Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to corinthos

Re: Dang

what I don't understand is why even in new developments here in the ohio valley they don't lay lines underground. The only place they burried the lines was along a street where they removed the power poles for a streetscape project.

Rampage522

join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL
kudos:1
Main reason is cost. It's incredibly more expensive to bury lines than to run them on a pole, even taking into account the *chance* of outages like this and the associated cost of the outage (versus the *certain* cost of burying them).

Also, things like tree roots, etc. can cause problems with underground lines, and outages can be more difficult (and time-consuming) to correct when they do happen.

Many power companies will gladly bury lines if someone (i.e. a city entity, neighborhood association, etc.) will cover the extra cost, but many are not willing or able to do that.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

what I don't understand is why even in new developments here in the ohio valley they don't lay lines underground. The only place they burried the lines was along a street where they removed the power poles for a streetscape project.
Lots of places in Ohio do - my moms previous house and the house was 20 years old. The places that bury the lines are usually wealthier sections of towns where the added cost is not as noticeable as it would be in a typically blue collar section of towns.

In my area of Ohio all new developments have the lines buried but there are problems with it - especially water. It is also more expensive to fix buried lines - another reason why poorer sections of towns or states burying cable is generally not done - especially in the country.