All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
leer
join:2005-06-28
Beverly Hills, CA

leer

[Sci-Fi] Star Trek - Bathrooms - How do they go pee and poo?

For all you star trek fans.

Ok so they can replicate food, but how do they go poo and pee?

A Co worker brought that question up today at work. My only explanation is that they beam it out.

I've seen a sonic shower on voyager once, but what about the potty?

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

2 recommendations

FutureMon

Re: [Sci-Fi] Star Trek - Bathrooms - How do they go pee and poo

Where do you think the food replicators get their raw materials?

- FM

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to leer

Premium Member

to leer
And if there is some sort of waste-room, what makes us think that a Earth-like potty is sufficient for an alien from another world who pees caustic acid? Inquiring minds want to know.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to leer

Premium Member

to leer
Name 10 TV shows where the characters go to the bathroom. They hardly ever do!

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

1 recommendation

lotusracer

Premium Member

said by Bobcat79:

Ha, the T in TARDIS doesn't stand for Toilet!

SRFireside
join:2001-01-19
Houston, TX

SRFireside to leer

to leer
There are bathrooms on the Enterprise. Blueprints and such show normal toilets. FutureMon is correct on the raw materials side for ST:TNG and beyond. From what I remember they do have stock raw materials for the majority of replicated food and stuff, but they also recycle waste and reintegrate it. Makes sense considering what you pooped and peed was at one time something you ate (sans the stuff your body processed).

The original Star Trek series didn't replicate food. They had real ingredients stored on ship to make their food. No idea what they did with their poop, though. Anybody out there who can elaborate on Kirk's potty results?

Tenar
join:2008-01-02
Midland, ON

1 recommendation

Tenar to leer

to leer
I heard they only have one bathroom
»enterpriserestroom.ytmnd.com/

nixen
Rockin' the Boxen
Premium Member
join:2002-10-04
Alexandria, VA

1 recommendation

nixen to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
said by FutureMon:

Where do you think the food replicators get their raw materials?

- FM
If it's good enough for the Fremen...

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake to leer

MVM

to leer
Pick up the Star Trek: TNG Technical manual. It'll amaze you with some of the detail they put into the thought and layout of the ship. I think it was published with one or two seasons left to go in TNG and some of the items created for the manual were incorporated into the story lines.

That said, there is a "head" (Navy speak for restroom) on the bridge of the Enterprise D. If you are looking from the viewscreen toward the Captain's chair, there is a door obscured to your 10 o'clock which leads to the head.

Also, on the first season of Enterprise, the question was asked of the crew by a school child. I remember it distinctly because Trip paused recording the answer and said something like "A poop question?"

Excrement just isn't exciting enough to make the main plot for any single show

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to leer

Premium Member

to leer
This was made fun of in First Contact.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to leer

Premium Member

to leer
Babylon 5 made a point of having at least one scene in a restroom, like every season.
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

1 edit

Spice300 to SRFireside

Premium Member

to SRFireside
said by SRFireside:

The original Star Trek series didn't replicate food. They had real ingredients stored on ship to make their food. No idea what they did with their poop, though. Anybody out there who can elaborate on Kirk's potty results?
I think Star Trek TOS has matter replicators and use them to disintegrate waste and reassemble it into other things including food. At any rate once matter replicators are available on the star ships they are used to recycle all waste.

In Star Trek: Enterprise: s1e08 Breaking the Ice (2001) (they discover a comet) Trip answered a question from a student on this subject. He said the organic waste is reduced by some chemical reaction (polymer deconstruction?) and the result is used to make useful things such as tools. He did not say it was used to make food. I can not remember his exact wording.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to leer

Premium Member

to leer
All this sh!t turned to food is making me hungry.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon to Spice300

to Spice300
said by Spice300:

In Star Trek: Enterprise: s1e08 Breaking the Ice (2001) (they discover a comet) Trip answered a question from a student on this subject. He said the organic waste is reduced by some chemical reaction (polymer deconstruction?) and the result is used to make useful things such as tools. He did not say it was used to make food. I can not remember his exact wording.
I'll bet those are some pretty crappy tools, though...

- FM

Nightwing
This is it boys,this is war
Premium Member
join:2002-04-08
CT

Nightwing to leer

Premium Member

to leer
Space toilets explained.

Blast 420
join:2007-10-04
Tampa, FL

Blast 420 to leer

to leer
Click for full size

SRFireside
Houston, TX

SRFireside to Spice300

to Spice300
said by Spice300:

I think Star Trek TOS has matter replicators and use them to disintegrate waste and reassemble it into other things including food. At any rate once matter replicators are available on the star ships they are used to recycle all waste.
Agreed on the last statement, but I still don't think the TOS had replicators. I recall reading that transporter technology (or matter replication?) wasn't at a level where it could just be used for anything at that time. By the time TNG came about the technology was advanced enough and cheap enough to use it for just more than just site to site matter teleportation, but also for rearranging matter from one state or molecules to another.

I want to say I read it in the ST:TNG Enterprise Tech Manual. I also remember specifically reading about no replicator tech on maybe Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. It didn't specifically say they didn't use transporter technology, but it did give a different description on how the crew got their grub.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

3 recommendations

dadkins to leer

MVM

to leer
Hmmm want me to look it up?

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus to Bobcat79

Premium Member

to Bobcat79
said by Bobcat79:

Revenge of the Nerds

Porky's

2 and a Half Men

Spaceballs

Austin Powers

Full Metal Jacket

Oh, I can think of many more.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79

Premium Member

said by Homunculus:

said by Bobcat79:

Revenge of the Nerds

Porky's

2 and a Half Men

Spaceballs

Austin Powers

Full Metal Jacket

Those aren't TV shows.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 edit

dadkins

MVM

said by Bobcat79:
said by Homunculus:
said by Bobcat79:

Revenge of the Nerds

Porky's

2 and a Half Men

Spaceballs

Austin Powers

Full Metal Jacket

Those aren't TV shows.
One is...

»www.cbs.com/primetime/tw ··· alf_men/

Becker has before I think.
The Soaps have it from time to time.
Scrubs has done it I think
The Odd Couple did.
Married With Children - Al was proud to do it, took the newspaper too!
Al even built one in the garage...

SRFireside
Houston, TX

SRFireside to Bobcat79

to Bobcat79
said by Bobcat79:

said by Homunculus:

said by Bobcat79:

Revenge of the Nerds

Porky's

2 and a Half Men

Spaceballs

Austin Powers

Full Metal Jacket

Those aren't TV shows.
Are we talking about sitting in the toilet bathroom or actually seeing a bathroom in a show? This thread was dealing with not seeing a toilet in Star Trek, thus wondering how they were. In following that same vein there are fair amount of television shows that show bathrooms.

If you want actual toilet action you can add King of the Hill and The Maxx to the list of TV shows giving you the "septic thinker".

TransitMan
MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH

TransitMan to Homunculus

MVM

to Homunculus
said by Homunculus:
said by Bobcat79:

Revenge of the Nerds

Porky's

2 and a Half Men

Spaceballs

Austin Powers

Full Metal Jacket

TV show - NCIS
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300 to SRFireside

Premium Member

to SRFireside
said by SRFireside:

... I still don't think the TOS had replicators.
For making food you are correct according to Memory Alpha: Food Synthesizer. During the 22nd century (i.e. Enterprise NX), they use protein resequencers.

The waste disposal process explained by Trip involved recycling and a Bio-matter resequencer.

Here are some photos of the brig toilet from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. When unused, it is retracted into the wall.

SRFireside
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

SRFireside to Bobcat79

to Bobcat79
You can now add Battlestar Galactica to the list of TV shows with toilet action thanks to last night's episode.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus to Bobcat79

Premium Member

to Bobcat79
said by Bobcat79:
said by Homunculus:
said by Bobcat79:

Revenge of the Nerds

Porky's

2 and a Half Men

Spaceballs

Austin Powers

Full Metal Jacket

Those aren't TV shows.
Well, Star Trek is also a movie series...

And yeah.. 2.5 Men.. TV show.

Point stands. Besides, who wants to really see everyone taking a crap on TV. Nah.

Papi went to the bathroom in Seinfeld. He took a dump, didn't wash his hands, messed with his hair, and went back to the kitchen to make Jerry a speciala pizzaa pieeaaaaa.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to SRFireside

Premium Member

to SRFireside
Based on a commercial I saw, this week's 30-Rock episode will have a glimpse of Tina Fey sitting on the toilet taking a dump when the door to the bathroom is opened on her resulting in embarrassment.

SRFireside
Houston, TX

SRFireside

Saw that commercial, although I'm not convinced it's a poop moment. Girls sit down for everything.

30 Rock
King of the Hill
2 1/2 Men
Battlestar Galactica

So that makes four so far on bathroom action scenes on TV. Again I state that seeing bathrooms was the focus on this Star Trek thread so seeing bathrooms in television makes a point. In that I can name ten easy.

SSidlov
Other Things On My Mind
Premium Member
join:2000-03-03
Pompton Lakes, NJ

SSidlov to leer

Premium Member

to leer
There were tons of bathrooms on every Enterprise. »memory-alpha.org/en/wiki ··· quarters

I have one of the original Enterprise blueprint books, and there are lots. Each officer's cabin had a private bath. They never showed a 'john' on the screen, but the sink and mirror were universal and usually hidden behind a panel in a 'lower officer's quarters' or a door that lead into a separate room which may have doubled as a dressing room for the higher ranks. No reason that a commode couldn't have been hidden in there.

Also, in the Star Trek Enterprise (prequel) series, there was a famous scene where T'Pol and Trip were supposed to have sex in the uni-sex bathroom.

As for someone's caustic acid, if they used porcelain like we do today, that would certainly stand up to acids, but there is no reason to believe that they didn't have some light weight resins that were also used instead.

Logan 5
What a long strange trip its been
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
San Francisco, CA

Logan 5 to leer

Premium Member

to leer
Remember that humans are one of the few species in the star trek universe that actually dont internally recycle their own waste by-products from eating.

Maybe we need to "out-evolve" the potty once and for all....