Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Can I use TurboTax 2007 to do taxes

For the 2008 year? Or do I have to go out and buy the new version?

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

You will need a new version.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
why not simply use the online version. i have used it for the last several years and can easily pull any of my returns from anywhere. plus if you only file federal it is free.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I agree with davidg See Profile. I've done my taxes through Turbo Tax Online for the past three years. Last year, when I filed, I had it direct deposited which I received two weeks later .

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

well I have to file my state so it's not really free for me
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
The software is changed every year to reflect the changes in tax code. You could use it, of course, but depending on the type of deductions, credits, etc that you taking, your taxes may be incorrect.

In other words, it's not worth saving $11.

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

4 edits

runnoft

Premium Member

said by tcope:

The software is changed every year to reflect the changes in tax code. You could use it, of course, but depending on the type of deductions, credits, etc that you taking, your taxes may be incorrect.

In other words, it's not worth saving $11.
No, you can't even use 2007 tax software for 2008 returns if you intend to print out the tax forms and file them, or do an e-file with last year's software. Your tax forms will be wrong. They'll have the wrong year on them. The IRS will reject your return.

You could use it to "figure" your taxes, and then fill out the forms from there by hand, but as tcope suggested, you probably won't end up with the correct total due.

If you're doing one relatively simple return, online works well and is the best value, even if you have to pay for a state return. (Check your state's tax department website, first, though. Many states allow free filing by phone or via their website and don't require a paper or third-party e-filing.) Some states are easy enough to do this way, like Illinois, which is basically, what was your income on line thisandwhatty on the federal return, multiply it by 3.5% or whatever, and send it in. There are a few additions and deductions, but very few, and it's at most a 10 minute return to fill out, so you hate paying for it. Other states have much more complicated return forms, some worse than the feds.

If you have multiple returns to do including children or other family members, or obviously if there are more complicated situations not covered in the free online returns that apply to your tax situation, for best value, just buy the software.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to Subaru

Mod

to Subaru
The amount for an exemption will be different from 2007.

The standard deduction will be different from 2007.

The tax tables will be different (because of indexing for inflation).

There are too many year-to-year changes to consider using the 2007 software.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit

CylonRed to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
nm

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?
join:2004-01-22
united state

dispatcher21 to Subaru

to Subaru
If you make less than $56k a year, you can file online for free. The IRS has a list of companies that provide this service. I just filed with H&R Block for free. Refund should be here in two weeks. I think for state returns its like $10 or something, but I dont know for sure, WA doesnt have state income taxes.
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned) to Subaru

to Subaru
You can do Federal for free and many(most?) States have an online filing method, also free.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

no way not doing my sate online at the CT site..

back in 2006 the CT website was saying I don't get any state money back where at the time I was using H&R block was saying I was to get back money.. so not sure what I filed both and they took the H&R block one over the sate.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
You are single, no kids, likely few deductions, etc, etc. Why do you need software to do your taxes ? Can't you file using a 1040EZ ?