spc
Search similar:

uniqs
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Not an issue

As the purpose of the caps is to thwart Netflix and other online video offerings, TWC et al will find themselves in the crosshairs of the "Justice" department and sued by states attorneys general for violations of anti-trust regulations. The FCC will weigh in and spank them as well.

The negative publicity will benefit whichever ISP decides "Unlimited means Unlimited" and campaigns as such. Users will flock. TWC et al will the loser.
cryptmagic
Premium Member
join:2006-06-26
New York, NY

cryptmagic

Premium Member

I would rather get slower uncapped internet, then have a higher speed, and be overcharged for usage. This is another example of Time Warner trying to drain as much cash from its customers.
vinnie97
Premium Member
join:2003-12-05
US

vinnie97

Premium Member

Both Time Warner and AT&T can gladly go f*ck themselves.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to elray

MVM

to elray

Business model in trouble

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I agree Cable provider's real concern is customers doing an end run around their offerings by using the Internet to access content.

Using caps to control congestion is a pretty weak argument as congestion is result of peak data transfer not something averaged over the month.

To put caps into perspective a 90 minute HD movie or TV program is about 14 GB.

/tom

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by tschmidt:

To put caps into perspective a 90 minute HD movie or TV program is about 14 GB.
From what service? Netflix HD streams are not even anywhere close to that size. I think it really has to do with what they are being encoded with. I watch many movies streamed to my TV via Netflix and they are all right around 800 MB..Of course these are standard definition. HD pushes roughly 1.5-2 Gigs.

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier

Premium Member

DTV VOD HD for one hour can be 4+ GB.