2 edits

Nafets3 to flipinnh

to flipinnh

Re: Fairpoint switched over Verizon's alias names not username

said by flipinnh:

Thanks Nafets,

Did our web space address change also??
It's now home.myfairpoint.net/~username

I only use the web space for holding pictures I need displayed from in other websites like eBay or online forums.

After uploading the file to the /public directory, linking to the picture as home.myfairpoint.net/username/whatever.jpg works great...

I'm not sure what functionality you are getting from the web space, but for my simple usage it works just fine as it did with Verizon.

canaan
@myfairpoint.net

canaan

Anon

FTP almost working

I was able to use a program called Core FTP LE to transfer files to and from my public folder at home.myfairpoint.net using my user name and password. What I would like to do but can't, is to open an FTP uploaded document using a browser. »home.myfairpoint.net/use ··· ment.pdf doesn't work. It previously worked with Verizon using »mysite.verizon.net/reste ··· ment.pdf What is the Fairpoint browser web address to reach FTP files? Any suggestions? Thanks
Nafets3
join:2003-08-20

4 edits

Nafets3

said by canaan :

I was able to use a program called Core FTP LE to transfer files to and from my public folder at home.myfairpoint.net using my user name and password. What I would like to do but can't, is to open an FTP uploaded document using a browser. »home.myfairpoint.net/use ··· ment.pdf doesn't work. It previously worked with Verizon using »mysite.verizon.net/reste ··· ment.pdf What is the Fairpoint browser web address to reach FTP files? Any suggestions? Thanks
Try moving that .pdf file to the /public folder and going to home.myfairpoint.net/username/public/document.pdf. That has worked for me.

If there is no /public folder, try logging into the "Manage Account" link at myfairpoint.net. After doing so click on the "EasySiteWizard Pro" link, and then the "Begin" button. In the new window that pops up, just create a site, any site. No need to change anything. Click the "Publish" button. A /public folder along with a few others should now have been created in your web space. Confirm this with your FTP client. You should now be able to view/download files FTP'ed to the /public folder, from your web browser...

It could also be that Fairpoint's web space server is down, which I've seen happening at random, over the past few days. Most likely caused by this whole "transition period" thing. Give it some time, and they should have it all squared away (hopefully)...

canaan
@myfairpoint.net

canaan

Anon

Thanks for the reply. FTP client works, public folder exists, but home.myfairpoint.net/username/public/document.pdf doesn't work. So I will blame it on the transition and the server and keep trying over the next couple of weeks.

One of the mailings I received from Fairpoint said:

"But don't worry, we'll forward all your files from your Verizon-hosted web space. Your web space will be activated automatically with all your folders and subfolders exactly as you created them, so you don't need to do a thing. We'll also redirect your old web space address to your new one for 1 month....."

It would be nice if they got the web space working before the 1 month free redirect expires.
Nafets3
join:2003-08-20

1 edit

Nafets3

said by canaan :

Thanks for the reply. FTP client works, public folder exists, but home.myfairpoint.net/username/public/document.pdf doesn't work. So I will blame it on the transition and the server and keep trying over the next couple of weeks.

One of the mailings I received from Fairpoint said:

"But don't worry, we'll forward all your files from your Verizon-hosted web space. Your web space will be activated automatically with all your folders and subfolders exactly as you created them, so you don't need to do a thing. We'll also redirect your old web space address to your new one for 1 month....."

It would be nice if they got the web space working before the 1 month free redirect expires.
I had a number of files in my Verizon web space (all backed up to a USB flash drive), and none of them are or were in the Fairpoint web space. I'm chalking it up to me messing around with it too early. But no big deal for me.

I've played with it again now and here's what still works.

Put your files (document.pdf) in the /public folder, and access them at home.myfairpoint.net/username/document.pdf. The web space server is currently working, and viewing/downloading works for me this way, with a number of test files I've uploaded to the Fairpoint web space.

It's so wishy-washy right now; just have patience! I'm sure all of us mucking around behind the scenes doesn't help any, with what Fairpoint is trying to acheive...
Bob285
join:2008-09-10
Tenants Harbor, ME

Bob285

"It would be nice if they got the web space working before the 1 month free redirect expires."
Well for me redirection is not working. The old Verison site was locked for 5 days and now simply pops up and of course cannot be altered.
Fairpoint in hard copy & web info stated the web space url would be 'www.MyFairpoint.net/username'. It would have been nice to include the home. prefix.
Once I located the web space I found that it was populated but with a 11/01/08 version of the Verizon site. My 11/7/08 changes were not there. Using FileZilla I had to ftp (which worked) rebuilding the entire site from my 12/31/08 snapshot of the verizon site.
Now with no redirection I have to email all my known visitors of the new url.
I'm really not happy with this transition.
Bob_D