my internet off and then turn it back on?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Try to reboot the ONT. Just for grins and giggles, shut off the router first.

Unplug the BBU power supply. You may hear the BBU go into alarm mode.

Open the BBU to expose the battery. Remove a wire from the battery terminal. Wait a couple of minutes, not seconds, but minutes.

Reconnect the wire to the battery terminal. Close the BBU battery cover.

Plug in the BBU power supply.

Turn on the router again. See what difference it made.

If no difference, post back with details of service tier and speedtest results on a wired connection. Don't worry about wireless until wired is good first. What D-Link router model did you have, and is it different than the D-Link from your friend?

Be prepared to log in to the router to look for several things, including first two WAN IP address octets.

Use »myspeed.visualware.com/ for speedtest. Select the nearest server to you.
BusterBluth
join:2008-12-22

BusterBluth

Thanks for the reply birdfeedr.

I rebooted the ONT and the speed has remained the same using the speed test in your post. I am paying for 5 download and 2 upload. I am getting around 1.5 download and 1.8 upload. I have a QOS of 62%. Another test right after the first gave a QOS of 52%.

When I first got Fios I was given the D-Link DI-624 and now have the default Actiontec. My friend has the DIR-655.

One other thing I think I should mention is that when I had the D Link DI-624 I was getting a different IP address and recommended server on speedtest.net than I am now. The IP address I have now starts with 173. I live near Washington DC. Immediately after installing the Actiontec about a month ago, speedtest.net said my recommended server was Kansas City, MO. About 1 week ago speedtest.com gave me a recommended server of Ashburn Virginia. I believe others on this forum have also gotten this weird issue. I am not sure if this issue is related to my slow speed.

Could you please tell me where to find the first two WAN IP addresses in the router settings?

Thanks